Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 161/161/135

Height: 5 ft 1 in

Default Depression and Adrenal Fatigue

I've never actually been to a doctor or psychiatrist to know if I should be diagnosed with depression. However, I know I've been dealing with many of its symptoms in the past 6 or so years.
I've got a great life, but I have always had pangs of sadness. I go through bouts of insomnia. I feel hopeless, irritable, and just down. It's never gone as far as me wanting to commit suicide or hurt myself, so I guess that's the only upside to all of this. I frequently binge on junk food because I feel like maybe it will take my sadness away, which inhibits my weight loss efforts.
I'm too embarrassed to tell my parents I might be depressed and I need to see someone, but I don't know what to do. I don't really have anyone else I can talk to about it.
Are there any over the counter medications for depression?
Also, I had biofeedback done. The lady told me I had lots of chemical imbalances in my body, and that I probably have adrenal fatigue. I've read up on it, and besides taking some more magnesium and other supplements, I don't know anything else to help it.

I just felt the need to vent, thanks for reading.
beachbum88019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/212/160

Height: 5'6

Hi there beachbum!
There are some herbal supplements that are said to help with depression. The main one that I know about is called "Saint John's Wort." (One caution is if you are on cholesterol medicine, there is an interaction with it and St. John's Wort). I do not take the St. John's Wort because I am on Cholesterol Med.

I think taking the magnesium is probably helpful. I have just started taking that as well. I also take a Vitamin D supplement because if you are low on Vitamin D you can also feel kind of lethargic.

As far as talking to your parents goes....that is your decision. I am 33, and kind of regret that I never talked to my parents about some issues I was having when I was younger. I wonder if it would make any difference regarding where I am at this point in my life. I feel like I just buried stuff and kept it private for so long and am just now starting to deal with some things.

By the way, there is a book called "Adrenal Fatigue." It is written by a doctor who supports that there is a condition called Adrenal Fatigue. (I guess some doctors do not consider it to be a condition). Anyway, if you have not checked out that book, it may be worth looking into.
JennyGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

I know where you're coming from. I have battles depression for most of my life. I am 47 now, but when I was in my teens, I told my mother that I wanted to see a doctor because I felt that there was a problem. I had a lot of rage and mood swings and other issued. Unfortunately, my mother was and is still VERY concerned with what "other people" will think. Back then, to have taken your child to a psychiatrist would have been too embarrasing. Even now, she refuses to acknowledge that I am different. Although she knows I see a doctor and am on medication, she will never ask now I am or if things are going well. She would rather refuse to think that the problem exists. I would hope your parents would be more compassionate and understaning.

You can try the St. Johns Wort. I did but didn't really have much luck. I found out recently (after years of anti-depressants that didn't work) that I am bipolar. For bipolars ADs by themselves don't work. I am in no way suggesting that you are bipolar, or that you even need meds. Try other things first. I have also heard that Valerian (I think thats the correct name) root can be very helpful for anxiety. But if those things don't work, find a GOOD psychiatrist that can help. I was never suicidal either, but it is sure nice to be free of all the ups and downs that I went through over the years.

As for the adrenal fatigue, I recently started seeing a doctor who specializes in nutrition suppliments. He diagnosed me with adrendal fatigue and put me on supplements to help correct that. In the beginning I didn't really believe him but figured it couldn't hurt to try. He also told me that once me body started to heal, I would start to lose weight. Well, after about a month, the weight started to come off. I also started eating a LOT healthier. I have lost 30 lbs. without working out like a maniac every day. I know my eating has a lot to do with it, but do I believe this guy now? You betcha. So don't pooh pooh the idea of adrenal fatigue. I believe it exists.

Sorry this post is WAY too long, but I wanted to share my experience since it sounds a lot like yours. If you want to talk about it, I and many others are here. I wish you the best of luck and sincerely hope you find the answers you deserve.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I have my depressed moments and in the past I have used St. John's Wort and it works great for me. I just wish someone had of told me sooner that it can render birth control less effective. Thankfully there were no accidents but I stopped taking it after I learned that.

You are going to get better advice from other people on this topic, but just wanted to warn about St. John's Wort and birth control.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/240/140

Height: 5'3"

i am feeling the same way, wanting to lose weight but im just lacking something
motivation, reason, we should not have to be feeling this way we should love ourselves and only have in our mind that this journey is for us and will make us a better person in life. hang in there im right here with you
i cant haz cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I have heard St. John's Wort works well - but it will reduce the effectiveness of Birth Control Pills. Which I am on. So, now I am trying SAM-e. It is an over the counter supplement. It is kinda expensive (I get it at Bj's Wholesale for about $40 for a months worth). There is a bit of an adjustment period. It is upsetting my intestines a little. But I took it for a while last year, and once I adjusted those side effects went away and it seemed to work well.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote