Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 445/232/210

Height: 5'8

Default feeling more depressed after significant weight loss?

For many reasons, my life is going in a generally good direction. But I still can't help shake those old pangs of depression & anxiety.

I currently see a therapist who is trying to help me cope with such feelings. Like many people, I thought the weight loss would be the magical cure. It's not the case at all. I'm still me, with the same old personality and same set of life circumstances. At the same time, and I know this is complelely cliched, I don't have food to fall back on, as a mood booster. So now all these emotions that I hid are now front and center. No where to run, no where to hide.

I have to wait until June 1st to see a psychatrist, but in the meanwhile as I mentioned, I'm seeing my therapist weekly. It has been a help and while she's never been fat a day in her life, she's very empathetic to such issues.

I guess I needed a place to let off some steam, this isn't a question as much as a lament
dumplingtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #2  
newb

S/C/G: 178/174/130

Height: 5'3"

Sorry if I ask a dumb question... Losing weight.. by the looks of your stats you've been doing a fabulous job, congrats on that btw!

Have you tried exercise? Maybe you should up your level of activity by swimming, walking, getting out there and doing more.

(sorry if this gets long winded).. My brother died in Feb and my depression hit an all time low.. I felt just awful and worthless and.. so so so so sad. But as soon as I managed to get myself to a bit higher of an activity level my moods started to even out and I could finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Jesszika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #3  

Do you regularly go out with friends? They might help you in some way...
setweight4life is offline   Reply With Quote