Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5 foot 2 inches

Default Weight Loss On Zoloft

I've been on Zoloft for about a week now and even though my doctor said I wouldn't feel anything for about a week, I've dropped 3-4 pounds in one week- of course, this is aided with diet and exercise.
I know I shouldn't be complaining but I know this is a severe side effect that I should report to my doctor.
This sounds terrible but if this weight loss keeps going, I don't want to?
Anybody know why this weight loss is so terrible and am I wrong for being okay with this "side effect"?
leviedeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #2  
Chrisinct

S/C/G: 224/165/150

Height: 5'4

Well, it looks like you just started losing weight, right? Usually people see more weight come off early in their program, and then it evens out. You lose water weight too. I have been on Zoloft for 7 years now for anxiety and it has never affected my weight either up or down. I think in your case it may just be the timing of starting your diet and taking the Zoloft both around the same time. I'm not a doctor, but see how your weight loss continues over the next couple of weeks. It will probably taper off considerably. If you feel that it's still coming off too fast, then talk to your doctor ASAP. Hope this helps.
chris313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5 foot 2 inches

That's true. I guess I should give it a little more time before I jump to conclusions. Thanks!
leviedeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I would suspect it will slow down as you get used to it, but it's wise to let your doctor know.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I was on Zoloft for a while, about 12 years ago, & I lost oodles of weight, without trying at all. I also practically stopped sleeping.... All in all, there were many reasons why Zoloft didn't work for me!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #6  
On my way to a new me!

S/C/G: 205/168/145

Height: 5'6 ~ 44

i was on zoloft a few years back and didn't lose or gain on it, but congrats on the weight loss so far, keep it going
Savora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:27 AM   #7  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

The first time I was on Zoloft I lost a lot of weight because food just grossed me out. I had no appetite, and had to force myself to eat. It doesn't affect me that way anymore though.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I've been on Zoloft for a couple of months now and I too lost a few pounds right off the bat. My appetite is much less than it was before, but in my case, I was eating all the carbs I could get my hands on (I simply could not stop eating sugary garbage! I binged on it all day long!) before I started the Zoloft, so it's a good thing.

I'd say give it a little while and if you're still concerned, talk to your Dr.

Last edited by iDream; 05-01-2009 at 03:11 PM.
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/166.5/131

Height: 5'3

I was put on zoloft when I was 17 and it made me gain 20 pounds.

Antidepressants have different side effects for different people especially when it comes to increased or decreased appetite. I think you shouldn't be concerned yet...unless you stop eating to little and you know its unhealthy you should be Okay...
mizmizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

I gained on Zoloft. Lost on Wellbutrin.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #11  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

I have been on Lexapro for 4 months and gained. Was anyone else ever on Lexapro,and what were your thoughts on it? This was the first time I was on an antidepressent,so I have nothing to compare it to.
It dosent seem to be working as great as in the beginning.I do have a Dr.appointment in a few weeks,but I wanted some other points of view.
Thank you!Please help!
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #12  

I just started Pristiq 5 days ago.I have not weighed but can tell ive lost.Ive had no cravings and bingeing which for me is great.This drug is similar to effexor.I will have to see how it works.Obviously its too early to tell if it will help my depression.I have only tried Wellbutrin in the past and I gained on that.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #13  
Can't Wait For The New Me

Height: 5 Feet 3 Inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
I have been on Lexapro for 4 months and gained. Was anyone else ever on Lexapro,and what were your thoughts on it? This was the first time I was on an antidepressent,so I have nothing to compare it to.
It dosent seem to be working as great as in the beginning.I do have a Dr.appointment in a few weeks,but I wanted some other points of view.
Thank you!Please help!
I was on Lexapro about 4 years ago. It made me gain and lose weight. Some days I would want to eat a lot and other days I had to MAKE myself eat. I would always get hyper being on it. It helped a lil for me, not that that that much. But, I'm not on it anymore, and have never taken any other anti-depressant, so I wouldn't know which is best. -I know this is off-topic but another drug that made me gain a LOTTT of weight is the Depo-Provera shot! Not only did it make me gain, It also messed up my cycle , so that is one thing to stay far far far away from!-
~Mrs. Ci-Ci
iMrsCiCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 271/268.4/180

Height: 5'3"

I'm not sure if I gained or lost on Zoloft - they started me on it in the hospital just after my c-section in July.

But I know I lost a nice amount of weight on Cymbalta - that stuff totally killed my appetite at first.
scarlett7308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #15  
300+ Chick

I am on Zolft and doing wonders. Give it time so your body is used to it..Drink plenty of water. I get dry mouth. Peace be with you!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote