Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #1  

Question Talking To Dr. About Antidepressants

What is the best way to approach the dr. about antidepressants? I think I would greatly benefit because I suffer from SAD, but I am also concerned about weight gain. What's the best way to get the best med for my condition? How have any of you approached this? I've researched all of the ADs mentioned on the site and have a list ready to take to my dr. I'm just not sure how to approach the subject. I know she is a family doctor and not a therapist, but family doctors can prescribes ADs, right? Any input would be appreciated.
Healthy4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185.0/185/140lbs

Height: 5;4

Default healthy4life

Just let her know you are feeling "blue" and that you would like to go on something. My experience from working in a Doc's office is that at least every 3rd person that comes in is on something. Let her know you are worried about weight gain. If you don't have anxiety issues to begin with I do know the wellbutrin is pretty good, for most. Again, like so many have stated one pill isn't going to be the same for everyone. Heck , my coworker is 120 lbs and takes prozac 80 mgs a day and never gained. I took 20 and put on 40 lbs. So you just never know.

I'm currently taking the wellbutrin. It's trial and error the first mo. I do know i'm not reaching for food all of the time. I rarely get hungry. But I have anxiety and I have to talk to my Doc about that because wellbutrin can make it worse.

Good luck. Remember....not all meds work the same on everyone.

Hugs
Kelly
Kelly46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #3  

Thanks, Kelly. I discussed it with my doc today, and she decided on Celexa. She prescribed 5 mg, but the smallest dose it comes in is 10 mg. The pharmacist halved the tabs for me. I guess she wanted to try me on a really small dose. I hope this helps improve my outlook without adding poundage. Thanks again for your input. My Seasonal Affective Disorder is about to get active, but hopefully the small dose of Celexa will help curb those feelings. I wrote a list of antidepressants that I wanted to talk to her about, and she thought I had written them down because I was on all of them! She said, "Why do you need another antidepressant?" It was funny at the time.
Healthy4Life is offline   Reply With Quote