Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #16  

I use it to prevent migraines. I lost a little bit of weight at first, but then lowered the medication due to the cognitive problems...which have been extreme. After lowering the medication, the weight loss stopped. I still take a small amount of this medication, it helps the migraines a little...there is no weight loss. The way I see it, NO WAY is this medication worth the side effects for weight loss alone.
Fun Size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

There has been a lot said about the drug already- I take 50 mgs a day, and since I've been on it, I haven't had a migraine. I was getting them weekly, and for a drug to relieve me of them, I would be happy to take it for the rest of my life. Sure, my extremities fall asleep more often, anything carbonated tastes like complete crap (oh beer, how I miss you) and I find myself a little more forgetful, but this bad outweighs the good. I'm full after only a little bit, and for my weight-loss quest, it's a tiny little miracle drug! But I love it. I love anything that takes away the horribleness of migraines. Headaches are nothing compared to those things....

Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #18  

Yep, it's a really good medication for migraine relief. Migraines have been a nighmare in my life. But honestly, I'm not crazy about this med for weight loss alone (no migraines, etc.). I have concerns that folks might mistake this medication has something w/ little side effects and for me...it hasn't been pleasant...but help with those migraines is worth A LOT.
Fun Size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 217/217/195

Height: 5'7"

Smile It's been a good med for me.

Hi there,

This is the first time that I've snuck out of lurkdom to post on this site. Hopefully it's the first of many. Topamax has been wonderful for me in controlling my hypomanic symptoms. While I do have some of the foggy-memory that some of the PP's have mentioned, for me the benefits outweighed the side effects. I'm still taking it, along with Effexor and Zyprexa (which is the reason I have weight issues to begin with), and I'm glad I am (but that's a very personal choice, I understand).

Best of luck with your decision...

Marianne
Fiestyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 377/377/150

Height: 5' 4"

Default I take Topamax

I take Topamax for anxiety and depression with Prozac and Wellbutrin. I have taken Topamax for over 10 years now- 50 mgs 3 times a day. I have experienced NO weight loss (figures..lol). I have experienced some word search problems and I had to leave nursing school because of my inability to remember the large amounts of information needed for nursing exams (coupled with the fact that any grade under a B is considered failure). [I was a straight A student before the medication]
Is it worth it?? Who knows...but I do know my quality of life is better... I don't spend my days in my room crying convinced my life is over because of my severe arthritis. I don't stay in bed for 10 hours a day. And I still take it... so yeah. Take it if it works for you. I have had no problems with soda..or tingling... but it effects everyone differently. Good Luck and Bless...
WytchyMama is offline   Reply With Quote