Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/153/135

Height: 5'7

Default Weight Los & Lexapro. Sounds Like an Oximoron!!

Hi there,

I just came across this site after weeding thru thousands of others that basically gave no hope for those looking to lose weight while on Lexapro. I've put on a whopping 18lbs after being on the drug for one year, and it has been extremely difficult to loose even a pound. However, reading the postings of other lexapro users has now given me some hope.

I started lexapro because of my anxiety and depression. Now the symtoms are more manageable and I owe it all to the drug. However, now I just feel terribly un-attractive because of the excess weight. After finding this site my outlook is now somewhat more positve, but I would love it if someone could share their weightloss regiment with me.

Cheers
Moni35
moni35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Moni, and

I'm glad you found some insite here 3FC's is a warm wonderful place. One thing for sure is your not alone in your struggles. Good luck on your journey and its great to meet you.

You might want to do a search on Lexapro using our search button......bet you'll find oodles of info to read.

Take care,
Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

I have been able to lose 50 so far on Lexapro. Don't give up.
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/153/135

Height: 5'7

HI Catwuv,
YOur weight loss is really inspirational!! Can you tell me how you did it?? I run 3miles, 4 times a week. I don't count calories but I've never been a big eater, and have always stayed away from junk food eating mostly organic foods. But even with my healthy lifestyle, I still can't shed the pounds I put on as a result of the Lexapro. I think part of it my be due to my lack of sleep. I have chronic insomina that not even sedatives like Valium or klonopin can help. Maybe my adrenals are in overdrive producing too much cortisol? That's the only thing I can think of. I would love to hear how you dropped the pounds!!

cheers
Moni35
moni35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #5  

I understanfd how you feel I put on 80lbs with Depakote (yes 80) I've been losing through a combination of tracking my food with fitday and working out with a personal trainer 3x a week.
tasche13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Hi,

I think everyone reacts differently to Lexapro in regards to whether they gained weight. I have a lot more to lose so I had some weight loss momentum in that respect. Maybe you have reached a set point plateau that will take time to break through. I lost weight by counting calories and water aerobics plus plenty of water. It took me a long time because I would fall of the wagon a lot. I started weight training and that is really working for me now. In regards to cortisol levels, I have read that cardio will cause a surge in cortisol levels because of the stress it puts on the body. How is your emotional stress level? Not getting enough sleep is the worse for weight loss. Make sure you are getting enough calories too so your body doesn't feel like it has to hold on to extra weight.
Good luck!
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #7  
Happy as a clam..........

S/C/G: 268/178/165

Height: 5'8"

I've been taking Lexapro for 3+ years. After getting the dosage to the
most helpful level, I am feeling so much better than I used to. I started the
South Beach diet the end of January this year and have lost 90 lbs.
Don't give up!!
downsizer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #8  
Pizzaholic

S/C/G: 138/133/125

Height: 5' 6"

I've been on and off Lexapro for the last 4.5 years (rx'd for anxiety and depression). At one point I was on it for a year and then off for a year... then on again for 1.5 years and then off for the past 8 months. I recently started back up again.

I never gained a pound on Lexapro that I could contribute to Lexapro itself. I did gain about 5 pounds overall during the 5 years period, but a lot of that was due to lack of exercise and just not being as careful about what I was eating (despite 'thinking' that I was at the time). I think when you are on any medication that may/may not affect weight gain, it's extra important to make sure that you are exercising daily AND that you are counting calories. More often than not, people tend to underestimate their calorie intake by a pretty hefty amount.

And now, a little bit of Lexapro weight loss inspiration...

My mother, also a Lexapro user and age 59, has been on the drug for about a year now. She is 5'3" tall and has always weighed somewhere between 135 (at her lowest) and 155 (at her heaviest). She has bounced between those numbers for at least 20 years now. This past May she was up around 155 pounds again and decided to join weight watchers (while still taking 10mg of Lex daily). She steadily lost nearly 2lbs a week on Weight Watchers and reached her goal weight of 140lbs a few months ago. She's maintained that weight ever since... still while taking the Lex.

Good luck to all of you! You can do it!!!
Shellabree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/ 171/ 130

Height: 5"5

Hi all! I am new to 3FC but I am enjoying reading!!!! After reading all of these posts- I feel much better! I have been taking a very low dose of Lexapro off and on for the last year for mild anxiety. (stress induced I believe) I have gained weight during this but I don't think it has anything to do with the medication!! I am however starting to take it again and was afraid of possible weight gain!
I think I just need to eat better and exercise more and I will probably be fine!
Has Lexapro been shown to produce excess Cortisol or something? I am clueless as to how it could actually contribute to weight gain........any thoughts??
ToBeWed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 174/166/145

Height: 5'3"

Smile

I have been taking 10mg of Lexapro a day for the past year. I have been on many various anti depressants over the past ten years(zoloft, paxil, effexor, cymbalta, etc...). I have also gained about 40lbs in the past ten years. I can't say if my weight gain is due to the meds or just my lifestyle but I am definately ready to lose this excess weight! I started southbeach two weeks ago and have lost 8 lbs which has shown me that it is possible to lose the weight..........it's just going to take a lot of hard work and will power.
carebear420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #11  
valligirl

S/C/G: 242/229/175

Height: 5'6"

I've been on 20mg of Lexapro for the last three months and started dieting 5 weeks ago. With mild exercise and a calorie intake of 1800 per day I have lost 12 pounds...I think if you're reasonable and not predisposed to react to these meds with weight gain you will be successful at dropping weight...
valligirl is offline   Reply With Quote