Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #1  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default How does depression/anxiety affects your efforts?

What do you all do when you are feeling so depressed and/or anxious? What do you do besides eat?

I don't know how to function when I am stricken with anxiety/depression. I eat and I never feel satisfied so I eat some more. This has happened since Saturday for me. I tried calling my friends and that helped some. I tried talking to my husband and that helped a little. I felt so hopeless, though, and the only thing that made me feel better was to eat...well, it made me feel better the moment I was eating it.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Have you tried some intensive exercise when you get in that place? Depending how deep your depression/anxiety issues are, I don't know if this is possible for you...definitely people in the middle of severe depressive episodes have trouble getting moving, and thats a larger issue. But, for me (diagnosed PTSD, anxiety disorder, and recurrent depressive episodes which cause insomnia and, previously, overeating, for what its worth), nothing will calm my anxieties and relieve my depression symptoms better than exercise.

So for me, depression/anxiety actually HELPED my efforts, in a strange way, because it gave me an additional motivation to exercise. I knew that if I stopped the exercise, I wouldn't be managing my symptoms as well, and it was a MARKED difference with even a day or two of skipping the gym, so I kept my motivation a lot easier.

That being said, on days when I'm having problems with my anxiety or experiencing insomnia due to a depressive episode and the exercise hasn't calmed it down, it can be horrible to get out of the house and get moving/eating healthfully.

and lots of support to you.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #3  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

It used to... but I am HUGE believer (now!) of finding the right medication. Without Seroquel, I don't think I could have either a) started losing weight, or b) kept losing weight. And I tried a LOT of medications and diets.

Now, I run, or lift weights, or walk the dog when I get down... and sometimes I do just have to sit and cry.

Hang in there -
Heather

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 10-10-2007 at 06:55 PM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

For me nothing else matters when I'm in a full fledged depressive episode. Therefore when things are going well my biggest motivation to workout is to prevent the depression from returning. It is truly the most important priority for me.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #5  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Anxiety is horrible it effects everything and when I get those blue days that can last for days and days. I don't eat. Have no desire to eat. That is bad.

We have tried so many meds over the years but since my tummy is so messed up, lots of ulcers when I was a kid and young adult. Being painfully shy in real life is harder than people think. We found meds that worked great but after about six month just couldn't take the tummy pain anymore. Anyway, I have a real hard time taking meds. So, meds weren't the way I could go.

Don't give up finding the right medications, most people don't have the tummy problems I have and the meds really can be the answer. Chatting to everyone here is more help than I can explain. I get to get it all out, I feel better. Chatting on line has helped period not just here. I don't have to be face to face with someone and worry about how I look. Do you really want to see me with face cream on and wearing my big rabbit slippers lol?

Last edited by Shy Moment; 10-10-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeguard View Post
For me nothing else matters when I'm in a full fledged depressive episode. Therefore when things are going well my biggest motivation to workout is to prevent the depression from returning. It is truly the most important priority for me.
I agree totally with Lifeguard. When I'm at my worst I can't think about anything even getting out of bed, showering, etc. do not happen so there is no exercise and I eat. I know some people don't eat in a severe depressive episode but I do.
However when I can finally get out - even if it's just a stroll around the block - it does wonders for my head. None of this would happen with out my meds. I've been on them for ten years they have mostly kept me able to live a relitively normal life.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

My current medicine does wonders for my anxiety. Not so well for my depression. And when I'm depressed, I eat, for the taste of it, sometimes to the point of feeling physically sick.

Sometimes I have been able to divert myself by spending money -- which isn't a great alternative, actually, but I get some nice stuff out of it. One day I went out to the florist and bought like $50 of flowers and put them all around my house, and that helped. Another time I went shopping for books. Another time I went shopping for a new comforter.

So, sometimes that helps, but now that the bills are coming in I need to find a cheaper alternative! Next time I feel cravings I'm going to try going to the local Target store, and buying a coloring book and some crayons, and regress for a bit...
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #8  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

rabid
I went thru that had to shop even if it meant getting a pack of gum. Thank heavens I have stopped that. Have enough bills to last me a life time. Never thought about coloring, I use to love to do that with the kids.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #9  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Medication has been a lifesaver for me. Not only does it keep me out of the pit of despair I had taken up residence in, but it has dampened my appetite quite a bit. That isn't to say that sometimes the depression/anxiety and desire to stuff myself aren't there at times, but now it's easier for me to handle it.

I am just like you in that when I was feeling really bad, the only thing that would make me feel even the slightest bit better for just a few minutes was eating. Afterwards (if it was a bad binge) I would feel even worse for having done it. Hopelessness is such a horrendous emotion. But there is so much hope for you! I think you are doing the right thing by reaching out to others, but if you haven't already, do think about taking to someone about whether medication could be of help to you.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:10 PM   #10  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

You all have such good ideas. I was so frozen (but not too frozen to go to that buffet) that even though I *thought* about going for a walk, I just couldn't do it. And I like the idea of the coloring book...I love to draw/paint/etc...that might be a good idea for me.

I have to say that I am on the right meds for me: I am on Lamictal, Risperdal and Ativan. These generally help me but this time, the stress of school was just too much. I had to let some of it go and just do the best that I could do. I stopped reading a book altogether, with no plans on finishing it...for that class, I talked to my teacher about what I am going through and he said not to finish it and not write my essay on that book. That was a big relief.

I am going to *try* to exercise the next time I'm anxious/down, but that's what I say now...who knows what I will feel like when I'm in the throes of it all. I did/do the shopping thing, too...that's very dangerous for me...I like spending money (that I don't have!) way too much. My therapist once suggested that I go to the dollar store if I feel I really have to spend money. I haven't tried it but I think it's an interesting idea.

I wish I was one of those people that can't eat when they are depressed, but I'm the opposite!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote