Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:01 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 189/175/125

Height: 5'4"

Awesome, Velveteen!!

I'm glad you kept going, its worth it. I remember the crying jags when I missed a dose...it seemed justified to me too!!

I am on a low dose of Wellbutrin, which is working for me. I am also counselling, which really just gives me an outlet to vent about life...I save it up and let 'er out and feel really good.

I hope you find your happiness...don't be afraid. Again, you are not alone.

Sincerely, Karwie
karwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:51 PM   #32  

Height: 5'8"

I have been taking effexor for almost 3 years... I had never been on any anti-depressant before that... But I have been depressed or anxiety filled most of my life, I guess some could say some of it was just being a teenager, but the feelings didn't go away when I got older... it was after my father commited suicide that I started taking them, because I started having suicidal thoughts along with the depression... I have always been overweight, but not as much as now... I am 5'8" and 280!!! I am 23 and in college, and I gained some when I started, but it seems just in the last year I have gained at least 70 lbs, without changing anything in my diet or daily life.... I don't feel suicidal, but I in Fall last year I was cutting, and stopped with my mom's help (who is a therapist and talked with me about things, and during the whole stopping process) I still feel sad, and have anxiety about things... But I don't feel like I did when I was off of effexor, so I thought this was just normal... After reading all of this, I just don't know what to think any more...
sassycassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:07 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Sassycassy - Please remember that everyone reacts differently on each drug. Perhaps you should check in with your doctor to reassess your medication needs. I have been taking effexor for a number of years & it made things ok but not good. This year we played around adding complimentary anti-depressants until we found the right one. Now I feel better than I have in over 10 years. Unfortunately this is one of those things that takes some perseverence, which is difficult with depression.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:58 PM   #34  
Hockey Mom

S/C/G: 265

Height: 5'1"

I had those "brain zaps" when I *started* Efexor..... isnt that weird? Anybody else know why? Has anybody else had these when starting it?
An MRI, full neurological and ENT workup showed nothing..... I recently realized it was a s/e..I could never explain that "sensation" in my head.... I am so happy to know there is a term for them, and someone else in the world knows about it..... "brain zaps"......When I tried to describe it, to the many doctors, nurses, etc... they would always conclude...."ok , so how long have you been feeling "dizzy"? I would want to run screaming from the room saying " I AM NOT DIZZY!!! THIS IS NOT A DIZZY FEELING!!!...lol but nobody understood.........It eventually stopped, and I feel great on it.... but I think its weird that I got withdrawal efects, when I *started* it....
MeBigGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:59 AM   #35  

Height: 5'8"

Lifeguard- Thanks for the reply... I am glad that you are one some meds that are working for you now... I think I am going to try out a differnet dr. and maybe some different drugs... I really just don't feel good about having to up my meds every year or two because they stop working for me... And this weight gain, and no loss is killing me... I am more depressed because I am more fat and can't fit into my clothes... I wish there was a drug that would work by itself... we will see...
sassycassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 215/208/150

Height: 5'10"

I have been on Effexor for almost two years. A few times I have missed a few doses (ran out, had to wait to get a refill, you know how that goes)....and OMG, it was awful. The brain zaps kicked my butt. I couldn't turn my head without getting "ZZZZZTTT!"....I didn't trust myself to drive! My heart feels like it is going nutso. It's not - I know that because I actually ended up in the ER last winter thinking I was having a heart attack but my EKG was perfectly normal - but that's what it feels like. And I go pretty psycho after a few days.....anything can set me off into a rage.

I would kind of like to get off the stuff, but have not made a serious effort yet. I'm half afraid to!! I'm amazed that I get these side effects, because I took Paxil several years ago and had no problems coming off it in spite of all the reports of hideous withdrawal.

When I was in my 20's my doc had me try some AD (I think it was Tofronil, but not sure).....and it made everything I ate taste like ONIONS. Even chocolate...tasted just like a damn onion. Uh, that's a side effect I can do without, Thank You Very Much. LOL!! Aren't psychiatric drugs bizarre??
bodhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:36 AM   #37  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I had terrible issues going off Paxil to start Effexor in the first place. I can truly say that's when I hit rock bottom and started to think that suicide was my only answer. THANK GOD there were a few people in my life who convinced me otherwise!

Being 4 weeks free now and still feeling "blue" or depressed for no apparent reason I have come to realise that nothing is ever going to "help" me unless I get off my butt and get busy. Even if that means doing something at home, keeping busy, reading, watching something, organising my closet, etc., THAT is actually what relieves me of doomsday feelings. I admit I STILL think "why bother?" (with EVERYTHING, not just my WL efforts) because my brain is going way too fast for me to actually enjoy anything.

I am still going to therapy, though I'm taking a break right now due to money issues (this is a BIG trigger for my depression). I'm just trying to keep talking and keep reaching out AND actually allowing myself to be upset, to cry, and not keep everything in like I used to do.

No matter what, drugs or not, I am *this close* to accepting that it's OK to feel this way and that for some people life just isn't a piece of cake. I can still do my best to find the good in the big picture
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:36 PM   #38  
lost in translation

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'4

I'm new to these boards, but I saw this post and I'd just like to chime in about Effexor. I've been taking it since high school (I just graduated from college) and while I haven't found it especially helpful for depression, it has made a world of difference with anxiety.
I used to have anxiety attacks ALL the time, and even a small dosage of Effexor (I've been on everything from 37.5-300) makes a huge difference for me. It's kind of the difference between living normally and living in constant fear/worry, even when there is nothing logical to worry about. I had tried different types of cognitive behavioral therapy, but Effexor was the first thing that worked for me. I stopped taking it for a while after came back from studying abroad in Portugal because I thought I was over my old problems, but hte anxiety came right back with a vengeance (and I gained a ton of weight when I briefly went off it, some-- but not all-- of which I lost when I went back on it).
So, I know a lot of people on this board have had bad experiences with it, but Effexor can definitely enhance the quality of life for others, at least it enhanced my quality of life. I haven't had any side effects with it ,but if I accidentally miss a dose, the next day I end up crying in my boyfriend's arms about something ridiculous. And then he's like "did you take your medicine?" and I'm like "how dare you trivialize my feelings!... wait, no I forgot..."
mariarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:34 AM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariarose View Post
if I accidentally miss a dose, the next day I end up crying in my boyfriend's arms about something ridiculous. And then he's like "did you take your medicine?" and I'm like "how dare you trivialize my feelings!... wait, no I forgot..."
How many times have I had that conversation!?! Too funny!!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 215/208/150

Height: 5'10"

Does anyone else sweat like a total pig on Effexor?? I've been trying to figure out if something else is causing it, but don't know what it could be. I know my weight plays a role, but I think it is mainly the drug. All SSRI's make me sweat.....Paxil was bearable, Prozac was not....but this is ridiculous. It is mostly my scalp....but I can't do anything without feeling/looking like I just got out of the shower. Shopping in a air-conditioned store, sweeping the living room, anything....the sweat runs down my face!

This thread has really gotten me to thinking about trying to get off this stuff again. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow to discuss it. Then I'll have to warn my husband....LOl...
bodhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #41  

I just had breast cancer surgery - it was very early stages & thank God they got it all! Because of really bad menopause symptoms, the oncologist said I couldnt take Tamoxifen and recommended Effexor to help with the hot flashes, insomnia and depression. I've only had three doses and I feel horrible! Can't stop yawning (surprised it's actually a noted side effect), running hot and cold, hand tremors, kept losing my train of thought in meetings, BP rising and when I saw my pupils were dilated I decided it wasn't for me and didnt take it today. I know I need something for depression despite the menopause - I've been in denial for sometime. But, I don't want to go through this again. Is this a normal reaction when first starting anti-depressants?
FatCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #42  

You should really give it more than 3 days. It takes a while sometimes for our bodies to get used to something new, & starting & stopping isn't great for it. I would say keep on it for a little longer & monitor things. If it's still miserable go back to your doctor. Treating depression is such a high priority - it changes everything else.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #43  
Jai

S/C/G: 167/162/130

Height: 5'1

i know this was posted awhile ago, but i'd just like to say that coming off effexor was one of the best and worst things i've ever had to do. it took me almost a month to get over the withdrawls, but once i got it out of my system, i felt soooo much better.

for anyone else coming off effexor, talking with and hugging the ones you love is the best way to get through it!
ladyjai24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #44  
Losing it :)

S/C/G: 175/149.5/135

Height: 5'1"

I gained so much weight on Effexor. I also was exhausted ALL THE TIME. For some reason, I didn't realize how exhausted I was until I was off of the Effexor.
Anyway, I tried several times to get off of it...I just couldn't get through it! Then, a few months after my son was born, I decided I couldn't do that to him. I couldn't be that person that I was when on the medication. So, that was the LAST time I weened off of it. I took prozac to help. It was totally different. It was hard but the Prozac helped in a big way.
shaykha is offline   Reply With Quote