Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/176/140

Height: 5'4

Default Where did my motivation go?

Seven years ago I graduated from university and started a new job. I joined weight watchers and lost 20 pounds. I was absolutely committed to it, even driving to a neighbouring town to attend meetings as there was nothing local. Two years later I was diagnosed with depression and gained 30 pounds in two years. I've tried Jenny Craig, South Beach, Slim Fast, gone to a dietician and gone back to Weight Watchers. But deep down I don't have the drive that I did before. I managed to switch antidepressants, I don't think I could go without them. My weight has finally plateaued but I just can't manage to lose more that 5 pounds.

Really I think I miss that determination I had before when I lost 20 pounds. Not sure if the antidepressant or just me to blame. Carrying this extra weight is so hard on the body and I want to lose the weight but how to I get back my motivation/determination?
silverstar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:21 AM   #2  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

I truely believe that if I had that answer, the exact, right answer, I would be a millionaire. We have all struggled with this. No matter what our reasons for wanting or needing to lose weight, sometimes they just can't get us to do what we need to. I have lost 55lbs once, hitting Lifetime at WW, 31 lbs once, 20 lbs another and each time I thought that I would never ever go back to the way I was and the next thing I know there is a candy bar in my hands and I'm back where I started. I don't know the answer, but I guess there are things that help to start the process. Having depression doesn't help b/c it zaps motivation. I would start there and try to do everything possible to treat that and at least that may level the field a little. It usually helps me also to take some time and make a list of all of the things I hate and have missed out on being fat and unhealthy all these years. Really feel the burden of it all and remember that although it doesn't seem like it, we alone choose what goes in our mouths. Sometimes I also try to be thankful that I have a problem that I can fix, instead of an ailment that I have no control over, such as cancer or a chronic disease.
Just keep reading and posting, your sure to find some inspiration, empathy, and plenty of folks just like you.
hope4me is offline   Reply With Quote