Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #16  

I know this must be really hard for you. It's not easy seeing all the thin girls having what you want for yourself. Although you are playing with the dangerous idea of bulemia, part of you wants someone to talk you out of it, because you already know it's not healthy. The truth is, there really is no guarantee that even with losing weight this guy will be interested in you. I'm sure there are lots of other girls who are thin who also have crushes on him, and he doesn't give them the time of day. You should also think about why you believe you need to be with somebody who's already in a relationship? My guess is it's not really about the guy and the person he is, but more about what he represents, and that is perfection. Keep in mind that is not reality.
My question to you is do you even know this guy? I mean aside from the fact that he plays varsity and he's attractive, do you talk to him? Are you friends with him? Do you have any friends in common? That would be a good place to start. Another truth: Most women at one time or another have done something silly to please a guy or get his attention. The trick is to learn from it and move on. Just know if you go the bulemic route, it's a long way back.
lola06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 255/223/135

Height: 5' 4"

When I was 25, I completely fell in love with a 35 year old guy I felt would not look twice at a girl who was as fat as I was. I had a lot of interaction with him over the phone at my job (he was a client of the company), and I developed quite a crush on him. One day I decided to get a look at him. He was movie star handsome as well as smart and funny. I secretly loved him from afar while I set about losing 70 pounds. I know people always say "don't lose weight for anyone, do it for yourself" blah blah, but I have to tell you ... it was great motivation.

It took me almost a year to lose the weight. I still wasn't thin by any stretch of the imagination (size 12), but I looked nice.

We were together for 12 years.

I kept the weight off for years after we broke up. In the past several years I have had various devastating losses and health problems that have led to me gaining that 70 pounds back (plus a lot more).

I think some of the main difference in my situation and those of some of the above posters are:

I was very accepting and loving of myself before I lost the weight. I just finally met someone I liked more than Little Debbie snacks.

He wasn't all about looks. Yeah, he liked women with nice bodies (what man doesn't, lol) but that wasn't all he was looking for in a woman. I knew for a fact that he liked me as a person. It was me who didn't want my weight to possibly be a deal-breaker. Each person has a standard of what is attractive and acceptable to them, and I suspected that his idea of attractive wasn't obese. I didn't fault him for that. My personal deal-breaker is if someone is a smoker.

A few years later I showed him a photo of my "fat" self and asked if he would have been attracted to me. He admitted that my being that heavy would have made a difference to him and he would never have asked me out at that weight. We would have just been pals. My next question was obviously "what if I gain weight over the years?". He reassured me that it would not be an issue because he loved me. He just wanted me to be healthy and happy.

I wasn't angry at men who preferred women who were slimmer than I was. Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. There are men that I truly like and even love as friends but I could never be into them in "that" way. How sexually appealing I find them has nothing to do with their worth as a person. I never took anyone elses sexual preferences as a measure of my self-worth either.

Although I lost the weight because of him, I kept it off for ME. I discovered that I really enjoyed life as a non-obese person.

Lindsy, If his only qualification for the girls he dates is "thin", run like ****. Bulimia may seem like a good idea, but it isn't. Among other things, it will ruin your teeth. Do a google image search and see what is in store for you if you go down that road. You "think the world of him". What does he think of you?
HobokenLady is offline   Reply With Quote