Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #1  
Here I go...AGAIN!

S/C/G: 378/355/190

Height: 5'10"

Default Cymbalta and weight gain

Anyone else found that they gained weight on cymbalta? My doc said it makes your stomach upset and people generally lose weight, but I feel like its done the opposite for me. Now that I am on it I eat a ton and dont' care and cravings have been through the roof. Most weight gain below my belly button. Anyone else?
meganL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

I have heard that a lot of anti-depressants cause weight gain. My cousin is on one right now, I'm not sure which, and she has gained.
I think its the nature of the drugs, I've never heard of weight loss on anti-depressants.
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash15+ View Post
I've never heard of weight loss on anti-depressants.
I have, Welbutrin and Prozac just to name two. Everyone will have different reactions to different drugs.

Hi Megan and

If your not happy, please call your doctor there is no reason to suffer Maybe the side effects won't last long.....but the only way to find out is to call your doctor and discuss whats going on.

Good luck and please let us know what happens

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #4  
fatty2hottie2007

S/C/G: 290/278/150

Height: 5'7"

Back in October I finally decided to do something about my depression and I told the doctor that I didnt want any medication that would make me gain weight and Cymbalta was what she gave me. One of the side effects listed is decreased appetite. Ive not gained any weight on it and the only side effects I had from it was bad fatigue and migraines for the first few weeks, but those went away once my body got used to the meds!
fatty2hottie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I took it for 2 months. I didn't notice any increase in appetite or any weight gain.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/???/160

Height: 5'11

I've never been on Cymbalta before but when I was on Zoloft, I gained 75lbs in 8 months. A lot in my mind! Then I started on Wellbutrin and lost 40lbs in two months. I loved it!! That was 7 1/2 years ago and I've since gained the 40lbs back plus some. Quite a few AD's have the weight gain side effect and it sucks!! Good luck though!

Lilmissme

lilmissme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Most antidepressants can affect appetite, sleep, mood, and sex drive EITHER way.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:54 PM   #8  
No cake 4 Gingercakes!

S/C/G: 211/204/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Cymbalta, and its fridge opening effects

I'm so glad someone asked about Cymbalta.... I was going to start my own thread about it until I found this one. I have been taking it for almost a year now, and it makes me very hungry, almost uncomfortably hungry. I now take it at night, and for a while, I was getting up in the middle of the night and STUFFING myself, but after a while, I forced myself to stay in bed, no matter how starving I was, and it seems to have calmed down.

Of course there's no medication in the world that can be blamed in itself for weight gain, but some do, and some don't affect your appetite... it's different for different people.

Anyway, short answer, yes. Cymbalta makes me very hungry..... no matter what the doctors say about it. Just my two cents.

Gingercakes
Gingercakes is offline   Reply With Quote