Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:28 AM   #31  

So glad I saw the heading. I had no idea the Effexor might be contributing to weight gain. Cr*p! And I'm also taking Arimidex (post chemo & radiation) which I know contributes to weight gain. But there must be SOME way to combat it.... any successes? Please feel free to reply by PM.
PainterWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:47 PM   #32  

I was on Effexor XR about 4 to 5 years ago....I did notice that I had no appetite while on it & lost about 27 lbs.
Then I went to a new doctor....he put me on a different antidepressant.

Last spring I went on Zoloft....since then I have gained about 20 lbs.....couldn't seem to stop eating on the zoloft....also since being on the zoloft have trouble going to sleep at night.

I went back on the Effexor 3 weeks ago....so hope I will be able to go to sleep at night again & to lose my appetite.

Bobbie
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #33  
lisa

S/C/G: 209.5/193/135

Height: 5'2"

Hello,
I have been on Effexor XR for 3+ years now. I hate/love it! I have gained weight which I feel has contributed to the weight gain or ability to not take it off. I have tried several times to wean off it with horrible effects. My dose is less but I would like to try to get off it completly. My doc also said it does not cause weight gain and you can not become addicted to it! Ha! Then why the horrible effects when you are weaning off it??? I have even cut the dose in 1/2 advised by doc and then in 1/2 again etc. But the feeling is horrible!!
I would love to be med free someday!
I am glad to hear that there are others with weight gain and withdrawl symptoms too!
I thought it was just me!
I would like to hear how people do trying to wean off Effexor. How long do you feel so bad??
I hope this link keeps going,
Lisa
lottalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 AM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottalisa View Post
Hello,
My doc also said it does not cause weight gain and you can not become addicted to it! Ha! Then why the horrible effects when you are weaning off it??? I have even cut the dose in 1/2 advised by doc and then in 1/2 again etc. But the feeling is horrible!!
I would love to be med free someday!
I am glad to hear that there are others with weight gain and withdrawl symptoms too!
I thought it was just me!
I would like to hear how people do trying to wean off Effexor. How long do you feel so bad??
I hope this link keeps going,
Lisa

Hi lisa,

I'm sorry you're going through the nightmare of effexor withdrawal. Sometimes I get really irked with the psychiatric profession in general because it seems that they are either completely ignorant, or they are deliberately misleading people.

Here's an overview of Effexor from the most reliable source I have ever found (crazymeds.org). I've been using this site as a medication resource ever since it came online in 2003, and it has always given the most thorough and ACCURATE info of any sources, including my doctors! Here is the truth about Effexor, both the good and bad:

Pros: There are two last resorts among the modern meds to cure the deepest, blackest depression when your doctor is just switching you from one horsie to another on the med-go-round: Effexor (venlafaxine hydrochloride) and Remeron (mirtazapine). Either in combination with an antipsychotic would really get you out of that hole of despair, but first you should throw away every mirror and scale in your house and buy expandable clothing. But for deep, despairing clinical depression that needs to respond to the standard tweaking of the three most popular neurotransmitters, Effexor (venlafaxine hydrochloride) often pulls people out of the abyss.

Cons: For many people Effexor has the absolute worst discontinuation syndrome of an antidepressant. Effexor (venlafaxine hydrochloride) is a medication people utterly loathe to have taken. It is not uncommon for someone to fire doctors during or immediately after they quit taking Effexor (venlafaxine hydrochloride). (so no, lisa, it isn't just you!)

I don't know how long it takes for the withdrawal effects to subside, but you may want to see if your doc can give you something to lessen the effects. I've read that some people have had luck with Cymbalta making Effexor withdrawal a bit easier. I don't know if this is an option for you, but it might be worth discussing with your doc. YMMV, of course.

Good luck, and I hope things improve soon!
lilith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 260/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I gained 36 lbs in a year on effexor. I'm on Welbutrin XL now and have still been able to lose.
wannabsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:17 PM   #36  
Carol

I was switched from Effexor to Wellbutrin today. I told the doctor that I felt that the Effexor was making me gain weight, and I felt sluggish and distorted a lot. She said that wellburtrin may help me loose the weight. But, I feel like, yeah right. Nothing helps. I just have to get control of my eating.
carols2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:38 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 155/138/125

Height: 5'4"

Default any happy stories?

has anyone lost weight while on effexor?
debbieduzLAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #38  

I had to add to this thread. I was on Effexor for about 2 weeks and i thought i had something seriously wrong with me. I was dizzy and totally out of it. It was awful! I coulnt make my hands do what i wanted them to. I was on lexapro and had absolutly no problem. I am now on Welbutrin and its wonderful! I think everyone is differant when it comes to this stuff. I work in a mental institution and i see it all the time.
Daffadil71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:07 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 258/244/150

Height: 5ft 9

Hi There,

I took Effexor for 2 years. Personally, I always felt hungry on it and gained around 20kg /44lbs.

Yes, it was effective, but this lessened as my body adjusted to it. I was put on Fluoxetine (which I'm still on) and that doesn't have the same effect.

Rachel.
NZ Rach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #40  

Default withdrawl

I have tried to get of of effexor several times,the withdrawls are nasty,I have been on for 2 years gained 25 lbs,how long do the withdrawls last?
anyone had sucess going off permanently using diet and exercise?
anyone lost the weight after?currently doing LAWL and exercise as a last resort any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #41  
lisa

S/C/G: 209.5/193/135

Height: 5'2"

Debbie,
I am currently on Effexor and I have been on it for a few years. I have tried getting off it but the withdrawls are horrible! I have been on a lower dose(75mg) but hope to completely come off it soon. I have to make a Drs appt to have it decreased and to find out the best way to get off it with the least amount of withdrawl symptoms. I blame the Effexor for weight gain and lack of energy. I was put on it for panic attacks and anxiety. I must say though I am rarely in a bad mood and don't get upset easily and haven't had a panic attack in a long time. I would like to be med free and healthier. My new goal as I embark on this weight loss journey.
Lisa
lottalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:27 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 231/219/160

Height: 5'2 "

BeccaBelle, your dr seems to be right on target. It seems to me that a lot of antidepressants really cause carb craving, so maybe cutting them out entirely for a few weeks will help.
jrenzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #43  

Default lisa

I too am down to 75 of effexor a day,have been for months and I take it for anxiety I started la weight loss with high hopes.Over 2 weeks and only lost 2 lbs.I think I weighed before morning bowel movement LOL next time I went in I had gained 2 lbs,It is frustrating people who started same time as me have lost 5 even 10 lbs already.IS there anyone out there to give us some hope that you can have a normal life and normal weight on effexor.I am going to ask my doc for clonazapam and get off this once and for all,I have heard that clonazapam withdrawl isnt as bad but very addictive,at this point nothing can be this bad.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #44  
princess of power

S/C/G: 262.8/253.8/140

I gained about 40 lbs in 3 months when I started taking Effexor, going from 220 to 260, at 5'4". Now that I have gone off of Effexor and am on Celexa & Wellbutrin, I'm having a much easier time at losing weight, though I still have to work at it (of course).
shrinkadink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #45  

Default losing

way to go,on all of your losses.I am still dodging my weekly weigh in
I think the procrastination is due to anxiety.I am scared of another week of a non loss.