3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks up for a Challenge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge-159/)
-   -   How about a Thanksgiving Challenge?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge/91553-how-about-thanksgiving-challenge.html)

harkeyvalley 08-29-2006 12:10 AM

Hi All: Great job on 33 lbs lost. I was excited to see the results and I wasn't disappointed. I made a copy to keep track of all the challengers to help root everyone on. I was ill over the weekend so I couldn't check in. Congrats to all the losers and keep trying all you future losers.
Melly: You are doing an awesome job on the weight loss chart!

Best Wishes to you all.
Norma

mellyann 08-29-2006 03:02 PM

Weigh in tomorrow! Wed 8/30!!

Weigh in tomorrow (Wed 8/30). I hope I haven't lost anyone!

How do these things usually play out (challenges on these boards)? Do most people drop off? Will there be only two or three of us still going in the end? I'm hoping we get some late joiners, too! :)

Well, I'll be here no matter what!

Melly

Liz-z78 08-29-2006 04:19 PM

Hi Melly,
I'm sure to post a gain this week but I'm still here. I've been on vacation for the past week and let it get the better of me. As of Sunday I was up which is my ticker weigh-in. I've done really well yesterday and today and am back at it. Kind of dissappointed with myself for letting myself get off track so soon. But no use dwelling on the past. :) Onwards and upwards.

I'll be posting my weight tomorrow but it will definately be a gain from last week. But beware I am back in full effect and will show a loss next week! :)

Losing4another 08-29-2006 04:23 PM

Yeah after a while some people do start to drop off...Hopefully that is not the case here but it does tend to happen. Your making it fun though with the WI chart ...makes everyone feel more like a member with the WI each Wednesday and getting to see the chart. I think that is what is going to keep more people around. Thanks Again for doing the chart:D

bopis21 08-29-2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Losing4another (Post 1388433)
Yeah after a while some people do start to drop off...Hopefully that is not the case here but it does tend to happen. Your making it fun though with the WI chart ...makes everyone feel more like a member with the WI each Wednesday and getting to see the chart. I think that is what is going to keep more people around. Thanks Again for doing the chart:D

I have to agree. I love the chart and seeing my progress.

I hope everyone sticks around. It's good for morale.

I can't wait to see how well we've all done by the time turkey day comes around!! WE ROCK!!!:carrot:

Kyrie 08-29-2006 05:37 PM

So I'm totally new here. I randomly (or maybe not so randomly) wandered across this site and thought to myself... "Self... not another support forum for the never-ending diet." Then, I started reading! The things I've learned today could fill volumes!! I am so so so so happy to see a Thanksgiving Challenge, as my wedding day is two days after Thanksgiving. I really like the idea of having someone (or perhaps many) to talk to, whine to, complain with, and support through this very exciting and stressful next few months.
At the beginning of 2006, my cousin passed away from weight related illnesses. She was 4 years older than me. I had a very hard time dealing with the fact that so many of "the kids" as Grandma used to call us, had been dealing with weight and heart trouble. I used to be the 4th oldest. I am now the 3rd oldest, and will be second oldest within a year. There used to be 20 grandkids. That's hard to think about.
So we started Adkins. My fiancé, my 15 year old daughter and I started Adkins. We were kind and let the 12 year old have his bread. The daughter did VERY well and lost enough weight that her classmates oo'ed and aw'ed at her. The fiancé lost a LOT of weight and his co-workers commented on it daily. I, however, did not do so well. Apparently, I can put it on quickly, but the taking it back off process is much, much slower for me. Discouraged, I quit after 3 weeks of Induction - I know, I know... 2 weeks of Induction, but since it was working so well for them, I figured why not another week? Since then, I've gained another 5 pounds and can't fit into my brand new hippy jeans! I bought them and have never worn them.
Today, I start anew. This time, though, I will have you to help me, to encourage me, and to understand why I don't feel like going outside in 108 degree weather to take a walk. I came across the Sonoma Diet and it looks and sounds pretty interesting. There seems to be some confusion with it, but all in all, I think that it is a plan and a way of eating that I can stick to and learn to love.
Tomorrow, I will officially weigh in (early in the morning before my first cup of Splenda sweetened coffee) and start this thing off right! Today, I will eat healthy and put my Pilates machine to good use. NO, NOT as a coat rack!

mellyann 08-29-2006 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz-z78 (Post 1388428)
Hi Melly,
I'm sure to post a gain this week but I'm still here. I've been on vacation for the past week and let it get the better of me. As of Sunday I was up which is my ticker weigh-in. I've done really well yesterday and today and am back at it. Kind of dissappointed with myself for letting myself get off track so soon. But no use dwelling on the past. :) Onwards and upwards.

I'll be posting my weight tomorrow but it will definately be a gain from last week. But beware I am back in full effect and will show a loss next week! :)

Hey, that's the spirit! The ladies on this board encouraged me to post last week (were you one of them?!) even though I knew I had gained. This week I'm not sure, I might be at my starting weight! The good news is we still have 12 weeks after this one to kick butt and burn the fat!

mellyann 08-29-2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Losing4another (Post 1388433)

You are so welcome! I love doing the chart! It also helps me keep everyone straight - who is who.

mellyann 08-29-2006 06:54 PM

Welcome, Kyrie!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyrie (Post 1388542)
So I'm totally new here. I randomly (or maybe not so randomly) wandered across this site and thought to myself... "Self... not another support forum for the never-ending diet." Then, I started reading! The things I've learned today could fill volumes!! I am so so so so happy to see a Thanksgiving Challenge, as my wedding day is two days after Thanksgiving. I really like the idea of having someone (or perhaps many) to talk to, whine to, complain with, and support through this very exciting and stressful next few months.
At the beginning of 2006, my cousin passed away from weight related illnesses. She was 4 years older than me. I had a very hard time dealing with the fact that so many of "the kids" as Grandma used to call us, had been dealing with weight and heart trouble. I used to be the 4th oldest. I am now the 3rd oldest, and will be second oldest within a year. There used to be 20 grandkids. That's hard to think about.
So we started Adkins. My fiancé, my 15 year old daughter and I started Adkins. We were kind and let the 12 year old have his bread. The daughter did VERY well and lost enough weight that her classmates oo'ed and aw'ed at her. The fiancé lost a LOT of weight and his co-workers commented on it daily. I, however, did not do so well. Apparently, I can put it on quickly, but the taking it back off process is much, much slower for me. Discouraged, I quit after 3 weeks of Induction - I know, I know... 2 weeks of Induction, but since it was working so well for them, I figured why not another week? Since then, I've gained another 5 pounds and can't fit into my brand new hippy jeans! I bought them and have never worn them.
Today, I start anew. This time, though, I will have you to help me, to encourage me, and to understand why I don't feel like going outside in 108 degree weather to take a walk. I came across the Sonoma Diet and it looks and sounds pretty interesting. There seems to be some confusion with it, but all in all, I think that it is a plan and a way of eating that I can stick to and learn to love.
Tomorrow, I will officially weigh in (early in the morning before my first cup of Splenda sweetened coffee) and start this thing off right! Today, I will eat healthy and put my Pilates machine to good use. NO, NOT as a coat rack!

Kyrie,
So great to have you join us! Your post really resonates with me. Probably because I've tried so many diets, including the Atkins. In fact, I did the Atkins before my wedding, along with my (then) fiance, now husband. We both lost about 15 lbs and proceeded to put it back on throughout the course of our 10 day cruise/honeymoon.

I have done the Zone (for about a day. man, it's confusing!), South Beach, and others. Now I'm having the most success just counting calories, keeping my carbs down and protein high (which really controls my appetite) and running/lifting weights. I started running 5k races (I've run 2 so far but am training for another in 3 weeks). I've managed to lose 25-30 lbs, but since I've been cheating like 50% of the time it has taken several months.

Everyone has to find their own way that works for them. For me it was a process of trial and error and as of now I'm pretty sure that this is the only way I am going to lose weight - counting calories and exercise.

You will get a bunch of support here. I promise. How much do you want to set your goal for the final challenge weigh in (Nov 22)?

Best,
Melly

mellyann 08-29-2006 06:56 PM

In a handful of months, this will NOT be any of us!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/08/29....ap/index.html

mellyann 08-29-2006 06:59 PM

Helpful Tip

In the evening I look forward to a cup of Nestle Carb Select w/marshmallows. 35 calories and it gives me one final thing to consume before I call it quits eating for the day.

Kyrie 08-29-2006 07:07 PM

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I knew that I would love this place. How bad do I want to see my goal? WOW bad!
I live in Arizona and, yeah, it's hot here. I am so out of shape that just climbing the stairs to our second story condo makes me short of breath and my heart beats so hard in my chest! I know that I have to start moving, but I also know that I can't take on too much too soon. I pulled out (and dusted off) my Pilates machine - even used it twice today! My mini goal is to get into that pair of brand new jeans. At that point, I plan to pull the bike out of the garage. I got on the bike about a month ago, or so. I could only stay on it long enough to go around the parking lot. That was depressing! I haven't been back on it. So, that's the Mini Goal Part II... get back on that bike.
Thanks again for the welcome!

mellyann 08-29-2006 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyrie (Post 1388631)
Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I knew that I would love this place. How bad do I want to see my goal? WOW bad!
I live in Arizona and, yeah, it's hot here. I am so out of shape that just climbing the stairs to our second story condo makes me short of breath and my heart beats so hard in my chest! I know that I have to start moving, but I also know that I can't take on too much too soon. I pulled out (and dusted off) my Pilates machine - even used it twice today! My mini goal is to get into that pair of brand new jeans. At that point, I plan to pull the bike out of the garage. I got on the bike about a month ago, or so. I could only stay on it long enough to go around the parking lot. That was depressing! I haven't been back on it. So, that's the Mini Goal Part II... get back on that bike.
Thanks again for the welcome!

I'm sorry, I meant to say "how much do you want to set your weight goal FOR" not how bad do you want to achieve it!!! I know you want it BAD! We all do! So, I'd never ask that! :)

Kyrie 08-29-2006 08:05 PM

AAAHHHHHHH
That makes so much more sense!! Well, let's see..... 244 today, 12 weeks to go.... let's commit to 225. That's 19 lbs in 3 months. If I stick to it, I can do it. Maybe that should be my mantra... "If I stick to it, I can do it."

mellyann 08-29-2006 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyrie (Post 1388691)
AAAHHHHHHH
That makes so much more sense!! Well, let's see..... 244 today, 12 weeks to go.... let's commit to 225. That's 19 lbs in 3 months. If I stick to it, I can do it. Maybe that should be my mantra... "If I stick to it, I can do it."

19 pounds sounds like a good goal! Good mantra, too. It is true. If I wouldn't have cheated 1/2 the time (or a bit more) I would be at my ideal weight by now. I started in Feb. That's 7 months. I'll tell you, 7 mos from now I will NOT be saying the same thing! I'll be saying I finally did it!