Old 01-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #1  
Entrise

Lightbulb 120 lbs. in 6 months? Together we can do it!

I'm 32 5 ft. 4 in., 275 lbs., and tired of the extra weight. I need to lose 120 lbs. and would love to find a buddy with similar goals so we can do this together. I belive that together we can lose it all.
Entrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #2  
Heather/Caterpillar

Hi there
I have a similar goal...I would love to lose it in 6 months but I'm not sure it is possible!!!
I'm 24, 5'6 and currently weigh 252lbs and want to get to 140lbs or around there. I've never really been the right weight throughout my adult life, so I'm not too sure what is right for me. I guess I'll stop when I fit into clothes that don't have an X at the end or are in a plus size shop!!!
I'm near to Manchester in England, maybe we could swap slimming magazines and stuff.
Hope to speak to you soon
Heather
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 301/280/175

Hey girls,

I was hoping for as much as possible in 6 months, but I put the number around 50. I have a year full of weddings and I am sick of being one of the two biggest girls in the office. I will be 30 in August and it would be awesome if I could be the thinnest I was every in my adult life. Starting today I am 301. I would love to be under 200 be the weddings. Feel free to yahoo me (ejb180) and share tips or anything.

Heather, I actually lived in England (when I was 3 - 6). We lived in Cheltenham and really liked it. I have a pretty cool copy of People of "average" people who lost about half their size without surgery. I would be glad to send it to you if you like.

Good luck and take care,

Erin
ejb180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #4  
gym junkie

S/C/G: 252/222/125

I'm totally in! Let's see what we can do.

I'm 228 today and I'd love to see how much I can lose in 6 months. I'd love to lose about 108.
cambri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #5  

Hey girls! I got on the scale and cried at 270. I'm the heaviest I have ever been, and I turn 37 on March 14th. I would be THRILLED to get to 155, but I'd be happy right now with 199. I know the key is exercise, but it makes me so tired. I have a full time job, two kids, 5 and 3, and I need some energy! My husband is really supportive, but I want to be able to drive him crazy again! I am so in! What diet is everyone doing? I have tried them all, and now I just need to stick to one for more than a week or two, without blowing it. I got the old Susan Powter, Lean Strong and healthy video, which I really like, and I need a simple diet to follow. Maybe shakes or something. I'm going on vacation Feb 11th, and I want to feel good. 24 days away. I'm new to the group, obviously... how do you get that cute scale/ticker with your weight loss on it?
Lisa270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:55 AM   #6  
Going to ONEderland

Hi guys. 120 in 6 months? Wow. Aren't you guys ambitious!!! Can it be done? I believe it could almost. I have friends who have lost about that much on Atkins. But that is eating 20 grams of carbs a day or less and exercising just about every day.

I'm all for setting a 6 month goal, but you're talking about 20 pounds a month That comes to about 5 pounds a week. Most experts will tell you that a 2 pound (or so) weight loss per week effort is about as much as you should shoot for. Anything more than that is "unhealthy".

It is better to set goals that you can actually hope to reach, than something so unrealistic. Unreasonable goals can be very discouraging. They can make you want to give up.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #7  
Getting there

Default 100+ pound to lose

I've been heavy forever. I lost about 60 pounds once but it took working out around the clock and fasting for days. Needless to say, when I stopped working out the weight came back. At 300+ (don't know what my official weight was because it exceeded my scale) a friend got me the South Beach book. Without much effort, I've been losing about 10 pounds per month. Except in October and November when I overinduldged a bit. It's been about a year and 3 months and I'm at 200 with about 80 more to go. I needed a plan that's simple and this has been it. I've gotten a little less regimented about it and the weight loss has slowed but I'm back up for it. I indulge in a bad day (donut or pastry) but make up for it with good days (strictly my planned menu). Keep it simple... don't buy it and you won't eat it and try to keep it under 5 good ingredients. Sugar is sugar and I know I have to stay away from it. I'm not willing to test my willpower so i just stay away from temptions for the most part.
marismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:27 PM   #8  
Going to ONEderland

South Beach (I've heard) is very similar to Atkins in some ways. Perhaps a little less restrictive, but both are based on low carb (at least at the beginning part), or perhaps on "low glycemic" which means essentially the same thing, but maybe a bit different. They both affect how rapidly your blood sugar is affected or how much.

Too much sugar in the blood is not a good thing. It tends to get converted to fat. It also tends to cause diabetes when your body is reacting too too much sugar in the blood for too long a time. Your insulin producing glands get "worn out" or exhausted from too much use and next thing you know you are a type 2 diabetic.

Atkins and South Beach and Protein Power and most of the diets that are based on the glycemic index work in similar ways. And they do help you to lose weight rather faster than some other plans.

But 10 pounds a month sounds much more healthy than trying for 20 pounds a month. I just don't think 20 is really anything anyone can really expect to work. My opinion only. I've known some who have done it. I don't recommend it. That rapid and that much weight loss in that short of a time, will literally make your hair fall out. People I know who have lost that fast have had to worry about their hair.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 301/280/175

Default How are people doing

I was just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I have lost about 14 pounds so far this month. I know it is the first month. I have stalled,but I between the woman thing and readjust my calories to be a bit higher. Going as low as I went was probably not the smartest thing (I went down to 1200, but between everything I have seen and read at my weight I should be at 1600). I figured it would be easier as I get closer my goal weight to readjust to the 1200 marks.

I have really started aiming to exercise everyday. I did about 5 minutes on the ellipitical and ran for another 5. Then it was time to do crunches (about 60) and 10 pushups and a few minutes of jumping jacks. Yesterday I did the biggest loser workout. It must have pushed me since I can still feel it in my arms and legs today.

I have tried the low carb routes, but if I was tempted or decided to treat myself I would have to start over. I did not feel it was the best thing for me so I have decided to make the change that is best for me for a lifetime nots jsut for 12 months). Now I do count calories via the fitday site (I try to plan out my day here so I know what I have planned and if there is room to change soemthing up) and get in 30 minutes of exercise a day. By the end of the month I want to be at an hour M,W,&F and then 30 mins on T,TH & Saturday (resting on Sundays).

Good luck gain - I hope everyone is taking care.
ejb180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #10  

Default I'm In, Time to Get Ready for Summer...

I have been wanting to lose the weight for all the wrong reasons and I think that is why I haven't been successful... I'm excited now to have found this forum so that maybe this will work... I'm trying to lose 120 pounds in 6 months, my question for you ladies is how you are going about doing this, I'm SUPER busy with school and work but I manage to make it to the gym 5-6 times a week were I run on the elliptical for an hour and then do weight training and dance classes for another hour, I barely eat which why I think I can't get the weight off and I'm addicted to diet sodas!!! So if you ladies have ANY suggestions at all, please let me know and I look forward to making some serious progress in the upcoming months!!!
annastatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

Annastatia, 120lbs in 6 months would be really really really hard to do. I think that if someone were shooting for that goal that they would have to be working out for hours a day and following a very strict low carb diet. I would not be able to maintain a diet like that but I believe that some people can and have done it before.

Right now I am restricting my calories to a point where I am not struggling with hunger everyday (about 1600cals/day) and I try to workout and be active for over an hour a day, which is pretty much all that my body can take without breaking down after a while.

I just try to think about what I can be consistant with . . . . I can't wait to see how much I lose in 6 months. I will be happy with 50lbs.
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I just passed my fifth month marker, and so far I've lost 60 pounds eating around 1500 calories a day. That's not to say that more isn't possible, but you'll need a lot of exercise and determination . Good luck, and hope to see you in onederland soon!

*edit* I should add a little something, not to be a bummer. 120 pounds is beyond healthy weight loss, and the faster you lose it, the more quickly it will come back (and the more likely). In order to get there, you'll have to burn about 16,200 calories PLUS what you eat in a week. Assuming you're eating a few hundred cals under your BMR each day, you'll most likely have to burn around 15,000 (not counting your BMR) calories per week.

That means, every day, you'll have to jog at 4 mph for four hours.

Maybe a more appropriate goal is in order? Trust me, 60 pounds in 6 months is more than amazing. It feels great.

Last edited by kelly315; 01-14-2009 at 09:39 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 378/364/168

Height: 5 ft 6

I'm in! I am going to set myself the goal of losing 60lbs though. I've lost weight before and unfortunately gained it back due to illness. So I know that 60lbs is realistic for me and anything else will be a wonderful bonus!

I love the "go get it" attitude you guys have though.
120lbs is an achievable loss in 6 months if you have the time to work out every day with a trainer. So if you are lucky enough to have that kind of backing then I say go for it! Unfortunately for me, I have neither the money or the time to be working out 2 or 3 hours a day and have someone push me to do it (which I would need). I'm hoping to work up to 45 minutes a day on my own alongside a couple of 1 hour fitness classes a week.

I've been watching the last season of Biggest Loser US (I live in UK and they are only just showing it now) and even the slowest losing female had lost about 40 pounds in the first 3 months with many of the female contestants losing 60-80lbs in that time. So it's doable, but probably only if you have the rigid self-motivation and/or Biggest Loser kind of backing to do it. For those of you that have that - go get it! And for the rest of us, do as much as you can and we'll still be winners at the end.

Best of Luck everyone!
fifitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

I have a 6month goal too and while like you Id LOVE To lose 120lbs I dont think its healthy or doable for ME.
Im shooting for 60lbs which will be hard enough.
I weigh 297 (4lbs down since starting 2 weeks ago and 14 or so from my heighest weight)
So Im setting my goal at 237 in 6 months.
Good luck everyone!
LookingForMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #15  
Motivated for 2009

S/C/G: 240/200/125

Height: 5'5"

I am in! I am not sure how much I will be able to lose in 6 months (I have 84 lbs to go) but I would love to aim for 60 lbs!!
2ndChance09 is offline   Reply With Quote