Old 03-18-2005, 07:11 PM   #16  

Howyadoooooin', BrOOklyN ChIcK!
I'm in the neighborhood, too - Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill! We may be neighbors!
I just checked out www.nikerunning.com - it's great. (Maybe even better than Cool Runnings?) Thanks for the tip!

Skinnyjeans: Um, I hadn't even thought about using intervals to build my speed. (I'm just now figuring out that my treadmill has a use, other than being a great place to hang my clothes.) Also - thanks for the tip!!! I'll give that a shot to hopefully break the 2-mile barrier this weekend. Keep you all posted...

Have a good weekend, everyone. :-)

krisinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:21 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

I think running on the treadmill is more difficult but that's because I'll put it on a higher speed than I would normally run outdoors. I find it easier to "cheat" running on a track or along the road because I slow down. However the surface of the treadmill makes that easier so it's a good rule of thumb to have the incline at 1% to somewhat mimic the ground.

On a side note, do y'all run with music or without? I always use my Mp3 player but the batteries died the other day so I just ran one mile without music and it seemed SO much longer.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:24 AM   #18  

I think music is a must! With the right music, I almost forget that I'm working out.
But with no music...well, the run can become soooooo much longer!

Does anyone know when the elusive "runner's high" kicks in?

(I know it's SURE not kicking in at 1.5 miles...but I've gotta know there's a carrot at the end of the stick somewhere!;-))

I'm headed right now to try to push my distance up to 2 miles...keep on trotting, all!

Old 03-19-2005, 08:25 AM   #19  

But the WRONG (too slow, or too somber) music isn't that helpful, either.

Say - what kind of music is everyone listening to? What gets you moving?

Old 03-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #20  

From what I have heard the "runners' high" is completely individual...some people never get it, some people can get it after running for only a short time. I really think you've got to have an intense workout to get to that point and push yourself. I don't know if I've ever achieved it but I can zone out with the best of them.

For music it's all trial and error with downloading new stuff on my mp3 player. Britney Spears is super motivating (sorry, got to admit it! I like "The Hook Up"). I actually like Hilary Duff's "Party Up", Gwen Stefani/No Doubt "Crash", Kanye West "Workout Plan" just from the top of my head. With mixes like mine I just adjust the speed higher when it's a really good song and slow it down when it doesn't motivate me as well.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #21  

I'm a phishhead, so most of the time I listen to live sets. The songs can last for upwards of 20 minutes, with escalating jams that work like power passes for me - then there are wonderful piano solos which can slow it down, before picking the pace up again. I just found out about a band called O.A.R. and their "That was a crazy game of poker" has become my must for my snowshoeing outings.
Momadance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:57 AM   #22  

I bought a double-set of dance mix CDs for about $5 the last time I was in London and had a chance to visit the Virgin Megastore sale bin. The music is really upbeat, silly, chirpy, really beat-heavy, and it's mostly running-friendly, speed-wise.

But sometimes I feel like I want some music which is a little more edgy, and - dare I say? - a little bit more angry. At times, as you all know, this time on the treadmill a little less than happy and chirpy. A Brit-Pop remix of Elvis' "Satisfaction" doesn't quite do the trick!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:11 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Music is a must. My mp3 died yesterday at the last mile of the run and my pace slowed by 30 sec for that mile! I usually listen to rap when I'm running, luv 50 cent! I think that running on the treadmill is easier because you don't have to remember not to slow down but man can it get boring! Better than the cold though.

I have heard that even experianced runners cannot predict when runner's high is going to happen because it is influenced by so many factors: your pace; how rested you are; how hydrated you are; etc. Also, like Liz, have heard that some people never get it. I have been running on and off for about 5 years and it only happened once. It was really cool! Almost felt like I was floating. All I can say is if it happens, you'll know it.

SJ
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #24  

have any of you long-time runners had any knee trouble from the impact on your joints?

Old 03-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #25  

Knee troubles- Ha Ha! Yes is putting it mildly. I had knee surgery long before I started running so I am particularly sensitive to impact causing joint pain some combination of the following usually works for me to prevent trouble.
1) Never increase mileage too much from one week to the next, gives your knee time to adjust.
2) Ice and elevate running.
3) Take a day off the roads and try for a softer surface like a track or teadmill
4) Take a day away from the impact by biking or using an elliptical instead
Old 03-22-2005, 01:50 PM   #26  

Oh I forgot ran 5 miles on Sunday and going to run 3 today. Hopefully a little faster! The weather here finally hit the 40's and it is sunny. Great day for a run. I can't wait to get out of work!

SJ
Old 03-23-2005, 03:15 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 238/157/138

Height: 5'4

Thanks for the nike running info Brooklyn Chick. Looks like it will work much better for me than the couch to 5k, not so much adjusting. I think I'm going to start at week 3 since that seems to be about where I am at. Wish me luck and good luck to you. You'll have to keep us posted on how it's going.
flxthct107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:45 PM   #28  

The nike running site was great thanks for the tip! What a great way to track workouts. It even keeps track of mileage for your shoes! Usually I just go with when my steps start feeling jarring...Hmm maybe I should have mentioned shoes above.

Krisinnyc- My knees always start hurting right before I need new shoes. If nothing else works you might try that.

Yesterday was my day off my run. Thank goodness because it snowed and I wouldn't have any motivation to go out in that. Luckily it is back up in the 40's today so it will be comfortable again. Hopefully I can find enough energy to go the scheduled 4 miles. At the moment the sound of it makes me want to take a nap!

SJ
Old 03-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #29  
Bread is my Enemy.

Hi everybody!! I hope everyone is doing well with the nike program. I just started week 3 yesterday and man...It was tough, but I fought through it.

Hey Kris, Let's just say we are neighbors in the form of being in the same borough Ima on the other side, in Canarsie. I don't think i've gotten that elusive runner's high but I'm looking for it with you.

Lizz- The music I run to has to have the same baseline that my feet are on. In other words the beat of the music has to match the beat of my feet when running. So anything techno, like deborah cox techno remixes etc...

flxth- I'm right there with ya, although you may be a week ahead of me. Good Luck and how cool will it be when we move on to 10k and half a marathon...thats why I love this site so much there are programs for all level of runners and in a year if we keep up our training we could be running marathons! Thats just amazing to me. Never thought I could love running, not there yet but almost.

The tracking is amazing, tells you how many miles you have run for the week, for the month, and your progress is increasing everytime.

I am feeling some pain in the back of my leg down close to my ankle, do you guys think its a stretching issue? Not enough maybe? Anybody had this problem?

Happy running you guys...w/o a set training program i'd be up a creek with no paddle.
BrOOklyN ChIcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:14 AM   #30  

I hope everyone is doing well with their running. I slacked off for a little bit but managed 3.5 miles yesterday so I am getting back on track. I really need to buy new running shoes but options are somewhat limited in my little town so I have to wait till we go to Austin or even Abilene. Anyone have recommendations on shoes? I like the Nike Shox but I hate the thought of spending $100 on shoes that will be worn out in 6 months or so.