Challenge for the nerds! Walk to Mordor!

You're on Page 5 of 14
Go to
  • I am excited to join this challenge. I am going to use miles logged on my fitbit. I try and walk on the treadmill 3miles 3x a week and 1.5 2x a week for my cardio. The weekends are up in the air. Last week I just walked up and down my stairs (12 steps) 70 times in 30min. Good cardio workout and got some walking in. I might be doing that more as the weather gets crappy. I am still very overweight and walking is the best right now for my knees. Plus I can't run more than a min or two .

My husband just read The Hobbit to our girls and we are excited about the movie. He edited a few parts for our little one (5yo).

I am starting my walk as Sept 1 2012. I love that my fitbit saves all my miles walked. This challenge will help me up my miles walked per day.

Hobbiton to Mt. Doom: 1779
    Traveled: 46
    Remaining: 1733

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchal...d/bag_end.html
    I love to see where I am in my walk. Thanks. I will use this to keep track.
  • Slow day yesterday, only got in 2.19 miles. But that brings me 17.61 total, I climbed a steep slope in spite of Pippin's yawning Glad to be out of those tall trees, they kind of freaked me out.
  • This is the best challenge ever. I'm so in, if you'll have me.

Must find pedometer and get off this sofa!
  • I am in the middle of dense wood and Pippin is becoming sleepy. Biked 10.25 mi today.

Keep going everyone!

Traveled: 43
    Remaining: 1736

PS - Everlasting - I noticed that your signature says 'pot-baby restart' and I think you may have meant POST-baby restart, unless of course you named your little girl Mary Jane.
  • Whoops... Might need an edit there! Lol... Thanks, Gator!

Got in 7.5 miles today. Only a 1.5 mile walk outside (4 year olds walk slow), but 6 miles with Leslie Sansone in after the kids were in bed. Was going to skip it tonight but I'm glad I did it. Did the 3 mile video and then I wanted to get in my last half mile to make it 5 today. Started the tape over and ended up doing the whole thing over again. 66.46 miles traveled so far. Frodo's taking a break from walking where I did not, to ride down to Buckleberry Ferry with Farmer Maggot.
  • wow, people are moving so fast in this! I'm only up to ~13.4 miles traveled, but I can no longer see Hobbiton! Finally! Now that I have my bodybugg on and working I've been adding miles the last few days. Getting about four a day, which isn't too bad for me!

And yes, I broke this into legs- I'm headed to Rivendell first!
  • I walked 6 miles yesterday
    Traveled: 52
    Pippin realizes they haveturned too far south as they are still in the trees
    Remaining: 1727

I am not sure I can walk as much today. Its Sunday and I may lay low and veg.
  • I biked from my parents house to mine plus some. It clocked at 3.15 mi. I am headed off to the gym now and will edit to add those miles later.
  • 6.5 miles this morning so up to 72.96 miles, climbing up into the country. Only .04 miles to Crickhollow and a good bath, so I might do some more walking today!
  • Total today I did 10 mi. It was a combination of riding my bike, running on the treadmill, and doing sprints on the stationary bike.

Traveled: 53
    Remaining: 1726
  • 93 miles down almost to old man willow to take a rest
  • Hello to all. I am at 47 miles now. Tomorrow I have a long walk scheduled (about 12 miles) and part of it will be outside and part of it on the treadmill. After I finish posting, I think I will go find the 1st DVD and watch it on the treadmill. After reading where I am on my journey, it makes me want to watch the movies again so I can see what I am reading.

This is such a great challenge and makes adding up the miles way more interesting.

Michele
  • Had a slow weekend, logged 3.09 miles (spent most of the weekend fighting a pretty bad head cold). Traveled 20.7 miles - just got up from campsite near the falls, walking down the rolling roads.
  • I know it makes it so fun and unreasonably motivating! I started reading "The Hobbit" out loud to my husband last night.

I'm watching FOTR today. I don't have a treadmill but I found a metronome site and set it to 132bmp, so that's 132 steps a minute marching in place. I might up it later to go a little quicker. I've done 50 minutes so far and I'm at relatively 3.3 miles. Have to walk more to watch more! I can also march in place while cleaning, so I've actually washed the dishes, swept, and mopped the kitchen during that time! The floor looks and feels much nicer after 3 toddlers smashed bananas and other food into it all weekend. Gonna fold laundry during the next run! Getting housework done as well as walking!

Here is the metronome site if anyone is interested. That was just a quick search, so I'm sure there are other ones if you don't like that one. Then you can listen to other things while walking. I like Leslie Sansone but 2 weeks in I'm getting tired of hearing the same thing over and over again.
    http://www.metronomeonline.com/

I don't have it super loud, just loud enough that I can listen for it and hear it if I feel like I'm getting out of step, but having it in the background keeps my pace. If you're counting 2000 steps per mile:

168bpm= 5mph
    150bpm= 4.5mph
    133bpm= 4mph
    116bpm= 3.5mph
    100bpm= 3mph
  • This is absolutely fantastic! I've never been so nerdtastically excited about walking.