Old 02-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #1  
Suz

S/C/G: 175/128/120

Height: 5'6"

Default W.O.W. "Get Your Groove On" Challenge: FINAL CHAT THREAD!

Good morning, fine W.O.W.! I trust you all had a pleasant, healthy, happy weekend.

We are in the FINAL WEEK of our challenge! Can you believe we've been grooooooving for seven weeks now?? I can't! But here we are, and our last day is on Wednesday, just two short days from today. I hope we hear from some of the ladies that kind of dropped away for a while... if you're one of those ladies and you're reading this, it's OKAY to come back! We want to hear from you!

My determination is renewed this week. Now that things are finally settling down and I'm adapting to my new surroundings and reconfiguring my routine, I'm ready and raring to go! Lean Cuisines were on sale this week, so I loaded up - plus, I bought lots of fresh fruits and veggies for making healthy things. Last night I made a TON of homemade soup out of chicken stock, parsnips, carrots, leeks, turnips, and celery, and it was very tasty (and healthy!). We're expected to get some nasty weather this week, although they're not sure yet whether it will be wintry mix type stuff or full-blown snow - and I wanted to prepare ourselves for the possibility of a snow-in. I don't want a lot of junk food sitting around here if we're immobilized!

Michelle, I'm so glad that you had a good birthday!!

Jeni - how are you hanging in there with all that working you're doing? Don't spread yourself too thin! Extra money's great, but not at the expense of your health and sanity!

Robin, how are you doing? Are you taking care of those knees? I hope you're not in pain...

Holyteror - you still with us?

Shari?

Worldsbestmom?

I feel like this group is fizzling! Please don't give up now, we're in the home stretch! It's NEVER too late to find your groove!!

Also - there was rumored talk about an April Fools challenge, and a consensus of agreement that we should have one. Who would like to start it? What should we call it? Group input needed, please...

Okay, chickies, I need to get up and start my day. Have a GREAT start to a healthy, happy, focused, on-plan week!!!

RowdyBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning all.

Rowdy, glad to hear you're settling into your new environment. How's the unpacking going? It's not an easy task. I have no doubt you'll tackle it just fine though. We're also expecting some bad weather. I am soooo ready for the spring.

Michelle, sounds like a nice birthday. I just love when they fall out on the weekend.

Jeni, Rowdy's right, no money is worth your sanity and well being. Hope you have a good week with the crasins and learning the ins and outs.

Hellllooooooo, anyone else?

I had a very good weekend. I had this big fancy, shmancy dinner last night. I got all dressed up and did my nails, hair and make up. I felt pretty darn good. It's funny though, my feet were sloshing around in my shoes. They're too big on me! Hubby told me I look like a completely different person then I did just a few short months ago. I think it was a compliment . I saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in a while, so naturally I got a lot of compliments. It was very nice. The dinner started out with a huge, huge smorgasboard (buffet). The whole day I kept my calories low in ancticipation for the evening. I had half my usual cereal. Had veggies for lunch with out my ususal veggie burger. Skipped my afternoon snack. Drank all my water early in the day so I wouldn't have to pee all night. Anyway, so I get there with the full intention of eating. I look around, there was just tons and tons of scrumptious looking food. I take some eggplant lasagne (one of my favs). I took 2 bites and threw it away. It was really oily and I just didn't feel right eating it. I then had 3 pieces of veggie sushi and absolutely delicious, delicious roasted veggies, which definitely had oil on them. Including asparagus, which is a veggie I had COMPLETELY forgotten about. So I'm excited that I found a new veggie to eat. Each spear has under 4 calories and 1 gm of fiber. Then we went on to the dinner portion and we were served a salad of european greens and turkey breast with DRESSING ON THE SIDE!!!! I was in heaven, I ate the whole thing. Then came about an hours worth of speeches and then we left. Didn't even stay for the dinner portion. As we were exiting they were setting out the dessert buffet. So yup, we stopped there and I had 7 bites of 5 different desserts. And that's that. Not too bad. I love being in control. I love it.

Knees are somewhat better. HAve not picked up much in the way of exercising, (as she makes a sad face), but have managed to do some. Going to take it easy for the beginning of this week and start to slowly add more and more.

Today is my weigh-in day. I'm down 3 1/2 lbs to 193.5.

Okay, Suz. So, ummm yeah, you going to take the bull by the horns and start our W.O.W. April Fools Challenge? Oh leader you. Oh motivator you. Hmmm? If you don't want to do it, I completely understand. I know you feel the pressure to start a new thread every week and check in with all the newbies and stuff. Let us know, if you really don't want to, then I will. Although I KNOW I won't do as good a job as you.

My weed, same old, same old:

W - 80 oz.
E - we shall see
E - under 1300 calories
D - W, E, E amongst other things as well.

Have a great day folks.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #3  
Cowboy Fan 4 Life!

S/C/G: 248/236.6/140

Height: 5'0"

*rant ahead*
I'm here but have given up on my weight loss for this challenge. I can't get or stay motivated, and hubby is NOT helping me at all. Nothing has changed. Not a single thing. He'd rather stay drunk in the garage and stay up late while I have to go to work....I'm still waiting on the christmas gifts I was supposed to receive from him.....still waiting on my birthday gift from last year too. If I want christmas/birthday I have to get it myself. Takes all the fun out of it. Valentine's day? HA! Good thing I have a rehearsal that night cuz there will be no celebration at all. He'll be drunk by the time I get home anyway.

I have to go back to work today. People called in sick AGAIN while I was out on days off. This means the backlog has gone up again. This also means they aren't going to approve any more time off until the backlog is down....and the first thing I'll hear at work is "OH we're so glad you're back, you're dependable and you come to work." Yeah that kind of butt kissing for a .43 cent/hr raise on my last review.

So I guess I'll just have to try harder and focus on a small goal for maybe next month or something. I'm sorry I'm always so negative....when I get going on my weightloss I do real well. I hate TOM too. That jerk's on the way with no candy for valentine's day too

I hope you guys have better day than I am...I'm very happy for all of you on your weightloss and I'm proud you can keep up your happies and your goals
Holyteror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #4  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

good monday morning everyone!!! I can't believe this challenge is already over. I am really not much closer to my goal than I was a month ago, but I am still healthier I have much better stamina and I feel good (okay except this cold I am happier with my body than I have been in a long time.
Wednesday marks 6 months since I started my love for exercise and calorie counting. Since November I haven't really lost anything. I have been very vigalant with my water/exercise but My eating while within my calorie goals has been a little off. I realized that since november I have been skipping breakfast waiting until lunch to eat. I know 5 small meals are better than two, why did I let myself stop that?? and Why didn't I realize it?? Starting today I am back on the 5 times a day wagon. Though today my breakfast is less than healthy ( I was thinking about it last night and not prepared) I had a low fat granola bar, tomorrow I will either do an egg or protein shake (depends on if I workout).

Suz, great job on thinking ahead!! but I sure hope you don't get snowed in!

Michelle, I admit it, I am addicted to hand sanitizer, so sue me. Makie and Tommy wont use it, though Makie does wash her hands alot. Maybe I am offending them because they think I might get their coodies. In all honesty I am afraid of giving this flu/cold to anyone. It has been bad. I am glad you had a good time on your birthday!!

Robin how are you doing??

WOW April Fools challenge or WOW No Foolin' you Challnge?? Starting on Monday? or Thursday? I vote whoever logs on first on Monday morning starts it, whether it is Suz or not.

~~~~~~~~
I think I am starting to feel better, but I left work early last night because I was just sick. I had to call the regular cook in ( was working for her because she had a pool tourney). When I called her at 2 she said, well I had a couple beers but I will come in at 6. NO PROBLEM! I was just happy she was coming in. She got there and she was drunk. She had 4 hours to stop drinking and sober up but she didn't. I was angry, but I couldn't stay I was so sick. I was irresponsible for leaving while she was in that state, I feel bad for that. I hope everything went okay for her and the others last night.

Tommy's cough is still really bad and Makie is starting to get a cough, I hope that means they are getting better. If Tommy isn't better by wednesday I am going to have DH take him to the doctor. I am afraid it is turning into bronchitis. If I can get a 445 appt then I can take him (If DH picks them up and meets me at the parking lot).
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

Hi Jeni, we must have posted at a similar time and you didn't see my post. Thanks for inquiring about me. Just peek up and like at my post.

Jeni I find breakfast very important. Before my lifestyle change I would skip it very often. It really gets your metabolisim moving and keeps you from being starving when lunch time rolls around. I think it has been a big factor in my success so far. I usually eat 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean cereal with 1/2 cup of Fiber One cereal with 1/2 cup of skim milk. That's a lot of 1/2 cups. I like starting the day with protein, fiber and CARBS.

Jeni love, I can think of A LOT worse things to be addicted to then hand sanitizer. I am absolutely nuts, beyond belief when someone is sick in the house. I make them use disposable plastic cups and utensils. I change their linens constantly. Tissues have to go down the toilet, not in the garbage. I sometimes even make them eat by themselves (I know, I'm crazy, but don't forget they are older). It sounds like Tommy might benefit from a trip to the Dr. You really have had a tough winter with sickness. I'm so sorry. I know how rough that can be.

And you have no reason for feeling guilty about work, this drunken bum should be the one to feel guilty. What freakin' nerve. How unbelievably irresponsible of her. Uch. I hate people like that.

Jeni, why not on Thursday? And I would prefer to pick someone. But absolutely not necessarily so, whatever you guys want. I guess I'm just saying that because I usually log on early, like by 6:00 or so and I would feel funny starting it without everyone's full consent. It just wouldn't feel right to me. But whatever the consensous is, is fine with me. No pressure Suz and I mean that 100%, but why fix what ain't broke? But really, really I could understand you NOT wanting to do it. Let us know. I'm very wishy washy aren't I?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #6  
Suz

Thumbs up

OMG, Holyteror... Okay, deeeep breath... let it out... you're up against a lot of struggles, it seems, and coming here if you need to rant is EXACTLY why we're here, so don't feel bad about being negative, okay?? What you described just sounds like a downright awful and unhealthy situation, and I'm worried about you (especially the part about your hubby being drunk all the time). Can you and DH get some help? Maybe counseling? This situation just seems so unfair to you. You have a right to take care of yourself, be healthy, and be SUPPORTED, and you should be able to do just that. As for the missed gifts, etc... I think you should do something extra nice for yourself this Valentine's Day. Make it a Valentine to YOU, a token of affection to remind yourself that you are an intelligent, vivacious, vital person who deserves love from yourself.

We ALL must love ourselves, dear fellow W.O.W's. Even when it's hard to love ourselves, when we stumble, when we look in the mirror and are unhappy with what we see, when life deals us situations that make us feel crappy, we've GOT to remember to love ourselves. Sometimes, we don't get the kind of affection and love that we want from other people... because other people are human and, thus, fallible. When we learn to love ourselves - especially when others fail us - it is then that we start to nurture our inner self, which will go a LONG way in nurturing our bodies towards healthier, happier, leaner living. It is so, so, SO important it is to take care of our inner spirit as well as our bodies.

This might sound like tree-hugging hippie crap, but right here, right now, I'd like to issue a challenge to anyone who wants to accept it: make a special, non-food Valentine's gift to yourself. It doesn't have to be big and expensive - and it can be as simple as making a Valentine card to yourself - but I challenge anyone who wishes to somehow get for yourself a reminder that you ARE good, that you ARE special, and that you love yourself. If you'd like to share here what you do for yourself and why, please share away. I plan to.

Robin, I am SO proud of you. You are a weight-losing machine!! You're almost the same weight I was when I started back in September! That dinner that you went to sounds absolutely scrumptious - and you did a GREAT job staying in control while still getting bites of the things you wanted to taste. Well done!! And yes, I LOVE asparagus, too! I like to just barely blanch them so they stay crisp, and then refrigerate them and eat them like celery sticks for snacks with a little Wishbone Balsamic Breeze spritzed on them. Yum!!

Jeni, I love the "No Foolin'" Challenge name! And I'm glad you're getting your groooooove back! Yes, it's important to keep that metabolism chugging away... a bunch of little meals is better than spreading them out, plus eating more often will help stave off visits from Bingie!

Where's JennyWenny? I'm trying to think of some of the folks we haven't heard from in a while... CALLING ALL W.O.W.'s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the next challenge... I certainly do not mind taking the lead with starting the April Fool challenge, with the caveat that anyone who wants to start the subsequent chat threads can certainly do so if they can't wait for me on Monday mornings. Sometimes I don't roll out of bed until the last minute on Mondays, so if people are motivated and excited don't want to wait for me on Mondays, that's fine! I will make every effort to get online bright and early, though, and get the ball rolling. I don't see myself so much as a leader as a facilitator for the group... I like to keep the dialogues going and so I tend to take the lead on organizing our challenges, etc., but this is our group, and I'd like to see this group run with lots of input and decision-making from as many folks as possible. I love and respect each of you so much, and I want everyone's voice heard!
Old 02-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #7  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi darlins! Just a quick minute for a quick post!

I like the No Foolin You name for the new challenge too! And I don't mind who starts the threads, it does seem Suz, you get that chat thread going first of all of us, but que-sera-sera, whatever will be will be. One of us will step up, I WILL NOT lose you guys! So let's decide this part for sure-do we start over Monday or Thursday? I'll vote for Thursday since really our weigh in days are Fridays anyways so it's not so different.

Individual discussions to follow, gotta get the kids. xoxoxoxo Michelle
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #8  
Suz

Thumbs up

I propose a compromise: we'll start the challenge on Thursday with an "open call" invitation to to any other folks who want to join us, complete with details and start-of-challenge weigh-ins, and we'll start the first chat thread on Monday.

Does this sound good? Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

April 1 is a good goal date - it gives us a nice, six-week period to really focus on.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #9  
Calorie Counter

Holyteror, it sounds tough right now. I am sorry your DH is not paying attention to your needs, or his. Does he expect that weight to fall off by itself? As for you, I know what a toll it takes on you when you don't lose like you want. I haven't truly lost anything since december. But as long as we try, keep it in mind, and dont belittle ourselves for our indulgences but remind ourselves that WE CAN, WE WILL it may take longer than expected, but it will happen if we try.

Robin, I saw your morning post after I posted, but I didn't have time to say that I saw it. That dinner sure sounds like something. So if I get you right you get to now go SHOE SHOPPING!! okay I am trying to make it more exciting, I hate shoe shopping but I bet you will LOVE to try on all new shoes. Congrats on the loss, as Suz said, you are close to where I started 6 months ago I am so proud of you!! I bet after hearing all those compliments, it reaffirmed your eating plan for the night too. As for illnesses in my house, I do linens often, change cups each use (we are still at the sippy stage), lysol and bleach, as I can. I also lysol pillows, toilets, door knobs/handles. I even wipe down my keyboard with a bleach towel. And I do have a call in to the doctor, our regular doctor isn't in today but one of his partners should give me a call back soon. I will ask if he should be seen or if I should give it a few more days.

Hi Michelle, how are you feeling today? did you get some sleep yet?

I like that idea Suz, start the invitations on Thursday then officially start the challenge on monday. That has my vote, and Suz if you don't mind starting the threads, that sounds great to me! DH wants to take me out for dinner for V-day (on Sat) but I am going to take a long hot shower when I get off of work (gift to myself)

I think I might take tonight off just to make sure I am better, but I am going to go to the gym in the morning!!

WEED for today

W 80 oz
E?
E 1400 cals
d laundry
Old 02-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #10  
Cowboy Fan 4 Life!

S/C/G: 248/236.6/140

Height: 5'0"

Well day 1 down....
Backlog went up by 2 days, and the boss called in sick. Hubby got up and moved that stupid welding machine (after I posted I got up to get ready for work and busted the poooooooo out of my knee on the corner of the welding machine he bought this weekend.....left it inside my living room and there went my knee)...........I told him when I got home that we BOTH needed to work on the weight loss (he has to do it for his job where as I'm doing it to be a healthier ME) and he agreed. I told him if he wanted to drink then to limit it. I don't mind if it's ONE drink.

I don't know if it's his job or what. I do know that it's not safe for him. We had a little chat about it....we'll see how well he does. I told him I needed his support with my eating plan and weight loss and he was pretty sincere about it. Like i said, we'll see how long it lasts. weekends kill me, dinnertime kills me, not enough water and too much junk.

But...on a positive note..I have done well so far today except on water. I'm going to do some rubberstamping tonight for a birthday gift for a coworker.

Thanx so much for all the support I really appreciate it!! Sign me up for the next challenge and I will do my best to stick to it
Holyteror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

Good morning ladies,

Holyterror, I'm sorry you hurt your knee on hubby's dopey machine. I'm glad you spoke to him though. Hopefully things will improve.

All right so it looks like we've got another challenge going. Cool.

I am headed to the Dr. today. I am taking yet another cholesterol test. Just want to make sure the numbers are correct. And I will be having my blood pressure taken. It's been a month since I'm on meds and before I refill the prescription we want to see how that's going.

I wanted to let you guys know, I upped my goal weight to 135. Jeni you got me thinking when you asked last week. If I get to the 135 and I'm still losing without resorting to extreme measures that's great, fantastic and marvelous. If not well I just don't want to have come from so far and think of myself as a failure. Imagine I get to 135, can't budge the stupid scale and always say, well yeah, I did real well but I couldn't get those last 10 pounds of. So yeah. I changed it.

Gotta get going now. TTYL

In a rush, so MMM, and my usual WEED.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:17 AM   #12  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi gals!! Coooollllld morning here, no schools and we're calling for a huge snow storm. I'll be sleeping today and the kids are in daycare. Then back into work tonight, then off for the next few days. Good deal.

I'm glad you talked to your husband Holyteror. Whether he follows through or not, YOU CAN DO THIS. And so can I...I feel like we are in the same, non-on-plan plane. So if you promise to get back on track I WILL TOO! I'm worried but I think I'll probably actually report a GAIN. Oh well. All that lost motivation should turn into a strong comeback. But let me ask you about his drinking thing. Does he have a real problem or is it just annoying you right now? I gotta say I'm just furious for you with how inconsiderate he is, gifting and occasions and all. I mean I know that SOME guys are just like that but how can they justify such actions! And saying something about it doesn't do any good, they'll either argue it out, or get you something, but it wouldn't mean anything because you had to coerce him to do it. <sigh> I gotta tell ya, though, HT, I'm kinda glad you're opening up and sharing with us a little bit. Don't hesitate to sound off if you need to vent!

Robs, let us know how those numbers come back. Well I suppose the labs will be a day or too away, but the BP you'll know right away. Try not to go in all stressed out and try to watch your sodium this morning (probably not so much a problem for you). Maybe mention your knees to the doc today, maybe you can get something to help that.

Jeni-are you feeling better? How's daycare going? Are the kids having darling little V-day parties?

Suz, I know I go on and on, but I love the inspiring passages you write. Been to the gym lately? How's hubby's back?

Well the antihistamine I took a bit ago is kicking in, feeling sleepy, have a super day gals, love to you all. I'll hit the WEED when I wake up. Have a groovy day chicks. xoxoxooxo Michelle
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #13  
Movin' and Groovin'

S/C/G: 289/269/180

*peeks head in and waves*

Hey, all you wonderful ladies. Sorry I haven't been around for awhile. Life just got busy. Didn't have much time for anything. I did poke my head in and looked around but that was all I had time for.

So, no school today. Suppose to have a winter storm coming. I know it did rain all night. I guess we are suppose to get snow and ice. I was taking today off work anyway because my DD2 is sick. (although she woke up in good spirits this morning.) It all works out though, my DD1 woke up with diarreha. The school I work at does have school, so that is a bummer but oh well. Hopefully, this will give me time to catch up.

Last week, I had a birthday and anniversary. Didn't really do much for either day. I told my Dh, happy anniversary (it was Sunday) and he replies with, "Is it the 22nd already?" I said no. He went to look at our marriage certificate for the date. Can't live with them or without them.

Last week of the challenge, already. My how times flies. I did fall off plan a couple of times last week. I decided to have one-on-one time with my girls. So, I took one out one night and the other the next. I let them choose where they wanted to eat. My youngest chose TGI Fridays and my oldest chose Taco Bell. But, that isn't important. I got to spend time with my kids, with no interrupptions.

Anyway, my wiegh in for yesterday was 273. My goal for this challenge. Not to shabby, considering my workout was near non-existant. Take what I can get.

Gonna play catch up, now. Have laundry and house work that has been neglected to get done.

See ya all around.
JennyWenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #14  
Calorie Counter

Holyteror ouch. I hope your knee is okay. Great job on keeping busy. That is my biggest problem, the hours between 3-6 (well now it is 4 and 6) but I am not doing anything so I get munchy. I try to stop it by eating something substantial not just snacks. It sometimes works.

Robin, I hope your Ace your tests! I am glad you are getting a third reading of your cholesterol, I would be doing the same thing. I was thinking maybe you could get physical therapy for your knees, would insurance pay for it?? hmm

~~~~~~~~~~

I got Tommy some prescription cough syrup with codine. (Makie is needing it now too, DARN IT!) Poor Tommy last night he coughed till the point of vomiting first time he has ever really vomited (all over his mommy I might add< Ah the joys of motherhood) The doc already called in his prescription with the orders of If he isn't better by wednesday schedule an appt, (I figured that anyway)

I didn't go to the Gym last night, I just didn't want to push my limits, but I am feeling better today So I will go this evening, I would have preferred to go this morning, but I didn't get up early enough. TOO early really to get ready for work, but not early enough for the gym (at least to get in 30 minutes). I guess I could always hop on my bike here, but I am afraid it would wake the kids.

Since tomorrow is the final day of our challenge I will weigh in in the morning and post, but I doubt it has changed. I cant wait until I start taking my food to work. My plan for the 8 hour shifts are slimfast for breakfast, carrots for snack, LCusines for lunch, banana or apple for snack, then I am sure I will have a yogurt when I get home, then dinner, watching my portion sizes and having extra veggies no pasta. This and working out every morning or night, I should be on the right track for Loosing for our Foolin challenge.

W 80 oz
E 80 minutes
E1300 cals
D eat/drink breakfast housework
Old 02-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #15  
Calorie Counter

Hi Jenny glad to see you. Congrats on getting to your challenge goal!!! Time alone with your kids sounds nice. I am hoping to start something up like that, now that I am off nights. (well more so when I am on 12 hour shifts.

Michelle, I am feeling better thanks, though the kids are not. Daycare is going good, it would be better if the kids didn't have colds, I feel guilty taking them with their germs. Tommy loves his "teacher" the first day he fell in love with her, I am so glad because it helps put me at ease. He also will look up, see me, and go back to what he was doing. He loves all the toys. Makie has her days. She is pretty well used to the rules now, but it is the food part she has trouble with. She doesn't always eat, and if she doesn't like it watch out. She has an appetite of a bird but can turn into a hungry lion if you aren't careful. My daughter has a "gift" she can make herself vomit on cue (gross I don't know where she learned it) so if she doesn't like something, and you make her eat it, she WILL vomit. I forgot to tell the gals at the daycare about it, OOPS, it happened yesterday. They told me Makie isn't the only one with the gift, so it was okay. <mommy shakes her head> Makie LOVEs going to school and LOVES learning and LOVES her new friends.

Kay ladies I gotta run, HAPPY HEALTHY DAYS EVERYONE!!