Old 02-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #1  
Suz

S/C/G: 175/128/120

Height: 5'6"

Default W.O.W. "Get Your Groove On" Challenge: Week 6 Chat Thread

Good morning and happy Monday to you all, girls!

Buying a house has proven to be the best workout ever. Cardio and strength training were employed all week by moving boxes and furniture, and yesterday was an exercise in flexibility because we started painting! I still have paint in my hair and spackle in my fingernails. I'm sore... but I can't help but wonder how sore I'd be today if I hadn't started taking better care of myself in September.

OH - and being that it's a balmy 12 degrees outside, we have frozen pipes! And the frozen pipe is the hot water that leads up to the shower, too. Guess who'll be washing her hair in the kitchen sink today!

Ah, the joys of home ownership.

We are in the home stretch of our challenge, girls - just nine days until Valentine's Day! How is everyone doing with their goals? Is everyone keeping to their WEED habit? Honestly, it's become second nature to me... I barely even think about making absolutely sure I get exactly 96 ounces of water a day, I just constantly keep the water with me and I drink it. And I think I have FINALLY learned portion control, so my calories never get way out of line except for a splurge every once in a great while. Exercise has become something I love and look forward to, and I enjoy the challenge. A year ago, I would have never been able to say those things - and today, I reap the benefits of good habits formed, habits I can actually live with for the rest of my life. I know a lot of you probably can say the same!

Guess it's time for me to go get ready for work after my week off... I actually had nightmares last night about piles and piles of stuff waiting for me at the office. I sincerely hope that they were JUST nightmares and not a psychic glimpse into my future!

Okay, girls - hope you all check in with status and life news (I still have the weekend to catch up on).

Have a healthy, on-plan, W.O.W. kind of day, ladies!!!

RowdyBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:05 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning all you W.O.W ladies,

Rowdy it sounds heavenly, frozen pipes and all. I hope you didn't get to backed up at work.

I must say I really relate to what you said about it being second nature and all. I couldn't agree more. This is my new life. When I veer off, that's not the norm for me anymore. That is the exception. It was a long time in coming for me. I love the exercise that I'm doing and the food that I'm eating. I don't miss my old life, not even for a minute. Any sacrifice that I thought I was making can't compare to what I've gained.

And on that note today is weigh-in day and I am down 2 lbs to 197. I was terrified of going back up to 200, or even staying at 199. I will be kicking things up a notch this week in order to avoid a plataeu. I have much to accomplish still. I started the challenge at 210 and am 2 lbs away from my 195 lb valentine's day goal. This is the slowest I've lost since I started my newlifestyle. I suppose it was bound to happen. Oh well. The good thing is, is that I really see and feel a 2 lb weightloss on me at 199 as opposed to when I was 287 or even 240 or so.

Okay, so who's up for another challenge? Maybe a W.O.W. April Fool's Day Challenge?

I need to catch up on the weekend posts. I also need to get in touch with my Dr. early this week and ask a bunch of questions to determine where I'm going with this fibroid thing.

W - 8 10 oz. glasses
E - already did 25 mins WATP (it's friggin freezing here, 8 degrees) Will do it again in the evening and some other stuff as well
E - under 1300 calories
D - above and some work and house stuff.

Have a great day everyone.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Hi ladies. Today starts my new job. I am supposed to be there at 6:30am , the shuttle leaves at 6:30 so I think I am going to get there early and walk the mile to the college (where the first 2 weeks of training will be). I do have to admit most of my weed is second nature to me. Drinking 80-120 oz of water a day is a norm for me. I love my exercise time (especially now that I joined the gym), my daily goals seem to be getting met more and more. but the last week my eating has been a little off. My last week at the restraunt (okay now its not) but I wanted to eat, enjoy my time. The eating portion will be great during the week because I will not have the challenge of staring at the food I love. (it is an addiction, junk food is). I'm not very close to my v-day goal, but I am hoping the next nine days will bring at least 2 pounds off (3 would be better< then I would be to my lowest during the new year challenge.). Robin I think that an April fools day challenge would be AWSOME! and congrats on the 2 pound loss. Do you remember a few months back you said I would be maintaining way before you??? I think the WAY part is Way off!!!

Question about your goals ladies- Did you choose them based on BMI?? my goal of 137 is based on it would be 50 pounds lost since I started. I was figuring my BMI and that would just barely put me at normal weight. I may drop that to 130 to give me some wiggle room.

Okay I am off to start my new job, (well sort of, this week is bonding week).

Happy Healty day everyone

MMM, WEED

W 80 oz
E 30 minute walk/60 minute pilates class
E 1300 cals
D Not to cry when I think about my babies in Daycare. Have fun! Meet new people
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:42 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

Jeni, I wish you lots and lots of luck in this new venture of yours. So,what's this you're off to college!!!! Training should be interesting, huh? So with all that drinking Jeni, do you find yourself peeing a lot? Was that too personal? I pee A LOT, even in the middle of the night .

Jeni, you may not be close to your V-day goal, but you have made such progress in your thinking. Which is just as important, if not more so. I'm glad you're enjoying the gym.

As far as choosing my goal weight, I sort of did a combo BMI and memories of when I was in my late teens, early 20's. I was about 135 then and would have liked to be a bit thinner. I don't know if I can make it to 125. I just don't know what my body will do. I've had three kids, I'm 43 years old and I've been morbidly obese for a LONG, LONG time. I was even thinking of changing my goal to 135 since that's the lowest I can remember as an adult. If when I get to 135 and I'm still losing that's fine. But if I have to go say below 1000 calories to get to 125, I'm just not willing to do that. I'm not. My kids are terrific. They told me I don't need to lose any more weight. That I look so good now. Haha. I told them it's not about looks girls, it's about being healthy. It's not healthy to remain 197 lbs. Unless of course you're a football player or something.

Happy bonding Jeni. They are a lucky bunch of girls (and guys?) You're going to be such an asset to the whole company!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #5  
Suz

Thumbs up

Jeni, lots and lots of luck and good vibes to you today as you start your new venture! I just have this feeling that everything is going to work out great and that this is going to be a good thing for you and your family. Let us know how it goes!

I agree, an April Fool's Day Challenge is a fantastic idea... maybe call it the "W.O.W. No Fooling Challenge" or something of that nature. If anyone gets struck with any creative ideas, please bring them to the group!

Jeni, you bring up a good point about BMI... I think that unless you go to a professional who can calculate your BMI for you in addition to measuring the fat composition of your body, it's not necessarily an accurate way to determine how much you should weigh. Not only that, but we are all so unique; the formula may work for some and not others. For example, since I have always tended to put on muscle, the formula doesn't really work for me because although my mass is high, a good portion of that is muscle.

I know I'm never going to be 120 lbs again. The last time I was 120 lbs, I was sixteen and had no boobs or anything! The last time I felt good, however, was about five years ago, when I weighed 140 lbs - so that is what I'm going to try to achieve as my long-term goal. I wore a size 10, I didn't feel like a cow when I wore a bikini at the beach, and I still had my curves. 140 just happens to be smack in the middle of what the BMI formula says I should be... and even if I don't make it all the way to 140, I'll still be healthy at 150. Might as well shoot for the moon and try for 140, though, right?

Much like what Robin said, for me to get down to 120 lbs again, I would have to resort to unhealthy measures... and to be quite honest, I don't want to live out my days starving myself. The goal for me is to live healthy and happy, not live miserably to be a certain number. I'm thinking that even if I only make it to 150, it'll be even better this year because I'll be physically fit, too - whereas I was not five years ago. The 150 of 2007 will be way, WAY better than the 140 of 2002.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #6  
Suz

Oh, and Robin - WOOOOOT!!! You are a weight-loss, fat-burning, pound-losing goddess. Congratulations on saying bye-bye to two more pounds!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #7  
Cowboy Fan 4 Life!

S/C/G: 248/236.6/140

Height: 5'0"

last time i weighed anywhere close to my long term goal, i still looked fat. I was in HS then and i *always* got teased, whether it be by schoolmates or relatives...yes every year I was always threatened to be the butterball turkey grandma cooked up every year.

I'm in bad habit mode but i'm tryin to keep water in and calories down. I'm officially on vacation now, but hubby hasn't made ANY changes in anything but what he eats. or how often i should say. my eating plan helps me to eat every few hours, which i can handle fine.....he eats once a day and that's pretty much it. his other habits he hasn't stopped. guess i'll get some exercise in today seeing as how he's still asleep and i seriously doubt we leave til tomorrow on our get away to tahoe....

but i sure would like to be close to the long term goal this summer. I say that every year....i wouldn't know what to do if i could wear a bikini and look nice in it.....i suppose i could dress as a dallas cowboy cheerleader for halloween next year if i did lose the weight LOLOLOLOL

weed....well i can try
w: 100 oz
e: abs and resistance bands today...plus whatever running errands gives me
e: small amounts...lots of veggies
d: enjoy my days off
Holyteror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #8  
Calorie Counter

Well I am back. The kids did awsome in daycare! Makie had some troubles adjusting to the rules, but she will. Tommy did great!!! to the point I want to cry!! He cried when daddy dropped him off (we knew that would happen). But when I got there he was laughing and playing with the other kids I know but I feel a little neglected he hasnt so much sat on my lap since we have been home. (its been an hour!) I now know that This was a great decision. The basic logistics of the job: I get to operate a 116 foot long dryer/infuser/concentrator/ (I cant remember the last part.) So I truly am making craisins. (others are packaging/ cleaning/mechanics......) I get the nice Warm job.

Ocean Spray is getting a grant from state government to enroll us in a college training/job retention course. We will be taking classes and stuff until april. I guess the actual Line starts up at the beginning of April. I met LOTS of new people, some I liked right away, others......well.....

I am going to pilates at 6:30 tonight with my sister so I bet I will be sore tomorrow. My morning workout will probably end up being 45 minutes since I have to get ready for work. I am debating whether I will get ready there or here. I think Here would be easier, shower-makeup-hair-dressed took me about35 minutes today so If I workout from 5-545 I should have plenty of time to get to the gym. Otherwise I will start working out nightly.

I May or may not be posting in the morning so I will post my weed for tomorrow:

w 80 oz
e 45 min
e1400 cals
d clean up/laundry/ have fun.

PS Robin, I only pee alot when I drink more than 20 oz per hour.

Keep with it Holyteror!!! You can do it!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:03 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

Good morning. It's another cold one here 10 tiny degrees. Uch, I HATE it. It could be worse though, I guess - it could be snow.

Jeni I am so relieved to hear that day care went well. And for Tommy too. Yay!! Kids are so darn adaptable, they sometimes surprise you. What's not to enjoy? There's kids and toys and lots of fun stuff going on, I'm sure. He still loves his mama though. I'm sure he was already snuggled back in your arms last night. I'm glad work went well. It sounds so interesting. I will never look at another craisin the same way again. I will always associate you with craisins now. I mean it. Isn't that funny?

I'm so nervous I brought 2 long denim skirts into the tailor last week. They were both too big on me. She measured and pinned them up and I told the tailor whatever you've just pinned, make them 6 inches smaller. I hope I didn't make a mistake. It was twenty dollars to alter each skirt. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking my hips can't get much smaller. My stomach and calves can, but I'm not so sure about my hips. They got pretty narrow (for me).

I bought a black suede jacket yesterday. I love it!!! It's something I've always wanted. It was originally $130 and it was marked down to $25.00!!! I love clothes. I love shopping. I can't imagine what it's gonna be like as I get closer to goal.

Glad to hear you're up for a April Fool's Challenge.

Today's Weed:

W - at least 8 glasses - 10 oz
E - WATP, 2x, despite the fact that my knees are really, really killing me.
E - less then 1300 calories
D - post office in the freezing cold, laundry, paper work, paper work, paper work. Phone calls. And paper work.

Have a great day everyone!!!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #10  
Calorie Counter

Robin, take care of your Knees! dont over do it. I have never had anything altered before, not that I have many clothes, but thats a great idea. I hope it works out. As for clothes shopping, I am glad that you love it!! I bet it is a whole lot different now than before, and what a deal on that jacket!! There are so many changes in everyones life here

Those pilates killed me last night. I usually do a 20 minute workout, but this class was an hour long, AND It was taught by a pregnant woman. She was great, and didn't push herself, if she couldn't do it she had someone else demonstrate it for her. The sad news is, when she cant teach it anymore they are canceling the class. There are several people creating a petition/protest.

I didn't want to push my time, so I worked out only for 30 minutes. That has given me time to get myself ready and type a message, eat a little breakfast and head out. I think I will do this as a norm. I like getting in the 60 minutes at the gym, but once DH got home, I really didn't want to leave the house. This way I am up and ready. Plus I am fashioning my internal clock for when I have to be at work at 4 am.

To reiterate my weed for today.
w 80 oz
e 45 min (30 done, 15 when I get home)
e1400 cals
d clean up/laundry/ have fun

Happy Healthy day!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #11  
Suz

Thumbs up

Good morning, everyone!

Jeni, I am so happy to hear that everyone's adapting to all the wonderful changes going on! It makes a potentially scary adjustment that much easier... and really, it sounds like the new patterns are good for everybody, which is awesome! I really need to adjust myself to early mornings, too - if I work out in the mornings, then I get it done without any potential obstacles (too tired at end of day, overtime at work, DH calling me at work telling me to come home because he misses me, etc.).

Robin - so FUN buying new clothes, and at a bargain, too! You did very well with your suede jacket! And don't sell yourself short - keep working at it the way you are, and you will fit into those denim skirts.

Holyteror, have a great time in Tahoe! Keep doing everything you can to make good food choices and get movement into your muscles... you're doing great!

Where the heck is everyone else?!

I am having a "fat day." I feel bloated and yucky and just all-over ick... probably because TOM is here and I have been eating too much salty food. Why does TOM make me want salty things? Must avoid that today. I feel roly-poly.

Managed to get up early this morning and get an hour at the gym, which felt good - but HOLY CRAP is it COLD! Robin, you and I must live geographically close, because I am enduring the same frigid weather you are. I woke up this morning to 11 degrees! Our pipes froze a bit yesterday, but now they seem to be okay (and nothing burst, thank G-d).

Gotta run - work piling up -

MMM, WEED:
W: 96 ounces (probably more)
E: Already done! 45 mins cardio, 15 lower-body strength training
E: 1200 calories
D: Finish painting dining room, AVOID SALT.

Will try to check in later - have a happy, positive, healthy day, girls!
Old 02-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #12  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

UGH whatever, another lost post from ME-yesterday afternoon, I should be right under HolyTeror's post. Oh well, it was kind of a whine about how far off plan I've been for awhile, about how crappy I feel but how I can't stop myself and how I've been away from the gym too long and I feel like I'm spiralling out of control---it was a real downer. I'm partly glad you didn't see it. Today is another day. I will make better choices. Oh who knows. I think I'm in my winter funk. I can barely get out of bed. Funk? Too much overtime? The flu that just went through my house? I just can't get back on track.

It's COLD here too, -4 Monday and -1 today (HEAT WAVE) with wind chills monday was -24 and today was -12...goodness! No schools open these last two day, funnily enough NO SNOW, perfectly dry, just COLD COLD COLD.

Jeni! The new job sounds so exciting, tell me, what exactly is a craisin? I'm guessing it is some little cross between a (duh) raisin, and -cranberry? How motivated are you! All the new working, the daycare and the Y! 60 minutes at a time!? Pilates? Swimming? You are amazing! Yes, I know, I know, its only been a couple of days, but W.O.W. YOU ARE AMAZING. I am worthless on my days that I work too many in a row.

Suz, back to work this week? Is the house coming together? Unfrozen pipes? Oh Suz!! I need your words of motivation! (see first paragraph!) If anyone is going to kick my butt back into gear it will be you! My gym buddy! Really, going to the gym, all that unpacking, everything you've got going on, you still stay tough on plan!

And ROBIN!!! My twin sister (stat-wise) in a former life! I wish I had your mindset, you are so happy, and so set on this being your life now. I know what it is I need to do, I know I will feel good getting back on track, I know it will be okay, I'm just falling and don't feel well enough to get back up! And new clothes, how wonderful for you!

Oh forget this---I'm trying to catch up with each of you but it keeps turning into a Michelle pity party. Maybe I'll feel more positive later. What is wrong with me!!! <here's to hoping this post gets through>
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #13  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

Afternoon everyone! So my WI was today and I am down to 248! That's 4.8 lbs lost this week. And it's also my revised Valentine's Day goal. So I had to revise it yet again since we have one more week.
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #14  
Calorie Counter

Hi gals. another late afternoon/early evening. and my kids are pros at this daycare thing. Its like they have been doing it all their lives! Got in a great walk this afternoon! But dang it I forgot to sign out today I have never had to clock in/clock out In fact I think (maybe hope) half the people ran out without signing out. It was B-O-R-I-N-G!! I usually like this sort of thing, but they are making it horrid!

Michelle, perk up. You have had sick kids. Once everyone is better you WILL get yourself back to the gym. We all have our excuses for not going (or working out in general) but I think we are all strong enough to get back at it!!! A craisin is a dried cranberry (aka sweetend dried cranberry) They have to be one of my favorite snacks!!! As for working out, I am only working 8 hour shifts during my training period so working out is easy(er) once I am on my 12 hours I will only work out on days off.

Shari congrats!! great job!!!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #15  
Suz

Thumbs up

Michelle - I hereby declare that your winter funk is void and DEFUNCT as of this moment! Winter is SO tough, what with everyone getting sick... shorter days... frickin FREEZING temps... and we all fall off the wagon at some point. But you can get back on! Getting back to routine after so much time off is very difficult - but it will feel sooooo good for you to get back into your groove! Even if you can't get back to the gym just yet because of work, etc., you can find little ways to sneak in bits of exercise here and there until you can. And remember that your food is your fuel - give your body GOOD fuel so that until you can get back to getting ripped on the elliptical again, your body will still be efficiently burning calories. YOU CAN DO IT! You haven't failed, and you won't, either!

Jeni - I hope training gets a little more interesting for you! At least you don't have to sit through it for too much longer - then you can get on with your Craisin-making. I am absolutely tickled by the fact that you've just taken a job making such a healthy, nutritious snack!

Shari, congratulations on surpassing your goal - again!

Robin... you there? Are you okay?

*~*~*~*~*

Having a terrific day so far. One of my bosses will be out for most of the week because his wife just had twins (!!!), so that automatically makes things a lot quieter around here!

My gym has this posted on its billboard outside the building:

SNOW AND ICE - FREE.
GYM, SAUNA AND STEAM ROOM - $37.95/MONTH.
YOUR HEALTH - PRICELESS.

I thought that was cute.

My Philosophical Ramble for Today:

MMM, WEED is really working for me... I am well and truly in my groove! Something pretty interesting has come about as a result of this lifestyle change... I'm finding that now that I have learned how to make healthier choices regarding eating and exercise, I am also making healthier choices in other areas of my life, too. Is this happening to any of you, too? I'm finding that I'm less willing to compromise my own happiness now... less willing to let people walk all over me, less willing to let people take me for granted. I used to fall into bed every night feeling a lot like I'd been chewed on by everyone and spat out at the end of the day... but I don't feel that anymore because I don't let anyone do that to me anymore. Just like choosing to not eat things that aren't good for me, I make the conscious choice to examine the people who annoy me and decide whether THEY are unhealthy for me - and then I don't let them get the best of me. I make the conscious choice to not engage with them, to not let them get me upset, to eliminate them from my thinking and from my daily interactions. And I think that that may be the biggest change of them all.

Okay girls - my lunch hour is over, I have to go. I hope everyone's having a great, energized, GROOVY day! Keep your eyes on the prize, ladies... and the prize is so worth the fight, isn't it?

MMM, WEED:
W: Probably more than 96 ounces, since I will be drinking wine tonight
E: Day off - very sore! Back to the gym after moving week HURTS!
E: 1400 calories - allowing myself extra tonight because it's Knitting Night with my girlfriends!
D: Keep it limited to two glasses of wine tonight, remember to affix new registration sticker to my car's license plate (duh, I keep forgetting!!), snuggle DH.