Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 12-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/145/115

Height: 5'2

Default Should I...?

Hi =)

I just have one quick question...

Let's say you have a personal trainer who follows you regarding your excercise and nutrition/diet, knows everything that he's doing and has had a lot of success slimming other people down, yet what he fixed for you doesn't seem to be working. He's not sure what the problem is, but you do. Would and SHOULD you reveal to him that you're a an overeater or bulimic or some disorder of that sort because that's what's hindering you from losing weight?

Is it something he would be able to help you with? Or will it be something you regret 'revealing' because he's just a trainer not a psychologist nor is he fully a nutritionist...?

Wow, that wasn't as quick as I thought it would be

But I would really appreciate your opinions!
Remember2Forget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Thats a really good question.....I don't think revealing your ED to the personal trainer/nutritionist would be bad if thats something you feel comfortable doing, but on the same note you are absolutely right that they are not someone that could help you through the "issues" of an ED because they are certainly not specifically trained to do so.

I know that I've wasted and wasted money on diets and personal trainers and pills etc not dealing with my ED and just trying to mask the real problem.....never did work for me.

Good luck to you.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #3  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

One of the benefits of revealing it is that he is currently making diet and exercise plans for you based on what he thinks you need. If he knows what's going on, he can recommend an eating plan that includes the nutrients that your body isn't getting right now, or an exercise plan tailored to a body that's stressed because of the ED. If he's a good nutritionist and trainer, he shouldn't try to push you to do anything drastic, since he's not trained in councelling people with EDs, but he should know what EDs do to your body, and should be able to help you make the healthiest decisions from that standpoint.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/145/115

Height: 5'2

Thank you both for the advice...but I don't think I can do it. I just can't. I know my trainer enough, but if I can't even tell my family what I've been doing, how can I tell him?

I know what to do. I have the tools and knowledge to overcome binging and whatnot. I just need the inspiration, the motivation and determination.

For now, I'm just going to try and fight this myself. If I can't do it anymore, I will tell him. Knowing him, I'm sure that if he can't offer any help or advice, he will talk to anyone he can who can help me and will give me support even though it's not in his field of knowledge...
Remember2Forget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2Forget View Post
Thank you both for the advice...but I don't think I can do it. I just can't. I know my trainer enough, but if I can't even tell my family what I've been doing, how can I tell him?

I know what to do. I have the tools and knowledge to overcome binging and whatnot. I just need the inspiration, the motivation and determination.

For now, I'm just going to try and fight this myself. If I can't do it anymore, I will tell him. Knowing him, I'm sure that if he can't offer any help or advice, he will talk to anyone he can who can help me and will give me support even though it's not in his field of knowledge...
I don't think you should. I didn't right out say that in my first post. There is no need to. Just like you said, you aren't even at the point where you can talk to your family. Your trainer, MIGHTpossibly have knowledge about eating disorders, but I personally don't feel that he'll be able to offer you the support and guidance tailored for people in our particular situations. Sure he can sculpt your body and balance your diet, but those aren't the issues. Know what I mean?

Good Luck again!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #6  
Relaxation Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2Forget View Post
Hi =)
He's not sure what the problem is, but you do. Would and SHOULD you reveal to him that you're a an overeater or bulimic or some disorder of that sort because that's what's hindering you from losing weight?
Is it something he would be able to help you with? Or will it be something you regret 'revealing' because he's just a trainer not a psychologist nor is he fully a nutritionist...?

Yes you should let him know. You are right though, he can't do anything but refer you out. This is simply outside his scope of practice.
What your reveal will do is open a trust between the two of you. You knew this all along and you knew the reasons why you were not getting the results both of you expected.
I can only hope that your "coming out" can guide you to some help.
Do you have professional support for this? Do you have peer support from others going through this?
Good luck to you.

Robyn
nybor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #7  

It's tricky. But there's not much point in continuing with the program if you can't be honest about it. If you feel uncomfortable about talking to him (understandably- it's not the easiest thing to talk about), it might just be best to quit the program full stop. You're wasting his time, not to mention your own, if you're not going to 'play by the rules'.

However, you might find talking to him counts. Sometimes, friends and family are the hardest people to tell and it helps to tell somebody who is fairly impartial first.
WaterBottleBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote