Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-21-2006, 12:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Default I Am Not A Chick In Charge

Just when I thought--maybe I can get it under control (again) And started believing it. I sabotaged myself yet again. I made a double batch of my favorite cookies and must have eaten 8 of them ( in a matter of 2 hours)
Yea, I know it could have been worse--but what was I thinking?
I've been on so many diets and read so many books. I know HOW to do it, but I cannot make myself do it. I know I have to eat healthy and I know I have to excersize.
Every night when I go to bed I promise tomorrow will be the day. And I really mean it.
Every day begins well--but by evening "poof" all of my good intentions are blown away.
Does anyone who has had a dificult time making themselves exersize have any ideas how I can convince myself to excersize. I mean I know I have to do it. I have an eliptical machine and an excercise bike. I have the means, but just haven't been able to DO it.
You know, I know that you just don't make the cookies or whatever, but what do you do when your mind seems to make you do it. (that sounds bad doesnt it? But hopefully someone else knows what i mean and can share success stories or give me inspiration to defend myself from self destructive eating binges.
Well I guess I better go back to bed now. I had to get up to write this. hope to hear from someone soon.
angieks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Hey are you from KS?? Cool if you are ~ me too!!!

I have a difficult time motivating myself to exercise -- and because I want to be in really good shape -- I do it. I actually can control my eating better than I can get myself to exercise -- BUT I tend to have NO problem controling my eating when I exercise because I don't want to "ruin" or "waste" my exercise, do you know what I mean? So my recommendation to you is think of exercise as a tool against overeating. Think, "if I exercise, then I won't want to overeat." And even better, when you want to overeat, use that time instead to exercise. Then you'll kill two birds with one stone

HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:02 AM   #3  

Smile i'm from Michigan

Wow you are doing so great. You are an inspiration to me yourself. I am at about 250# and am only 5'3" tall. so I have 100# to go.
How did you do it? I can guess exercise helped a lot--but as far as diet--how'd you do it?
I will keep in mind the idea that exercise is a tool. maybe I'll think of it as a hammer smashing my desire to overeat and binge. (silly, huh--but I learned that from Weight Watchers years ago)
I actually like to exercise but for some reason still avoid it at all costs.
I don't know maybe I don't think I deserve the time to myself. I don't know
but I will keep your ideas in mind and will let you know when I get started.
I'll challenge myself to do it tomorrow evening after work and dinner.
talk to you later.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

For me, I think I would exercise less if I had exercise equipment at home. I get easily bored with exercise machinery after a few weeks, and it would probably take more motivation than I have to get on an exercise machine frequently. That's why I decided to do aerobics/fitness classes instead at my local gym.

The classes that I have decided to attend take place at a certain time on certain days, so if I miss it, I know I've missed a good chance to exercise. There are no excuses like "I'll do it in half an hour" or "I'll do it later." I have to get my butt in gear and go or I've missed my chance. There are some mornings where I just feel like staying home, but I know that that is my one chance to exercise that day, so I get dressed and go out the door. And you know what? I'm always happy I went in the end...I try to remember that on the days I'm more reluctant. Also, each class is different, so the boring factor is low. I manage to go 4x/week.

Are you bored with your equipment? Is it not exciting anymore? Maybe try something different that you'll be excited to participate in.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #5  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Hey! I also have a very difficult time motivating myself to exercise! Ugh! I have enough equipment here to stock a small gym.

Things that help me:
*listening to good boogie music, you know the kind that makes you WANT to move!

*allowing myself to read ONLY while exercising....I LOVE to read
*watching a favorite tv show or movie ONLY while exercising
*Treating myself to a nice, hot bubble bath ONLY after exercising

Basically, I find exercise to be boring. Yeah, I feel better afterward but I do need a little extra incentive to get moving.

Another thing that helps me is to set SMALL, obtainable goals and to journal my progress. Even if it is for 10 minutes per day to start with. Take small steps and you WILL get there.

A lot of people seem to really gain motivation by posting to exercise challenge threads. There are lots of them here

Good luck!

You CAN do this!!!!!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/157/25

Height: 5'7''

this is what i do sometimes. i put a sign on the door of the kitchen that says "do i really need to be in here? will this help me at all?" it actually works..i stop and look at it and then i decide if really want it or i need it. if i cant stand not having something i look for fruit or whatevers healthy..heres another point. dont buy stuff to make cookies. i love cooking, and i always find great ideas for food(the other day i made peanut butter pineapple bread...yeah i wanted something that bad, but it tasted great). dont buy all the ingredients in your house...then you cant make it..
Leygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #7  

yea, you are right, I know. don't buy the junk then you can't eat it. Sounds simple but sometimes its tough. Then when I don't have anything yummy I whine to my husband to get me chocolate and can you imangine it? He does.
I know its my own fault. I don't blame him. I'm the one with the eating disorder. And I think I will have my daughter make me a couple of signs for the kitchen such as the ones you mentioned. and maybe one away from the kitchen to tell me good job for not overeating or binging.
Also something for exercise.
That is a neat idea. I bet it will help.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2006, 02:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieks View Post
Wow you are doing so great. You are an inspiration to me yourself. I am at about 250# and am only 5'3" tall. so I have 100# to go.
How did you do it? I can guess exercise helped a lot--but as far as diet--how'd you do it?
I will keep in mind the idea that exercise is a tool. maybe I'll think of it as a hammer smashing my desire to overeat and binge. (silly, huh--but I learned that from Weight Watchers years ago)
I actually like to exercise but for some reason still avoid it at all costs.
I don't know maybe I don't think I deserve the time to myself. I don't know
but I will keep your ideas in mind and will let you know when I get started.
I'll challenge myself to do it tomorrow evening after work and dinner.
talk to you later.
Okay, Michigan is cool too I have a good friend who's step-dad is from Michigan -- he still have his cute little accent.

I really had to get control over my bingeing -- I still struggle with it, but when I began on my journey, I managed to gain enough control over it to begin to lose weight. As far as my diet, I'm basically a calorie counter, although I try not to use my calories on calorie dense foods (meaning small things with lots of calories in them). I eat wheat instead white, lean meat, high fiber foods, and LOTS of fruits and vegetables. I eat peas (love them) and oatmeal every day. I know the steel cut oatmeal is best, but I'm too lazy to cook it, but I do get the lower sugar, higher fiber instant oatmeal. I haven't lost any weight in 4 or 5 months because I haven't been exercising, but I've been eating good enough not to gain a bunch of weight back.

I know as soon as I get myself regularly exercising agian, the weight will finish coming off.

Good luck!!!
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/248/155

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
yea, you are right, I know. don't buy the junk then you can't eat it. Sounds simple but sometimes its tough. Then when I don't have anything yummy I whine to my husband to get me chocolate and can you imangine it? He does.
Same Here. I feel like I spent my whole life like this, going back and forth. Buy the junk, eat a bunch, get mad, throw it away. Commit to not buying junk and then the next day (or that night!) whine to DH to go get me chocolate, and he does! He just wants me to be happy, he wants to give me what I want, he doesn't want me sad.

For some reason I can not seem to make good choices when it comes to sugar and chocolate. My history proves that. A million times I said I would not overeat, and then hours or a day later I would just eat and not stop. In that moment I just didn't care about anything else except eating that chocolate whatever.

The ONLY way I can controll the overeating and the all consuming desire for sweets it to not have any. This has been a 2 year jouney. I started with two friends who were giving up white flour and sugar. I was shocked! How could you live without white flour and sugar. The more I learned and thought, the more it seemed I should try that. (Potatoes Not Prozac was an eye opener for me)

So last year I went to OA and gave up sugar and flour. I could only do it for 3 weeks, but in that short time I realized that this was the only time in my LIFE that I had been able to turn down sugary treats. I had 4 or 5, three week (or so) periods of no white stuff. I couldn't get to 30 days, but I kept trying.

Over 5 months I lost 30 lbs. I had never lasted more than a week on any other "diet" I had tried, and never lost more than 10lbs. So this was huge!

Then last fall I gave up. No sugar was too hard. I wanted to find a way to just limit my sugar. I wanted to grow self controll, to learn how to just have 2 cookies and stop. If I could abstain, I could limit to 2.

Well, a year later I have not learned to limit. I have regained all 30lbs. But I did learn that for me there is no "learn to limit" For some reason that I don't understand, I can not limit, I can not make choices about when to have something.

So now I have decided that my only way out of constant cravings and obesity is to not eat the binge foods at all. Sunday will be 30 days and I will do it. It took me a long time to get here, but now I have hope. Hope that next year will be better than this one.

This was so long and so much about me! Sorry! Your posts just hit me as my own thoughts. You are not alone. There is nothing "wrong" with you. There are tons of people who do the same things you posted about. I don't know what the answer will be for you. But I know that if you keep trying, and working, and learning, you will find a way to make it happen!
CrispyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:25 PM   #10  

Default I Have New Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leygh View Post
this is what i do sometimes. i put a sign on the door of the kitchen that says "do i really need to be in here? will this help me at all?" it actually works..i stop and look at it and then i decide if really want it or i need it. if i cant stand not having something i look for fruit or whatevers healthy..heres another point. dont buy stuff to make cookies. i love cooking, and i always find great ideas for food(the other day i made peanut butter pineapple bread...yeah i wanted something that bad, but it tasted great). dont buy all the ingredients in your house...then you cant make it..
MY DAUGHTER MADE UP 2 SIGNS. ONE POSTED ON THE SNACK CUPBOARD
SAYS
ARE YOU REALLY HUNGRY?
WHY DO YOU WANT TO EAT NOW?
HOW WILL YOU FEEL LATER IF YOU CHOOSE TO OVEREAT OR BINGE NOW?

AND SHE MADE A SECOND ONE FOR MY EXERCISE BIKE:
IT READS IT ONLY TAKES 20 MINUTES A DAY TO ADD YEARS TOYOUR LIFE.
I WAS THE AUTHOR BUT SHE IS THE ONE TO MAKE THE SIGNS LOOK ATTRACTIVE.

SO--TONIGHT I RODE THE BIKE FOR 20 MINS. I FEEL PRETTY GOOD.

HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL. I DON'T MEAN TO BE SO SELFISH.
I'LL GET THIS DOWN SOON I'M STILL FIGUREING OUT HOW EVERYTHING WORKS HERE.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:38 PM   #11  

Default thank you for that.

[QUOTE=CrispyMama;1479066]Same Here. I feel like I spent my whole life like this, going back and forth. Buy the junk, eat a bunch, get mad, throw it away. Commit to not buying junk and then the next day (or that night!) whine to DH to go get me chocolate, and he does! He just wants me to be happy, he wants to give me what I want, he doesn't want me sad.

For some reason I can not seem to make good choices when it comes to sugar and chocolate. My history proves that. A million times I said I would not overeat, and then hours or a day later I would just eat and not stop. In that moment I just didn't care about anything else except eating that chocolate whatever

ME TOO!!!!!!!!
thank you for telling me that. sometimes i really feel like i am the only person who has this problem You know like why not just say "no, I don't need this"
But its not that easy, is it? I am so grateful to you for sharing with me.
I made myself get on the exercise bike tonight and ride 20mins.
I actually feel good.

I think you are right, I will find my own way. and i will kick this. As long as I have "friends" like you and the other 3FC ladies to help me.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #12  

[QUOTE=HarpoChicoGroucho;1478801]Okay, Michigan is cool too I have a good friend who's step-dad is from Michigan -- he still have his cute little accent.

I really had to get control over my bingeing -- I still struggle with it, but when I began on my journey, I managed to gain enough control over it to begin to lose weight. As far as my diet, I'm basically a calorie counter,

I used to be on the Weight Watchers diet. It worked but I got tired of trying to figure out points for homemade foods.
so I think my best chance is to get motivated and exercise. I know about what I should eat and portion sizes. i will have to be better about using that knowledge to help in my weight loss process.

I finally got on the exercise bike tonight and rode 20mins. there is a sign on it my daughter made for me it says it only takes 20 minutes a day to add years to your life.

I also had her put one in the kitchen saying
Are you really hungry now
Why do you want to eat NOW
how will you feel later if you overeat or binge now

I am really going to make this work this time.
hope you have a really nice weekend.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/157/25

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
I know its my own fault. I don't blame him. I'm the one with the eating disorder. And I think I will have my daughter make me a couple of signs for the kitchen such as the ones you mentioned. and maybe one away from the kitchen to tell me good job for not overeating or binging.
Also something for exercise.
That is a neat idea. I bet it will help.
Thanks

yeah i know its tough...but its helps. another thing...give your husband a heads up. tell your husband when you whine to him to get you food..dont let him... tell him you want it but you dont want him to get it for you...that way you give up cause he wont give it to you..idk just another thought.
Leygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:59 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 228

Height: 5 1

I feel the same way its like i know how to do it but i just cant do it. I try and no matter what its like i just get so upset and quit. Part of it for me is that my parents have always been very healthy and my dad always pushes me with "have u worked out today" "that is bad for you are you really going to eat it" etc and i know hes just trying to help but in a way it makes me eat out of spite. its terrible but i just cant seem to do it even though losing weight is what will make me happy.
TaraBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:10 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leygh View Post
yeah i know its tough...but its helps. another thing...give your husband a heads up. tell your husband when you whine to him to get you food..dont let him... tell him you want it but you dont want him to get it for you...that way you give up cause he wont give it to you..idk just another thought.
you are right. I did tell him that no matter what don't get it. I am GOING to want it. but its bad for me and I can't eat just a little bit. So far i think he is listening. I've had a few weak moments when I would have jumped on the chance to binge if I had sweets--but he did not produce any goodies for me.

So, How are you? Whats up in your world?