Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-29-2006, 12:45 AM   #1  

Smile New Here and Not Dieting

I've been hanging around 3FC for a while and think this is the best place to start. I am a binger and emotional eater and am working on eating when i'm hungry and stopping when I've had enough--kind of doing the Geneen Roth, Overcoming Overeating thing. I'm really trying to be gentle on myself and STOP the dieting madness. It's a daily struggle to keep being kind to myself and be reflective about what I'm doing to my body. I eat to the point that I hurt myself and my goal is to stop hurting myself and honor myself by listening to my body.

I'm working out too. So those are the things I need support with. I'm not a calorie counter and I'm not on any particular diet, but I do want to start keeping a food/emotions diary--i think I'll start a FitDay thing, log my workouts and work on feeling and looking better. The thing I love about this site is that everyone is doing what *they* need to do to feel better and you all support each other no matter what. I'm excited to be a part of your community and I'll keep you posted on what I'm doing and link you up once I get my FitDay action together.

Thanks for having me.
jayrobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Welcome Jay!!! It sounds like you are in a healthy frame of mind and off to a fantastic start!!! Your post is so positive!! It's great to read an introduction like yours; we tend to have so much negativity here. You've added a bit of brightness to my day!!

I think all of us are exercisers, so we definitely can support you there. I do a bit of everything now, so please don't hesitate with questions. I've been a little (well a lot) lazy lately, so I need a kick in the butt to get moving again. But the weather here has been cold and rainy and that just sucks the exercise willpower right out of me.

Please post often; don't be shy!! We need your positive attitude on this board! Don't go and be a one hit poster (we get a lot of those for some reason)

Thank you for joining us!!
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:48 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Welcome Jayrobella!

I agree with you that what I like here is that we all get support on whatever plan we are on! Glad to have you with us!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:20 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrobella
kind of doing the Geneen Roth, Overcoming Overeating thing. I'm really trying to be gentle on myself and STOP the dieting madness. It's a daily struggle to keep being kind to myself and be reflective about what I'm doing to my body. I eat to the point that I hurt myself and my goal is to stop hurting myself and honor myself by listening to my body.
welcome jayrobella!!! this is fantastic! exactly what i am trying to achieve here thanks for putting it into words. it is so important to be good to yourself! dieting has such a negative thing for so many people. taking steps to change your life is such a positive thing though. good luck on your journey! please feel free to join in anywhere you feel comfortable! looking forward to getting to know you!
justjodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrobella
... my goal is to stop hurting myself and honor myself by listening to my body.
Jay, I love that! It's so good to have you here. Welcome, and like Harpo said, please post often!!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:14 AM   #6  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

Hi Jay, and welcome! It's always good to have a new voice join the chorus...

Congratulations on getting started, and make yourself right at home. I've spiked the water cooler with mojo (don't tell anyone!) and we're all in this together, no matter what plan we're on...

-Lala
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:47 AM   #7  

Talking

Thanks everybody. I feel all *extra* welcome You guys are an inspiration already. So today I woke up and started my day off thinking about food and remember reading in one of my books 'what would happen if you waited until you were hungry to eat in the morning?' So I did. Victory number 1 today.

I am really learning to listen to my body on when to eat and I notice it really feels good to eat when I'm hungry. Food tastes way better. It's hard, don't get me wrong, but I need to remind myself of the stretches of days where I have really worked at waiting until I was hungry to eat and then eating exactly what I wanted. It's somewhat harder stopping when I'm satisfied. But I tell ya, the main reason it's hard is not because I can't recognize when I've had enough--I've had enough practice at that. But because I don't want to stop--one of my books talks about it being really sad for bingers and emotional eaters to stop eating and it is--it's this crazy feeling of not wanting to let it go and holding on for dear life.

Anyway, I was thinking last night that I would start a thread with one of the journaling exercises from Overcoming and see how it goes over. I'll get my book in a few and do it.

And I have every intention of sticking around! I need you guys right now.

Thanks for listening you my rant.
jayrobella is offline   Reply With Quote