Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #1  
Philippians 4:13

S/C/G: 239/218/139

Height: 5'2.5"

Default Food Addiction......

I'm reading a book I picked up a the library called Food Addiction The Body Knows by Kay Sheppard. I was wondering if anyone has read this book? It goes into detail about food addicts and compulsive eaters. She suggests eliminating all sugar, wheat , flour and caffeine, because they cause an addictive response in the body. It also says that people who only eliminate sugar will still have cravings and be out of control if they are eating wheat and flour.
She mentions OA so I thought i would post this here. Has anyone here completely given up sugar, and wheat and flour? It seems hard to do. The author says that after your body rids itself of all the sugar (3+ Days) that cravings will subside and most people feel great. Fruit is allowed though and so are whole grains, but no wheat even whole wheat. I was really want to hear from anyone who gave up all of these things, how you feel, is it hard after the initial sugar/starch detox? I know I have a problem with sugar, and I do eat whole wheat but I never tried to eliminate it before, couldn't hurt I guess.
rdhdgrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #2  

While their may be validity to what the author is saying, I don't think her advice is all that practical. Unless you have a medical condition, sugar and other high calorie foods are not physically addictive. They do stimulate serotonin production and if you are using food as a mood lifter or emotional soother, the chemicals in certain foods are quite effective for that purpose, and can therefore seem addictive. So you could just eliminate all those foods from your life - and I agree that ideally you would be more healthy. But is it realistic to NEVER eat those foods you enjoy again? I don't want to live my life without enjoying good food. I know I can be thin and healthy and still enjoy moderate amounts of things I like, even the unhealthy stuff. I also don't want to be afraid everytime someone brings in a box of donuts to the office. I like that I can have half a donut, feel satisfied, and still keep within my calorie range. By making these foods a part of what you eat regularly, you don't run the risk of bingeing on "banned" foods.
Hibiscus8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #3  
Mel

I did for several years. I felt much healthier, lost the weight that I wanted to lose, and elimated most binging. I also eliminated any other foods with a high glycemic index: white rice, corn and corn by-products, white potatos, beer, etc.

I've been sugar free for almost 5 years.

I still eat very little wheat, and make sure that it is 100% stone ground whole wheat if I do eat it. It usually triggers a mini-binge. I use ground oatmeal to make flour for baking protein muffins and pancakes. The few times that I do indulge in something with wheat or sugar in it, I make sure that it is in a controlled environment such as a restaurant.

Hibiscus, I really disagree with you based on my experience. However, we all have different eating issues. Just as there is no one right way to diet and exercise, I don't think there is one answer to this question. You need to know yourself. Can you eat moderate amounts of a trigger food? I tried, and the answer is NO. I don't think a doughnut tastes good at all, but if someone puts a box of them in front of me, I will eat them all and feel sick. Therefore, I don't take the first bite.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #4  

I find sugar and wheat to be very difficult to manage even in small amounts. Like Mel, I have given up sugar and wheat for a long time. I unfortunately struggle with the wheat the most, and when I DO eat even whole wheat, it sends me into a tail spin where it is almost impossible to get over the cravings again. I know a LOT of people who give up wheat (Celiacs and those with Crohns as well as avid followers of Atkins) and do just fine. Some can tolerate spelt. I find I can't handle either, so I strive for a wheat and sugar free diet. Instead, I use some oats, and if I want a cracker, I get 100% rye crackers, like RyKrisp. I don't see it as giving up 'good food' because its not good for me. Sugar is mighty tasty, but when I eat it I feel sick, and when I am off of it, fruit tastes divine, and everything has more taste, and I am more sensitive to the natural sweetness of foods.

So, eating a diet of no wheat and no sugar IS possible...its just hard to get over the initial period of not having it.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #5  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Thought I would add my 2 cents here. I agree with Mel and Monet. Is sugar addictive? Of course it is. I do not eat sugar, or wheat products at all. Like Mel, put a box of donuts in front of me, and dont expect me to share them! I am much better off to keep away from all of it.

Do I think you should avoid it? You have to find what is right for you. If you think you have problems with sugar or wheat, try cutting out one at a time. I can tell you that I feel so much better when I am not eating these things. Especially when my mind isnt constantly thinking about when Im going to eat my next chocolate bar, how Im going to hide it from my husband, what Im going to cook, and what can I eat after everyone has gone to bed. Eating sugar, wheat and starch free has certainly made me alot saner!!

Hope this helped
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #6  
Philippians 4:13

S/C/G: 239/218/139

Height: 5'2.5"

Thank you all for the replies.
Today is my first day with no sugar/no wheat, but I feel a bit more sane already. I do think this is for me. I was sick and tired of doing the same thing all the time and getting no where except fatter and more down about it. So I came to the conclusion that I have to do things a lot different than I was. I knew sugar made me crazy (as far as cravings) but really never thought about wheat too much, because I felt since I ate whole wheat bread, pasta, etc. that it was good for me but I can't handle it. I was getting so sleepy after I ate. I was feeling bad. So I got a few minutes to myself last night, did some praying and some thinking and wrote out a plan that I can follow, that fits mine and my families life style. Today has been wonderful. I had good energy today and wasn't grouchy and unattentive (which was really bothering me). I know tomorrow may be different but I'm going to take it one day at a time.

Thanks for the oatmeal suggestions.
rdhdgrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:47 AM   #7  

It's great you all were successful in meeting your goals. I just know for me, the all or nothing mentality is what got me overweight in the first place. The only way out is a more balanced, realistic approach to food and eating - which for me does not include elimination of any foods - instead learning to eat in moderation. I used to eat entire boxes of donuts too and other foods I didn't like, until I sought treatment for binge eating disorder. But as you pointed out, everyone is different. Best of luck to you all.
Hibiscus8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/143/128

Height: 5'9"

For those who gave up sugar.. did you find that artificial sweeteners brought your cravings for sugar back? Because sugar wreaks havoc with my energy levels, so I am going off it, but I'm not sure if I can give up sweetness altogether... so is the sweetener just as bad as sugar? (or *yipes!* worse?)
dietcokeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:51 AM   #9  
Mel

At first I didn't use any artifical sweeteners. Aspartame (nutrasweet) gives me intense migraines, so that's completely off the list!). I used a little agave syrup- available in health food stores and very expensive. It has a very low glycemic index and caused no cravings. I now use splenda sprinkled with cinnamon on my oatmeal, and splenda-based flavored syrups in my coffee with no problem. I've tried stevia, but find that it has a metallic taste to me. My family all gags on splenda- they taste it as a chemical rather than sweet. For me, it doesn't trigger cravings or an insulin spike.

Hibiscus- I must say that I find most of your posts very puzzling. All over this forum, you are telling people to get treatment for their disorders and psychological problems to manage their weight. You have told several people that they will fail unless or until they do. Are you a therapist, a phsychologist or a dietician specializing in treatments of eating disorders? I'm assuming that path worked for you (but if it worked so well, what brought you to 3FC in the first place?), but it does not work for everyone. The longer someone has lived with an eating disorder, the less the chance of a "cure". Based on research that I've done, there is about 5% incidence of "cure" for someone my age even with residential treatment. For me the best option is management, which I have done quite successfully. You seem to really begrudge that and not believe it. Please don't generalize that your experience is the only way that works. I wish you all the best and am thrilled that you are CURED.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #10  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

rdhdgrl~ sounds like you're on your way :hugs:
dietcokeaddict~ I try very hard not to drink any diet pop (diet A & W root beer still calls me tho) when I do drink it, I find it makes me struggle alot more with my inner fat lady. But when I drink anything with splenda, Im ok. I use the splenda flavoured syrups in my coffee, and sweeten my ice tea with it....I havent had any issues with it.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #11  

Splenda tends to make me retain fluid, but I do use it now and then. Like Mel, I use agave some when I want a sweet taste. I found when I first went off sugar, I was rather surprised at how my taste buds adjusted, and just how sweet many foods were when I was able to taste them! Too much sugar just dulls the taste buds for sweetness....so if you can get off all sweet stuff for a few weeks, you will find you are satisfied with a lot less sweetness.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:59 PM   #12  

Height: 5'-2"

rdhdgrl1, I'm so glad you've been able to "get it together" with your day. You sound like a very strong person.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:09 AM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

this sounds very interesting. i too feel very sleepy after i eat and often less energized than before. do you eat things like yogurt? i know that has a lot of carbs and i assume sugar. i just checked and it has 33g of sugars!! so is that out? or do you just cut the more obvious sweets etc? and no whole wheat breads, crackers, pasta etc. what about popcorns is that considered an acceptable whole grain?

sorry all the qu. just trying to figure what it would be like it i gave it a try. i really need to try something new to cut these binges....this past week has been horrible. i clearly can't control myself as is so if this change in eating reduced cravings i would be very interested.

thanks in advance!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:27 PM   #14  

I gave up sugar and all flour for a year. There is a group (which is an offspring of OA called FA or Foodaddicts .org) that guides you through how to get the flour and sugar out of your system. And also helps you with the mental addiction to food. It's tough, but it works.

There are many people involved who have been abstinent from flour and sugar for years and years. I unfortunately, fell off the wagon, and now am back on it again. It's hard to honestly admit that one is a food addict and that there is no cure for it. That you must stay away from flour and sugar or the cravings come back.
SynergyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #15  
300+ Chick

I have the book and now re-reading it again. I might follow her plan that is listed in the book on a later time. It is very interesting..
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote