Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-09-2005, 10:38 PM   #1  

Default Help!

Today was supposed to be Day 1 of the South Beach Diet and all was going well until I had to have a bowl of cereal which turned into 4 bowls and then I ate 8 fudgsicles...I am such a failure I cant even get through one day
ChubbieChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:13 PM   #2  

Samantha,

You are not a failure. You need to look at most of the day as a success. There is probably a reason you felt like you "needed" the bowl of cereal. I am not a South Beacher, so I am not sure what you can have during Phase 1. But I know in the South Beach forum here there are lots of alternative recipes for South Beach friendly sweets and such.

I have really found that I can't let myself get hungry. I eat every 2 hours. If I don't I almost always eat too much when I get the chance. I can't let my body feel the hunger. I had a lot of false starts too. YOu will earn from every mistake and be able to put together what works for you.

Take care,
Melissa
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 262/259.2/160

Height: 5'6

Default Hang in there!!

Samantha,
First and foremost you are not a failure. You made it through the most part of the day and you should be excited about that. You slipped up and gave into those temptations but that doesn't mean that you can't try again tomorrow.
I myself am not on the South Beach diet but had looked into it at one time. I know I could not go on a diet that required me to cut out any particular food because that would make me just want to eat that food even more and twice as much. The biggest thing I have been learning is portions and not letting myself think I deserve a treat everyday...moderation.
However South Beach diet does work for lots of people and if you still wanna give a go at it as mentioned above you should check out the SB section for some great ideas/recipes so when you want to indulge it will be within limits.
I know it is easy to get discouraged and may feel like you have failed but don't give up. You can do it, you just have to believe in yourself even when you have had a bad day and feel like throwin in the towel.
Just remember......Tomorrow is a new day!!!
Kari
kl_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:34 AM   #4  
Swiss Chocolate

Samantha,

I know it's easy to feel like a failure, I know that feeling all too well. But you know what? I don't really know who that quote is from, but I love it: Failure isn't falling down, it's staying down. And it's so true. Because as long as you're fighting, you'll never be a failure. There will always be ups and downs, but everytime we beat one of these downs we get a little stronger.

You're doing great, keep posting.
breevandekamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:10 PM   #5  

Thanks so much for all your support, I really appreciate it.

I've come to the conclusion that my issues go far deeper and the overeating is just my way of "dealing" with them - temporary comfort. I know I need to deal with the underlying issues but the problem is that I dont have any idea where to start. It all comes down to the fact that I really, genuinley hate myself - although there are a variety of reasons why the hatred has gotten so bad I need to take responsibilty and stop blaming others. I blame my mom for putting all of her hatred for herself onto me and I hate myself for allowing her to make me feel less than because of her own inadequacies. I feel like there must be something wrong with me that makes me unworthy of love because my boyfriend of 4 years broke up with me because I gained weight and admitted my problems with overeating - which he described as "sick" and "repulsive" and my best friend has put me on the back burner because Im not "fun since I have so many issues"...I feel alone and desperate. Im a religious person so I would never commit suicide, it just feels like there is no way out and the pain just gets worse and worse. Sorry for rambling...just needed to vent.
ChubbieChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:55 PM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Samantha, I'm so sorry you're having a rough time.
It's great you're acknowledging that there's something behind the eating. I'm not fluffing you off at all (we're TOTALLY here for you, sweetie), but is there anywhere you can get some therapy? I know how hard it is doing it alone. I'm in MAJOR therapy right now, and I'm hoping it's going to help.

One thing you could start with is to make a list of what you believe your failings to be. Then make a list of reasons that you're NOT a failure.
Then take the list of "failure statements", and turn them into a positive statement.
For instance:
"I am a failure because I didn't finish college" can become, "Although I didn't finish college, I have a decent job, and I can always go back to college at some point in my life."
"I am a failure because I have a bad temper" can become, "Although I have an anger problem, I have acknowledged it, and I working on changing."
"I am a failure because my boyfriend left me" can become, "My boyfriend left me because I have admitted to having problems, and he can't deal with them. If he can't be there for me throughout the good and the bad, then he's not worthy of my love and attention. I am a good person, and I deserve more than he has to offer."

You're NOT unworthy of love, hon. We're here anyway we can help, okay?
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote