Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-10-2005, 06:20 PM   #1  

Default Overeaters support groups and information for the faithless

I mean this thread as innocent as possible and I hope I do not offend anyone. I have been struggling with compulsive overeating for many years now. I noticed in my 20's it seemed to spiral out of control, especially in my college years. I was faced with the facts there seemed to be little or no support for me. The past year I lost 50lbs but have already put 20 back on. Sometimes I just can not control my eating.

I tried to go to my family doctor but throughout my whole life he strugged me off. Tells me to diet and exercise..I do but then I still binge.

I tried support and even OA but the "god factor" was abit overwhelming for me. I respect others forms of worship and feel everyone has the right to live as they wish. Personally it has never been for me. I admire support groups like OA but ultimately the higher power element I feel is not part of my issue.

I am bascially insearch of a support group or treatment for overeating. I spent half my life dieting but it seems my binging still seems to run my life.

If anyone has any resources for compulsive eating that they could pass along would be lovely.
squishybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:28 PM   #2  

This was a great thread you posted, and i agree with everything you have said. If you find any information let me know. you *inspired* me
Lipbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Squishy, you are so welcome here.
Although I'm a Christian, I'm squeamish with the "higher power" aspect of OA myself. I can appreciate how a non-believer would be even more uncomfortable with that aspect of the program.

Lipbalmer, welcome to you, too!

I'll see what I can find... I'm just very hot at the moment. It's 96F here right now, and the sweat is pouring down my face and back...
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #4  

I found a few links... I hope these are of some help to you!

http://www.feminist.com/resources/ar...ody/voices.htm
http://www.healthyplace.com/Communit...ders/index.asp
http://www.edreferral.com/
http://www.eatingdisorderinfo.org/menu.html
http://www.reflectingrace.com/gpage2.html
Old 06-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #5  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Yep, I have to say I completely agree!

I have come close to trying OA a few times before..and other step based groups. Particularly a 16 step women's empowerment group. But I have always backed out because I, too..am uncomfortable with that aspect of it.

(hugs)

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:32 PM   #6  
Tami

At my OA group, they specifically say and talk about the fact that your higher power doesn't have to be God. Could you maybe try some other groups in your area and find someone who's higher power is different that norm? Ask around. Maybe check the websites/chat boards and see. You could also call the local office and ask for info and maybe some sponsors that would fit you well. GOod luck!
tasanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:49 AM   #7  

I can totally relate. I believe that my "food issues" are a disease or addiction just like any other; alcohol, drug, etc. And I've often considered OA simply because it seems to be an appropriate way to address my disease. But the idea of relinquishing to some kind of "higher power", whether it be god or anything else, just doesn't sit well with me. I am my own "higher power", I am in control of me, my actions, my choices. Yet I still lurk around this forum because I feel that the concepts of the program are beneficial and worthwhile. So thank you for bringing this up Squishybottom, you read my mind!!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:45 AM   #8  

Beverly, I feel the same way. Although I am religious, I feel that I am largely responsible for my own actions.
I'm grateful for my blessed life, but I feel as though my relationship with God is a partnership. I can't just sit on my duff... I have to act.

I hope that you'll keep this thread going, girls. There's room for everyone here.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:03 PM   #9  
Mel

I'm really glad I popped in here today. I went to two OA meetings years ago. I felt I had finally found people who understood and had the same problems I dealt with, but whole concept of relinquishing control was so wrong for me that I never went back. I needed to learn to control my behavior and actions, not surrender. I was always uncomfortable with the faith-based aspect as well.

Thank you for posting this.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:19 PM   #10  
Staying present

Question

Mel: did you end up going back to OA? I, too, have difficulty with the "surrendering". I'm not even sure what that means...? I'm spiritual but I'm not sure how God plays a role in my issues with regards to my weight.

It's hard for me to accept my food-challenges as a disease. Should I be working on this?

I gotta be honest: I'm a little overwhelmed with trying to label my problem(s). I know that realizing the problems is the first step to addressing them... but I seem to only be able to address one problem at a time and the others flare up!

I have extra weight on my body that I don't want. I overeat or eat when I'm not hungry when I'm exhausted (and still pushing myself) or emotionally triggered. I sometimes eat in a half sleep in the middle of the night... and I have an intense inner critical voice.

I don't know where to begin...
Any suggestions?
wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:57 AM   #11  

Wanderlust, I would definitely treat your food addictions as a disease.

I don't know about you, but I tend to treat EVERY problem in my life with food. If I'm worried or anxious or tired, I eat! In particular when I'm tired.

I think that learning to address each problem individually is the first step. Acknowledge the problem for what it is. ie If you're stressed, sit down and think, "I accept that I am stressed about this situation. What can I do to make things better?"
I hate using the phone, and in the past, would avoid a task for days. I'd get more and more uneasy in my mind, and it didn't occur to me that, if I would actually get the darned job over with, I'd feel so much better! duh, Ellis! How simple is THAT!

Another thing that helps is to have healthy foods on hand. Until you can really get a handle on your eating, there are times when you're simply going to break down. When that happens, if you don't have good food available, you're going to reach for something quick and bad.

Have you ever tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? It's something I think we could all use..
"Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a type of psychotherapy that focuses on changing dysfunctional thoughts, emotions, and behavior. CBT combines two kinds of psychotherapy — cognitive therapy and behavior therapy. Cognitive therapy teaches you how certain thinking patterns are causing your symptoms — by giving you a distorted picture of what's going on in your life, and making you anxious, depressed or angry. Behavior therapy helps you weaken the connections between troublesome situations and your habitual reactions to them. It also teaches you how to calm your mind and body, so you can feel better, think more clearly, and make better decisions."

http://remedyfind.com/rm-4040-Psychotherapy.asp
Old 06-22-2005, 07:46 AM   #12  

Pookie, thank you for posting, sweetie! I love your new photo, you gorgeous gal, you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie88
But I think this aspect of OA can also be a problem for some of us who are not faithless.
Exactly!
On the other hand, something bothered me a few weeks ago when I was listening to an interview on CBC radio. They were talking about AA (the original "program") and there was talk that some people feel the religious aspect of AA should be abandoned. I don't agree with that. I think that if you don't like the program, you either adapt, or you look around for something else. Or you start your own program!
That's like going into a church and saying, "I'm a non-believer, and I feel uncomfortable here. I'd like you to change your views."
Old 06-22-2005, 11:03 AM   #13  

Okay, let's start one up, Pookie! There should definitely be "something for everyone" out there.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:41 PM   #14  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

This atheist seconds the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:02 AM   #15  

Thanks for the affirmation on CBT, Jman! It's wonderful, isn't it!?