Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-04-2005, 09:02 AM   #31  

Height: 5'-2"

Mandi, Trixie and Annie, thanks for adding to the list!

Trixie, I enjoyed that book, too.

Mandi and Annie, I am so with you. We have to acknowledge that it's not just a desire for certain foods that is causing the cravings... that our brains are actually requesting something specific, and we're not listening.
While my meds for depression work fairly well, they're not perfect, and I have terrible carb cravings. Instead of eating the good ones, though, I'll reach for the easily attainable ones. The bad ones, like chips.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:21 AM   #32  

The 7 Secrets of Naturally Slim People is an excellent book on addressing the issues of overeating and how to eat in a normal way.

I've gleaned a lot of great information from this book. The main premise of the book is to only eat when you are hungry and stop when you are satisfied. This is accomplished through frequent meals, 6 to 8 times a day.
SOON2BE154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:03 PM   #33  

Thumbs up New magazine

I recently picked up a new magazine at Walmart the other day and found it to be very useful. It is called "Looking Good" and has a lot of tips and inspiration. They even feature a real person who has a lost weight on their cover and discuss how they did it in an article. It was one of the first magazines that I have found related strictrly to weight loss issues and is a good resource for anyone trying to lose weight no matter what stage they are in.
I actually enjoyed the magazine so much and found it so useful that I am subscribing for the year!
jld528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:00 PM   #34  
a new me, I soon will be

Earlier this year, I read The Fat Girl's Guide to Life by Wendy Shanker. In the book she discusses how she grew up and had the constant battle all of her life. I really identified with this book because it was sprinkled with humor whether cynical or lighthearted. That's what I need to help me out. Near the end of the book there was a statement that I loved so much it now sits on my fridge:

"Part of feeling good about my body is accepting its limitations and taking responsibility for my choices. One day I may find a way to get a little lighter, but I will never be skinny, and that's okay. The idea is to be who you are, not who you're not."

I absolutely love this statement! The book was truly inspiring for me.
becgris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #35  

Hi everyone - I have something that i would like to recommend. I don't really post too much, I only have one post, but someone recommended an eBook to me and I was actually blown away when I purchased it.

It is called "How to End Binge Eating and Start Taking Control of Your Life". Y'all, this eBook was just what I needed to let me know that i am not alone. To help me believe in myself again and to know that there is a way out of this bad dream that i've been in for so long. For the first time in a while, I feel hope. I feel like I truly want to get better. i am motivated to take the actions in her plan to put me on the right track. It just seems that my prayers have bene answered. I read the eBook in full in just 2 days. it was that good and kept me interested. another thing that i love is that this girl (Kristin) semes real. her voice is on the website and she just sounds so friendly, like i would want to take her advice and be her friend (maybe thats too much and she would think that i'm a weirdo)...

Bottom line is that if you have BED or if you just eat for whatever reason, but know that you have a problem - at least go to this website and check it out. i could relate to her and this is her true story... not just some dr. writing his/her thoughts on the subject. she knows what it is like to eat like i do...aghhhh someone that I can finally relate to. the site is endbingeeating.com

whoever decides to get this, please pm me or start a thread bc i would love to talk to people about it. maybe start some kind of support group and we can do some of the things in the plan together...

thanks for listening to me ramble. i just feel better than i have in a longn time. thanks so much to sarahberry for recommending this to me. THANK YOU.
pinkgracelilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 189/177/150

OMG! I read in your other post that you posted here, but I didn't know that you mentiond me! Pink, you are well on your way!!!!!

I also admit that Kristin's book is what got me on the right track more than anything else out there. A couple months ago if you told me that I would be writing in a journal every day, walking every day, own a tradmil, and be excited about life again, I would have thought you were nuts!

And while I am posting here, another book that I am reading that is really helpful that kristin suggested was "Conquer Fear". I'm only 1/2 way through it and it's really helpful. I am thinking about getting the CDs so I can listen to them every day.
sarahberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #37  

I just wanted to add that I have found the Overcoming Overeating and When women stop hating their bodies books to be really helpful in identifying triggers and what purpose food and eating services. The books have also helped me accept that I actually am a compulsive eater and to start to address that.

Just as a little side thing.. a book called Everyday Zen has also been really beneficial to take note of the mental stuff that triggers my eating
Marianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #38  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

S/C/G: 159/139.4/135

Height: 5'5"

Wow, there are a lot of cool book resources out there! I will definitly go and check those out soon.

I do have one I discovered recently that I really enjoyed.

Mindful Eating 101 by Susan Albers. This book is geared mostly towards university students, but she does have a more extensive version out there. It's a very short read and she takes a look at what causes mindless eating (which is anything from over eating to under eating). It's just very insightful, and has lots of common sense advice to start being conscious of the food we eat and when/why we are eating it.

her website is www.eatingmindfully.com
Cats tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #39  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I really felt this book hit home:

The Taming of the Chew: A Holistic Guide to Stopping Compulsive Eating

It's quite short but if you are ready to end overeating it gets you to think about why you are doing this to yourself and is gives practical ways to end it.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #40  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

the book "THE SECRET" by Rhonda Byrnes also was a great one. I think a lot of people know about that one now but thought I would put it up there too.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I've plugged it in a few threads.... I found "Fit from Within", by Victoria Moran, to be very helpful. She's a recovered binge eater. The book is really a series of 101 short essays on doable lifestyle and mindset changes, to help you re-learn normal eating, and to put food in it's proper place in your list of priorities.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #42  

Lightbulb

I'm listening to an audio book right now (while I play 6000 games of solitaire... I'm such a dweeb) called ummm... Eat That Frog! 21 Greats Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time.
It's pretty good. My biggest failing is that I never "just do it". I just sit around and come up with great ideas.
So I'm making a list of goals, and naturally, weight loss is right up there for me.
I'm hoping this is a light-bulb moment for me. No, wait... that's not very positive.

This is a light-bulb moment for me!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 240/235/148

Default beck diet solution

I want to recommend The Beck Diet Solution as a good one for working on the mental side of food and weight loss. It doesn't go into the past or deep stuff, but it does help you learn new ways of thinking about food, and yourself and you desires. It deals with why that strong desire to eat less seems to evaporate a few hours later, and why food can be so hard to resist. It has helped me a lot and I'm feeling like I may really reach my goals this time.

Fair sailing all, lewarner
lewarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #44  
lost it, gained it back..

S/C/G: 225/221/170

Height: 6'

Default you should read...

The book has already been mentioned on this post, but it changed my life so much, I figured it was worth mentioning one more time. Life is Hard, Food is Easy by Linda Spangle really spoke to me. Understanding the emotional reasons for eating is the only way to truly keep the weight off. Her recommendations for thinking it through really work. My copy has notes in all of the margins and is dog-earred beyond belief, and I pick it up for encouragement.

One book that I have just started reading is French Women Don't Get Fat. I haven't gotten very far into it---I picked it up off of my sister's nightstand. Anyone else read it? It's a little something like the relationship with food that I dream I may one day have...
jpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #45  

Jpatt, welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the recommendations. I've been meaning to read "French Women Don't Get Fat".
Also, thanks for referring me back to this thread, because I see I have completely forgotten about my "light-bulb moment".

I hope you'll keep posting... we love new people!