Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 07:48 PM   #1  
The Basket Case

Unhappy Daily check-in week of June 17. Where is everybody?

Hi Ya'll,

I thought it would be easier to keep a thread going for a whole week rather than 1 day. I sure do miss hearing from everyone. This is my favorite place to post.

I'm am so tired lately I can hardly move. I don't know why I'm so tired. My eating has been off too. I've been eating when I want instead of when I need food. That stops right now. I keep telling myself that it's OK to be hungry for a little while if that's what it takes to stay OP and eat w/ my family too. I can't wait until my TOM, that's when the PMS ends.

I read an article in Discovery magazine about Prozac and other drugs like it. It was an excellent article and it convinced me that's it's time to stop taking it for a while. I've been on it for a year and it has been a wonderful help emotionally, however I'm beginning to get some of the less pleasent side effects attributed to it.
I will, of course, quit w/ the guidance of my doctor. It's not someting you stop cold turkey.

Well, it's a hot day here and the pool is sparkling in the sun, calling to me. I hope that all of you post here soon. I miss ya'll. I need to here from you sometimes. I understand that a lot of you might be on vacation but check in when you can

Yvette
Old 06-16-2001, 09:16 PM   #2  

Hey Loves-to-Be,

I was wondering where everybody has been, too. I guess everybody is busy. I was wondering what side effects you are talking about in regards to Prozac. My son takes a low dosage every day.

My eating has been horrible It seems like the more I think about it the worse I get. I watched Oprah the other day and Dr. Phil was on about weight loss. One thing that I've been trying to figure out is what my payoff is for being overweight I haven't come up with anything specific yet but alot of little things. I definitely use my weight as an excuse for whatever doesn't go right.

So I'll keep trying to figure it out and concentrate on taking it one day at a time.
Old 06-18-2001, 02:08 AM   #3  
The Basket Case

Angry

Hi 1More,

The side effects I'm experienceing include sleep disturbances, diahrea (sp) and sexual dysfunction. The only one that really bothers me is the Sexual dysfunction. I really miss that part of my marital relationship ! I'm on a low dose too, 20mg. daily. I'm going to request 10mg daily than reduce it to every other day. After that I hope to stop taking it all together. It has been a wonderful, almost miracle, treatment for me. After my mom died and my career took a temporary turn for the worse I needed some help. Those things are past me now and I think I'm ready to try it on my own. Try to get a hold of the article from Discovery Magazine. It is great. It doesn't say anything bad about Prozac, it ensures me I made the right decision to try it.

My eating was awful today . I'm not going to worry about it. It was a wonderful day. We went to a special Father's day Mass, had a very nice family dinner w/all the out-laws and had some great family time w/ my DH and daughters. Tomorrow will come soon enough and I will do my best to stay OP and exercise. I hope you had a nice day as well. I'll talk to you tomorrow, same Bat place, same Bat time.

OXOXOXO
Yvette
Old 06-18-2001, 10:13 PM   #4  

I don't think I have to worry about my son having the sexual side effects of Prozac. He's only 12 years old and he only takes 5 mg. He said he might even try without it for a while.

I went to the therapist today and we discussed my weight issues instead of my anxiety. She asked if I had ever read anything about food addiction. I've wondered if that could be my problem before but never did any research. I bought a book tonight to read about food addiction. Maybe that will explain more to me.

Hope you have a good week!
Old 06-19-2001, 11:07 AM   #5  
The Basket Case

Angry

Hi 1More,

What's the name of that book? How does one start recovering from a food addiction? It's not as if we can stop eating; that's called anorexia. I understand food alergies, I can't have dairy or peanuts. My desire for dairy is sometimes overwhelming, like this weekend. I'm paying the price now w/ stomach upset and headaches, among other things. Keep me informed, I'm interested in what you find out.

I've got a DR. appt. on Friday. I'm going to have her reduce my Prozac by half and see how that works. I'm determined to be off it by the time school starts in mid August.

I'm feeling pretty low today. My eating has been aweful and I haven't been exercising at all. I haven't been accomplishing much of anything. I over slept this morning and my daughter missed her class this morning. She doesn't seem to care, but I do. I know how much she hates being home w/out her buddies around. I read something in the Buddy forum about being kinder to ourselves and use positive self-talk to be encouraging instead of disparaging ourselves all the time. That seems like a good idea, how do we do it?

Sorry about all the sad, less than upbeat stuff. I'm going to make a concerted effort today to get out of this mood. I've got a mosaic project going that is ready for the next step. I'll work on that and get some gardening done; that usually helps bring my mood up.

See ya later
Yvette
Old 06-19-2001, 11:59 AM   #6  

Hi everyone!
Well, as far as the prozac queation goes, I only take the low dose for my PMS, it is called Sarafem. I had it prescribed to me so I couldn't have anything negative under my medical history if we changed insurance carriers. I used to be on antidepressants for about 8 years after my daughter was born and had postpartum depression. after my lifestyle changed I went off of them and I stress this point, DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY! I had some difficulty sleeping and had periods of fatigue. They are drugs ,and when you go off any drug your body goes through withdrawl. Please keep in contact with your Dr. regarding this.

I think it is healthy to re-evaluate your need for chemical stabilizers when you do go through changes, it is just life and some people are just programmed differently to dealt with it differently.

For those wanting to explore literature on food addictions please refer to books by Genneen Roth, Laura Fraser's book" Losing It", "When women stop hating their bodies", and Overcoming overeating. I have read most if not all the books on this subject because I needed help and have been watning to do a Master's Thesis on eating disorders with an emphasis on Compulsive overeating. Of the books out there these seem to be the most objective ones that are psychologically researched. Hope this helps! * Note: anything that even hints at a meathod for wieght loss as the ultimate goal should be looked at skeptically.

I found it heartbreaking that I was able to relate to one's post about only purging occasionally, but being thrilled about fitting into summer clothes. For me now, I am trying to accapt andlike my body and wear clothes that feel and look good. Last time I weighed myself because I was feeling insecure about my appearance I ended up getting pissed off and going on a purge/speed/gorge cycle that was out of control for a while. I am beter now but I have done 20 years of damage to my body that all it took was looking at a fashion magazine at the gym while working out to take away my confidence and make me feel less than.( and I ran to the scale and then oblivion) This week will be better.

Summer can really mess up our routines so I hope people can try a good plan of action so the ED doesn't get out of control. I have been able to take time formyself my getting up an hour earlier than ususal so I have undisturbed "me" time . So far it has helped . Have a great week everyone!
Old 06-21-2001, 09:49 PM   #7  
The Basket Case

Angry

Thanks Meg for all that great info. You're not kidding about withdrawal. I have a Dr. appt. tomorrow morning and will tell her to take me down softly. What are you getting your masters in? A thesis on compulsive overeating sounds intresting and long overdue.

I seem to be on a frieght train headed nowhere w/ my eating. The times I've exercised lately I've had to force myself, even though I have enjoyed it immensly once I start.

See ya'll, hope to hear from you soon

Yvette
Old 06-21-2001, 10:36 PM   #8  

Default The name of the book is...

The name of the book that I got to read is Food Addiction the Body Knows by Kay Sheppard. I'm going to start reading it Saturday while I wait for my son at an archery tournament. It also has a test to take to see if you have food addiction.
Closed Thread