Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-07-2004, 12:20 PM   #1  

Default Getting desperate

I went to my doctor to beg for some ideas of treating this binge eating problem. I really feel I have hit bottom, I hate to look at myself or even think of myself. Her solution? Quit eating like that. When I tried to explain, she suggested Slimfast. Are you kidding??? I was in tears by the time I left there and I don't know where else to look. It is so frustrating. I work full time and also go to grad school and I need to get this under control. I was doing very well until an old friend (with the same problem) came to town and we fell back into old habits, next thing you know I was eating chocolate frosting on crackers. It is humiliating and I am spiraling!
iwannabequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 12:34 PM   #2  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Queen - Unfortunately, there are many doctors out there who totally pooh-pooh the idea of eating disorders. A good answer to her: Would she tell an alcoholic to "just stop drinking so much?" I think not! (In her defense, though, training in eating disorders at medical school is practically non-existent.)

Three suggestions that might work for you:

1. Find a nutritionist who specializes in eating disorders. You can go to the American Dietetic Association's website at www.eatright.org for a good search engine.

2. Find a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. I found mine through the old-fashioned Yellow Pages method.

3. Go to www.oa.org and see if you can find an OA meeting in your area. Go to a few meetings and listen to the stories. You might identify, and it could certainly help.

Please come back and let us know what you decide!
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 12:58 PM   #3  
moccamaiden

Wink It Is A Work In Progress

Don't give up on yourself because your physician choose to ignore your request for help. I would have to agree with what the other person said about OA. It took me a long time before I got to the point where I realized that I am a compulsive overeater, so know I am working on recovering (slowly). I found OA supportive and just what I needed to get me starting on the road/path of a person who does not binge so much.

You are a work in progress and I can tell that because askng for help is the hardest thing.

Kanesha
moccamaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 01:14 PM   #4  
Searching

Welcome I wanttobequeen and Kanesha please feel free to join our weekly thread the more the merrier. Jenelle your awesome, all the right words girl!

Chris
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 02:35 AM   #5  

Iwannabequeen, I totally know how you feel. Let me tell you that I had binge eating disorder for a period of time. This was my typical day: breakfast: steamed buns. lunch: meat, sauce and 3-4 cups rice. snack: 20-30 cookies. dinner: burger or steak with LOTS of rice/potatoes. midnight snack: 2 cinnamon buns, and 1/2 box of POT of GOLD chocolates, or 1/2 tin of butter cookies or 3-4 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. CAN you imagine the pain I was in when I went to bed? My heart beat sooo fast, and my stomach...oh if I could only describe the pain I felt in my stomach. Then, one day, I found a website that's very much like this one. I found a weight loss buddy. She told me that I had binge eating disorder. I always knew it, but it was until she told me that I realized I had to change before I got heavier. After a while, I felt more in control, not having to worry every morning about what I'd do to my body during the course of the day. It's an incredible feeling of power. I hope this helped.

~~MissyK~~
MissyK is offline   Reply With Quote