Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 05:00 AM   #1  

Default feeling sick to my stomach all the time

Hi, I admit now (only when asked) that I have been fighting an ED for many years. I started when I was 15 and now am 34 I tried the "I am done with doing that" but in reality I am not. I do not throw up regularly now but I feel sick to my stomach daily, well all the time. It has been causing problems in my marriage and I know they are my fault. I only tell my husband bits and pieces because he doesn't understand. I was about 45 lbs. lighter when we got married almost 2 years ago and now I seem to be gaining more and more no matter what I do. I haven't changed eating or exercise habits at all and it frustrates me that this is continuing. I do not want to throw up but it seems to be the only thing I can think of weather I eat or not. The thought is almost starting to control me and I see it happening and I can't seem to stop. I went to my doctor and asked him for help, well his answer to me was "maybe that is just how I am supposed to be" can you belive I had to pay him for a visit and went for help and that is what he told me. I feel like I have no one to talk to that will understand and not judge me. I cry when I am home and feel that if I go to another doctor are they going to say the same thing? I can feel myself slipping into old habbits and it scares me. I threw up so much I ruined my teeth and caused damage to my heart. I know deep down that going back to my old ways could very well kill me, but I can't stop dwelling on them. Is there anyone else who ever feels this way? and if so how do you deal with it and how do you stop?
Old 08-23-2003, 10:24 AM   #2  

My problem is binging, no purging, so I'm afraid I can't offer you advice about your problem. But this much is obvious: You need another doctor. (I don't think I'd go to that guy for anything. What kind of answer was that?) Is there a hospital in your area that has an eating disorders program? How about calling them and asking for a screening? If your hospital doesn't have a specific program, it might have someone on staff who specializes in treatment. At any rate, it's sure to have a free referral service. I do know the sensation of fear, of losing control to something that's more powerful than your own will. That's what brought me, distraught, to my own doctor. She immediately said she didn't know how to treat or diagnose me, but she referred me to someone who could. I hope you try again to get help. You owe yourself that. And if you find the right doctor, he or she might be able to help your husband understand how serious your problem is. I've experienced tremendous relief over the last three months since I asked for help.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:40 PM   #3  

I don't know if we're suppose to "promote" anything here, so I don't know if this is ok. But I do hope it's allowed. I went to an OA (overeaters anonymous) meeting and it sounds like this is right up your alley. And it's free! There are lots of people there who would understand and support you.

Good luck.
RoseAnn
Old 11-11-2003, 08:56 AM   #4  

Why don't you try a therapist rather than a medical doctor? Eating disorders are mental diseases that manifest with physical attributes, not the other way around, so you need to take care of your mind first, then your body. When you get another doctor, you might want to be tested for acid reflux disease. I have an ed and I felt the same way you do, sick all of the time, before I got treated for it. If you're throwing up all the time, or used to, you're wearing away the lining of your esophagus with the stomach acid and you may have weakened the valve that makes it so your food stays down once it's in and then the stomach acid makes its way up your throat and makes you feel sick. That's what happened to me, and now I'm on prevacid and I feel much better. I hope everything works out for you.

K.
Closed Thread