Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #1  

Default Diet food is boring!

What's the hardest thing for you about sticking to 'diet' food? I'm starting to think that because it's so boring is the reason why it's so hard to stick to it and revert back to old ways. Thoughts?
LoveDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Can open. Worms everywhere. I don't even know how to respond here other than to say that eating "diet food" (whatever that is) is not a sustainable lifestyle. I wish it was boring, then I could do it. But it's more than that. If that is not what your body wants to eat it will find a way to make you eat what it really wants. Fighting your biology is dangerous as it will make you gain weight as so many dieters can tell you. Dieters lose weight on diets only to gain it back and then some. And then they blame themselves for the dieting working. Which is ludicrous because of your doctor gave you a drug that only works 5% of the time (as diets do) and then fails you wouldn't take it over and over again and then blame yourself for the failure would you? Of course not because that kind of drug would never even get approved by the FDA
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

If the food you are eating is boring find other food. There is absolutely no reason that food has to be boring to work.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #4  

Thanks for your comments! Following up on your responses, I'm contemplating the topic of why it's so hard to change from an unhealthy to a healthy diet for most people. During my weight loss journey, I found that what really helped me was to cook healthier versions of my favorite foods so that as you mentioned, I actually did enjoy what I ate. My philosophy was not to count calories but to eat healthy and not worry about amounts. I'm currently trying to help a friend lose weight and when I try to explain this concept to them, they seem skeptical because classic 'diets' will have you believe that healthy food consists of boring things like egg whites, steamed vegetables and plain chicken breast and in very measured and restricted amounts. You both seem very knowledgeable so I'd really love to hear what advice you could give on how to tackle this dilemma! Thanks
Old 05-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Your body adjusts to liking healthy foods. It's not overnight if you are used to eating pizzas, burgers, cakes, soda, candy and other processed foods but in a few months it changes. It's nonsense when I hear people say "I do not like healthy foods". The body loves to be nourished. You just need to train it by finding the healthy foods you find tasty and sticking with them. Quite quickly you become as hooked on "diet foods" as your pre-diet ones. Variety is also important, at least for some people.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

It's going to be a bit different for everyone. I did and do have to count calories because I have always preferred healthy food but I have a large appetite and portions were a problem. (although you will note that there is a WIIIIIIDDDDE definition of healthy and not everyone will agree as to what that is and pretty much everything that was "healthy" 20 years ago is unhealthy and vice versa). I am a foodie. I never eat chicken breast or steamed veggies . Blech. and I only eat eggwhites in combination with whole eggs if I am trying to make it bigger.

What worked for you might not work for your friend. It really comes down to what are their food issues. If they are skeptical, they might be resisting because they are not ready. You can't lose weight for anyone but yourself.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:28 PM   #7  

Both great insights, thanks so much for the advice!
Old 05-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #8  

I do understand how boring is to be on a diet.. Even I was on a diet for about six months and lost 8kgs eating all boring and boiled food, but I anyhow managed to diet when my friend told me to add fat free desserts to my diet plan which she use to order from a gourmet quiche supplier. These suppliers deliver amazing fat-free cakes, brownies, cookies and etc.
JudyMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/195/160

Height: 5'10

I do not eat anything that says "low fat" or "reduced calorie" I use EVOO and small amounts of butter, Raw vinegar, I eat fresh, healthy, locally grown, organic non GMO food. I have access to fresh Tuna and range fed Chicken. Eating healthy does not have to be boring, or expensive, and when you eat more healthy, fresh or raw foods you will find the other unhealthy foods boring. I quit buying salad dressings and make my own. Its super easy and cheaper. Buy doing this I know what is in my food. I eat more raw vegetables and fruit. I do not drink SODA, juices or eat sugar. I rarely eat a baked good and they are Vegan if I do, yes they are delicious. I also make Flan, but enjoy maybe twice a month. My problem is I do not get enough cardio exercise. I love yoga and pilates, but I need more cardio. I am currently trying to get off my statin medication. I'm in an unhealthy place( tiny island with no place to hike or ride a bike) at the moment and I am moving soon so I can get more cardio.
Leliu5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217 / 205 / 175

Height: 6 ft 1

use seasonings and spices low in salt to flavor your foods. use lemons, limes, and fresh cilantro or basil as well. healthy food is not boring! in fact, it's much more flavorful than the oils, bleached flours, and greasy fats that you eat in processed foods. stick to it, you'll see!
sammisfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 387/361/155

Height: 5'2

Your only limits to food boredom are your own creativity and the recipes you can find online. Personally, I find myself significantly more bored with fast food options and the limited menus at restaurants.
Swinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #12  

Height: 6-1.5

I look at this from the viewpoint that eating something you love causes a nearly narcotic effect in your brain in which the chemical serotonin causes an almost drug-like "high." You can teach your body to produce serotonin in response to eating all kinds of things. What about fresh fruit? Apples, cherries, tangerines?

On the Standard American Diet (SAD) people are really used to fatty, over-spiced and over-sweetened food, so it is very difficult to understand that a carrot is crunchy and sweet. If your pallet is trained only to like certain foods, it is hard to get to know other foods.

Last edited by giselley; 06-27-2016 at 09:18 AM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselley View Post
I look at this from the viewpoint that eating something you love causes a nearly narcotic effect in your brain in which the chemical serotonin causes an almost drug-like "high." You can teach your body to produce serotonin in response to eating all kinds of things. What about fresh fruit? Apples, cherries, tangerines?

On the Standard American Diet (SAD) people are really used to fatty, over-spiced and over-sweetened food, so it is very difficult to understand that a carrot is crunchy and sweet. If your pallet is trained only to like certain foods, it is hard to get to know other foods.
Over spiced? Since when did that become something?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #14  

Height: 6-1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
Over spiced? Since when did that become something?
Highly spiced snack foods have sent many people to the emergency room with gastritus. On the other side of it, High fructose corn syrup is also an issue. It is much sweeter than real sugar, and people have gotten addicted to it.

Both of these "flavors" have addictive effects on the brain, which is what I was writing about. More has been written about HFCS, of course, but salt is also addictive, and it is a major component of "spicy chips" and so on. Many spices are really good for you though. So this is why many people who are addicted to salty and spicy foods, like a king size bag of chips (insert random brand name here), can go through a bag of them at one sitting. And when eating fatty pork ribs, or chicken wings, more people eat more of them because of the spicy sauces on them. There would certainly be less consumption of hot wings if they were just boiled chicken wings.

Obviously, I invite you to do your own research.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Well my thought would be you need to find foods that you don't find boring. It make take some experimentation, but I'm sure there are lots of healthier things you will like.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote