Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #16  

If I have a negative feeling I focus on it. I go from "I don't feel right" to why I don't feel right. I try to find out why I am feeling that feeling. I acknowledge it and give it legitimacy. I give myself permission to have the feeling. It's okay to be sad about "x", for example. Then I "feel" the feeling. I check in with my body. How does my body feel right now as I have this feeling? Is my heart rate a bit elevated? Do I have a slight headache? Tingling in the limbs? These are all little things that I can deal with- when I simply "feel" them they don't seem as scary. Then I try to address the source of the feeling. Some sources of feelings are within your control. Some aren't. For the ones in my control I try to make positive changes to alleviate the problem. For the ones out of my control I will either let it go or distract myself with something positive.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

I am great emotional eater!!! I eat when i am happy, sad, tired, bored... I found the only one way not to eat - be busy with anything! when i feel emotional hunger i start to do something: cleaning, walking, talking on the phone, reading. It helps to forget about emotional hunger for long time;-)
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #18  
Harness that energy.

S/C/G: 164.5/147.7/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerjv View Post
I am great emotional eater!!! I eat when i am happy, sad, tired, bored... I found the only one way not to eat - be busy with anything! when i feel emotional hunger i start to do something: cleaning, walking, talking on the phone, reading. It helps to forget about emotional hunger for long time;-)
I'm the same way! Especially with wine.

Gah, today was just awful. This calls for a glass of wine.

Today was amazing! I must celebrate with a glass of wine!

Keeping busy really is the best way to keep food/drink off the brain.

Last edited by LilDazed; 06-17-2014 at 09:48 AM.
LilDazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilDazed View Post
I'm the same way! Especially with wine.

Gah, today was just awful. This calls for a glass of wine.

Today was amazing! I must celebrate with a glass of wine!

Keeping busy really is the best way to keep food/drink off the brain.
I'm extremely busy, that has never stopped me from a binge. We live in a busy world, people have never been as busy or as fat as they are now. Distraction is one small way of dealing with a craving but by far the least effective except in a few circumstances. You cannot outrun, outsmart or distract emotions continuously. You can put them to the side for short bits of time until you come up with a better plan but that's it. Do you know anyone busier than Oprah? Nope, and she has disordered eating just like the rest of us.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #20  
Harness that energy.

S/C/G: 164.5/147.7/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I'm extremely busy, that has never stopped me from a binge. We live in a busy world, people have never been as busy or as fat as they are now. Distraction is one small way of dealing with a craving but by far the least effective except in a few circumstances. You cannot outrun, outsmart or distract emotions continuously. You can put them to the side for short bits of time until you come up with a better plan but that's it. Do you know anyone busier than Oprah? Nope, and she has disordered eating just like the rest of us.
Perhaps keeping busy isn't the "best" way then. But I tend to binge the most when I'm chilling at home so if I'm out running errands, it's a pretty descent distraction. That and because I'm trying to save up some money, I don't buy food out very often.

I always feel like eating a lot as soon as I get home from work. Like, always. Probably because I eat healthy during breakfast and lunch, then I just crave bad foods come evening time and that's regardless of my mood.
LilDazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilDazed View Post
Perhaps keeping busy isn't the "best" way then. But I tend to binge the most when I'm chilling at home so if I'm out running errands, it's a pretty descent distraction. That and because I'm trying to save up some money, I don't buy food out very often.

I always feel like eating a lot as soon as I get home from work. Like, always. Probably because I eat healthy during breakfast and lunch, then I just crave bad foods come evening time and that's regardless of my mood.
I would just make sure there wasn't any "bad foods" in the house, if that's the case. You can't eat what's not there.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Yes, it is much different than saying it in my head. For me anyway. It helps me to articulate those thoughts. But you have to push yourself to really say what you want to say and not be afraid to go there. I make sure that I'm alone though so I can say all the things I want to say out loud. Sometimes I'm shocked by what I have to say, and the level of anger that comes out. But once it comes out it doesn't fester in me anymore.
I do the same thing. I tend to be the one who people come to with problems, so I rarely share my very difficult thoughts and feelings. Sure, I'll ***** about work or something my child did, but when it comes to how I feel (especially about myself) I tend to box myself in until I can get a little more grounded.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote