Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #1  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

Default Binging for "no reason"

Hi guys,
I haven't really ever posted here so I hope it's okay I post now. I guess I am just looking for some support because binging is territory that I am lost in. I have been doing well with my diet changes, got a fitbit, using MyFitnessPal and being HONEST in it for the first time (actually tracking binges etc) and I am really lost on how to control the urge to binge.
Last night, after a great day of healthy choice and even a solid hour in the gym, I had wicked cravings after dinner and ate 900 calories of snack food that my SO keeps around (that they keep it in their apartment is totally cool with me, I can't ever keep them from buying snack foods, especially since we don't live together and they love it). I ate my through a couple handfuls of Ruffles Sour Cream and Cheddar chips (the worst of all their flavors for calories!), 3 cookies, and about 2 servings of Honey Nut Cheerios with milk. I have no idea why, either. I just WANTED it. And then I felt so bad about it all. And then I weighed myself, like an idiot, and saw I had "gained" 3 pounds and totally convinced myself it was a true reading and that I had ruined everything and everyone would "notice" the gain.
I guess I am just looking for general ideas and support. I feel like such a failure because my cravings never go away. People always tell me "Once you get into your healthy diet you'll never crave that bad stuff again!" and just not true for me, not a day goes by I don't think "damn, I want a big mac" or an entire bag of chips.
Wow, what a rant. I am so sorry, people! I hope this is okay, I just feel really lost and wanted to get it all out.

Edit*: I put "no reason" in quotes because I have no idea what my reason for it was, but I know I have to figure that part out. Just wanted to clear it up if it was confusing in the title, hehe.

Last edited by Thousandsunny; 07-30-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: Pant Size 12/6/4

Height: 5'2"

My cravings do not go away. It is a struggle everyday to not eat a whole box of cookies or giant bag of doritos or doughnuts or .... What also does not go away is my resolve to be thin and healthy again. I will sometimes eat something else if I have a horrible craving or desire to binge. Recently it has been grilled green beans. I can eat as many as I want and they are yummy. Or rice cake chips, I eat those when I want to be nibbling. I try to focus on the end result of being healthy and fitting into all my clothes again! If you do fail a bit and eat some items just begin again. It was not one bag of chips that made you overweight, it was many many bags. Pick yourself back up and get back on track.
Harriette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #3  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Thanks, Harriette, that helps a lot. I just need to remember that is wasn't one bag of chips, like you pointed out. My brain just doesn't make any sense at times! The whole idea of not letting one bad run mess up my whole year is something I really have to work.
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

My weight loss plan has a built-in cheat day each week. Believe it or not, the day is actually recommended so that those following the plan won't feel like they are being denied and so their metabolisms won't think they are starving and stall as a result. The plan says you may weigh a few lbs more after the cheat day but in the long run, you'll keep losing. So why am I telling you all this if you are not following this plan? Because I want you to know you don't have to feel guilty and you haven't "ruined" anything. Some plans even do this on purpose. Just keep going and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-30-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #5  

Have you tried exercising when you get cravings? I'm not talking about doing anything particularly strenuous- just going out for a 20 minute walk helps me. The air helps to clear my head, and relax me. Give it a go, maybe? Good luck!
snowpatrolchlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #6  
Scood

S/C/G: 71.4 kilos

Height: 5.2. Ft

I divide WW peaches into little containers or I divide yoghurt with (banana/mango) smoothie cubes,or lite Jelly which is only 7 cal for jelly and can eat the lot

This is keeping my cravings at bay at he moment, keep trying

Scood.
scood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 171/168/135

I also find it nearly impossible to get back on track when I start binging, however somehow yesterday I found something that worked (probably wont everytime). I went out for a run and then I ate a LOT of watermelon.. really fills you up and now I am back on track! Yay!
lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #8  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

I can relate. Been there too many times to count. It's odd how the mind lies to you when there is subconscious pressure at work. Factually, if you only ate 900 calories of binge food, there is no way that you could have gained three pounds.

The perfectionism of the "diet" is one reason that I'm not on one personally. That old "all or none" good or a failure thinking that wants to kick in when on a food plan is a destroyer.

What to do? Consider your binge a message to slow down and take a look at your life. Perhaps your body got the better of you. Who knows why we do what we do but looking at the content of that binge, I'd say that you had a craving for salt, sweet, crunchy. I get those too.

I have a small package of jalapeno peanut brittle in my cabinet right now. It's been there quite a while but when I get those cravings I take two pieces out (they are all on the small side) and savor them. Because they are dense, they take a while to eat, not as easily gutted down like chips or cookies and they are full of flavor.

If you have cravings, perhaps build something mobile (can be eaten anytime in the week) into your plan that will be a real treat, that will satisfy the salty sweet tooth but will limit the destruction of a full blown binge. Ultimately for me, a food addict, I had to get to the root of what was eating me before I could fully cope with bingeing.

Best of luck to you. Dust off and carry on.

Cathy

Last edited by vintagecat; 08-26-2013 at 11:24 AM.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote