Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #1  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Default Fell off the binge-free wagon

Has anyone gone long periods of being binge-free to being unable to stop the cycle again?

I went MONTHS without a single binge, something I probably hadn't accomplished in nearly 10 yrs. I was losing weight and feeling amazing about myself. Then I self-medicated guilt with food. I was tired all time so I stopped working out. Gained 10lbs in 3 months, lost muscle. I fell into a depressive state when a child I worked with passed away suddenly the same day that I had emergency surgery over an ectopic pregnancy (Explains the fatigue). I didn't work out and instead, binged like crazy on carbs, salt, and sugar- all the things that I stayed away from for so long. I gained another 10 lbs in a month from one post-opp appt to another.

Now, I can't stop. I can't fit into my clothes since I got rid of all my "fat clothes" a few months ago since I had lost almost 50lbs before. I'm just so frustrated!!!!
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #2  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

Well now seems like a good time to get a hold on it, before it worsens.

What helped you stop before?
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #3  

You have just got to get back on track. It will be hard, but get back on track quickly! Today! Now! Don't put it off!

I struggle with binge eating and I have just have to tell myself, "this (the food) is not going to make me feel better, it is not going to give me energy, it is not making ________ (whatever is bothering me) go away!"

I am having some success with going ahead and eating when I want to binge-- as long as it is healthy, fat-free, food. And then I eat until I am full, sometimes stuffed. Some will say this is not a great thing to do, but for me, I am replacing snack cakes with fruit; or a whole bag of Doritos with brown rice and veggies -- I eat until I feel better. At the end of it, I do not have the guilt I have had before. I actually feel better and like I made a choice that was healthy. Yes, it may be a baby step, but it is a step in the right direction. Hopefully as I am healed from this behavior, I will not seek comfort from food, but for now, choosing good food to medicate myself with, seems like a step in the right direction. I do not know if it will work for you, but thought I would throw it out there.

Meanwhile, you have to get back to taking care of yourself. Today is the first day back on your journey to victory. Don't put it off. The longer we give in to this, the longer it takes us to get there and be healthy strong women. Go, girl! Get up! Start again! You aren't beat, you have only stumbled. Get back up!
Fat sports mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #4  
Make each day count!

S/C/G: 263.5/see ticker/180 for now

Height: 5'8"

Someone posted a letter they wrote to themself that they would read before going on a binge on this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chic...e-happens.html
I hope her mental clarity can help
mccull83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #5  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

I've found willpower alone can't stop a binge. Sure, I've worked out how to deal with regular stresses in my mind, and I've stopped bingeing because I trust myself now in a way I never used to. But if you were to add a completely new situational stressor into the mix? I know I could easily go back there. It'll take time to work through the horrible things you just experienced, but remember one thing: the stuff they put in "binge foods" (namely: loads of refined sugar) is thought to have physiologically addictive effects. High fructose corn syrup is metabolised by your body very similarly to alcohol, you just can't tell because it doesn't get into your brain like ethanol does. It's not a case of lack of willpower: one binge starts a hormonal chain reaction in your body that makes you crave more binge foods. It's why they put salt in fizzy drinks... to make you more thirsty!

(Edit: I remember reading a study: "binge foods" stimulate the release of dopamine and/or seratonin in your brain - to help you ward off the psychological ill-effects of mental trauma. There is a perfectly good endoctrinal reason for bingeing!)

Don't beat yourself up for it, whatever you do. These foods are readily available and your hormones are reacting in the only way they know how. Think where you can break the cycle. If it's chocolate you want, maybe switch to 85% dark chocolate? It's beautiful, and this has helped me break a binge before. Are there any lovely healthy foods you can use to get back on track? Personally, I'll have a salmon fillet and roasted veg to remind myself why clean, healthy food tastes so great. Or home make tzatziki with something made of whole grain carbs. Basically, look at the low end of the GI scale, pick what looks the best, and eat it. That tends to get your blood sugar and satiety hormones level again, and can give you a leg up back onto the wagon. And processing what you've experienced will take time, sadly But time is exactly what you need.

Be nice to yourself *hugs*

Last edited by the shiv; 02-18-2013 at 02:16 PM.
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #6  

i agree with the above...

this isn't necessarily about how to stop a binge but how i finally talked myself into losing weight after being overweight for 17 yrs, i ate bags of candy and sweets every single day. i just found "healthy" much lower calorie foods to SUBSTITUTE and then it became easy

For instance start just decreasing portions if that's all you can do right now. Or find something lower calorie to satisfy your sweet tooth, there are plenty of suggestions and recipes you can find. I HAVE TO have some chocolate every day so to substitute the 1/2 lb bag of peanut M&Ms i was eating, i opted for low calorie healthy homemade hot cocoa obviously for far less calories and interestingly it worked. if you start with this you will probably find you can transition back into control but START SOMEWHERE and where you know you can sustain it and things will start to roll, so to speak Good luck, you've been through a lot but you will feel so much better gaining some control with your eating
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #7  

I am also struggling with binge eating, without much success lately. I am desperate for any ideas that anyone can offer
marcwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #8  
Susanjean

S/C/G: 186/170/130

Height: 5'2

You sound so much like me. This time last year I wore a size 8,and now wear a 16. Very depressing. I have lost 50 pounds in the past,also and was able to keep it off. Depression can really put us into a talespin of eating and binging. I noticed when I'm anxious and lonley,I seek out sugar,and binge. Last night,I made myself a lowfat,single oatmeal cookie,then proceeded to eat a chunk of white almond bark. Today,only ate a pear so far. I know this isn't healthy. Hang in there.
susanjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Your story scares me, as I am about to reach 3 months binge free and worry about falling off the wagon again.

I hope you can get yourself back on track soon. You have worked too hard to five up.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/217/135

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I wish you the best of luck sheramama. You've lost so much weight already and just consider this a little set back. You've proved to yourself that you can do it already. If you fall you just have to get right back up again.

I went a week or so eating so well and did some overtime at work. I was so tired and unmotivated that I ate everything and anything. I woke up early today and decided to give it another go. I took my vitamins and a B12. That seems to work wonders for my energy levels.

Best of luck to everyone.
Nattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

First, you've had to deal with a lot of issues in the last few months. And, quite truthfully, while I know how hard it is to have gained the weight, you obviously want to stop the trend and get back to healthier eating. I didn't know what to add, but then I noticed that you want to do this badly. You'll already set up a ticker to indicate progress back to your pre-op weight. There's something about those tickers that provides the impetus that I need. Every time you feel the urge to binge, think of that ticker and how great it will be to see it move downward. Good luck and know that you're not alone.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote