Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

Default How do you stop mid binge

I wanted to hear your personal tips and thoughts on how you stop mid binge? My binges tend to las a few days, they are big or small, but each time ill think and say to myself "okay, I'm done now, no more!" But an hour or two later, the intense need to eat more comes back on even though my stomach is already so full and I usually can't say no. Not until the next day.

What are your tips to stop? To get out of this crazy intense craving mindset? Either mid-binge or even in the morning when you feel the binge urge again, how do you resist and get back on track?
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #2  

I am also looking for tips on how to stop binging. Please help!
marcwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #3  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

The only thing that has ever stopped me from binging is to take whatever I'm binging on to throw it in the trash.

Now I HATE wasting food, so that's hard for me. THus, I do the best I can to not have food I'd binge on in the house. Including cookies, chips and crackers. I'll try to whip up some buttered green beans or asparagus to eat instead.

Portion control anything you bring into the house. I put all my cheez-its into serving size bags. If i want one, I go get one. If I want more, I'll have to go get up and get more. Plus, I have bags to count to know how many servings I have. Really, it takes all the enjoyment out of it for me. I think a huge part of a binge is knowing you've eaten a lot but not REALLY knowing the truth.

Last edited by JollyGreenSteen19; 02-19-2013 at 01:47 PM.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

Something that's helped me get over the all or nothing mindset is averaging my weekly calories. If I start to binge and overeat one day, I can just compensate over the next few days by eating slightly less. That way, a day is never 'ruined.' It's been a huge psychological shift for me.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/135/125

Hi there,

what used to help me stop was pouring liquid soap over the food I binged on and throwing it in the trash. If I still felt like I might go on stuffing myself with the healthy food I had in the pantry, then I would take a very long shower. The warm water always calmed me down.
Amygdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amygdala View Post
Hi there,

what used to help me stop was pouring liquid soap over the food I binged on and throwing it in the trash. If I still felt like I might go on stuffing myself with the healthy food I had in the pantry, then I would take a very long shower. The warm water always calmed me down.
Good idea, I would probably have to do the soap thing as sometimes I'd throw it out if something was in the package and I would eventually go back and take it out and eat it anyway (I know, that's so freaking embarrasing to admit, so pathetic)
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/135/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualappeal View Post
Good idea, I would probably have to do the soap thing as sometimes I'd throw it out if something was in the package and I would eventually go back and take it out and eat it anyway (I know, that's so freaking embarrasing to admit, so pathetic)

Don't be embarrassed. When I was still suffering from binging, I would do the same thing - that's why I would pour soap over it. I think it is quite common among binge eaters. Though I know what you mean. I used to think that no one I knew would do such thing. But then, on the other hand, you never know. I don't think I'm the first person that comes to my friends mind when they think of eating disorders.
Amygdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

I leave the house. Lunchtime is the worst time for me, since that's about the only time I'm home alone. And I have an hour. I'll force myself to leave the house and go back to work early, or go for a walk.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amygdala View Post
Don't be embarrassed. When I was still suffering from binging, I would do the same thing - that's why I would pour soap over it. I think it is quite common among binge eaters. Though I know what you mean. I used to think that no one I knew would do such thing. But then, on the other hand, you never know. I don't think I'm the first person that comes to my friends mind when they think of eating disorders.
I just wanted to jump in and say i did that sort of thing and worse (i.e. driving to the store at 6 a.m. to buy cake)--BUT only when my binging was at an all-time worst, which happened directly after a couple weeks of basically starving myself. The more restrictive my dieting has been, the worse the binge behavior that follows it. This is the lesson i've learned, and maybe it will help others.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Height: 5'5"

I'm embarrassed to say that the title of this thread kind of threw me for a loop. During a binge, it never would occur to me to stop once I had started. Once I had started, the binge really only ends after I'm miserably full and completely hate myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl2 View Post
...The more restrictive my dieting has been, the worse the binge behavior that follows it. This is the lesson i've learned, and maybe it will help others.
I think this is one of the reasons why my plan is working for me this time around. I'm almost 40 days in without a single binge, and I think it has a lot to do with finding that balance between "too little" and "too much" restriction.
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #11  
Yo Yo Me

Height: 5'10"

I am also looking for tips on how to stop binging.
sunster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #12  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

For me, it sometimes helps if I can workout. For some reason, working out can help me snap out of it, but not right in the middle of a binge...only the next day. However, there are times when nothing helps and I binge repeatedly for months at a time and undo all the hard work that I've put in.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #13  

I think it can be hard once you are in a binge to snap out of it in the middle of one. We tend to be all or nothing thinkers and when start one, we usually have to finish. The, "what the ****" effect. Because surely we'll be "good" and kick this habit for good tomorrow, right? Yeah...

The thing is, the last few binges I've had (the last one was on Feb 8) were so small and less frequent compared to my ones of the past. I did in fact, stop mid-binge with the last one. I stopped because as I was eating, I realized that no part of me was enjoying it; I was just inflicting pain upon my digestive system for no good reason, and then, I stopped. And far sooner that I would have done in the old days! It's like I reached a point of almost getting bored with binge eating. It just wasn't fun anymore plain and simple. Like an exhausted habit. I actually asked myself, "what are you doing?" That seemed to have brought me back to reality.

I don't know if I will ever binge again or not. I will never say "never" (because I have before, and I have broken that never and it was devastating to have happen) and just live life for now as if I am not a binge eater.
bingefree2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 301/287/240

Height: 5'7"

I think that my problem is that, when I am in the middle of a binge, I do not WANT to stop. I can think of all these things that would help: take a nap, drink a lot of water, go for a walk. But, in the moment of a binge, it will either not occur to me to do any of those things or I just don't want to... :/ Luckily, I'm getting better at stopping the binge before it starts...
katrinakit is offline   Reply With Quote