Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #1  

Default Binger seeking guidance

I have always kept my binging a secret but my Mom always knew. I would go from my room to the snack drawer several times after school until I had my fill and that has continued through my whole life. My fondest memories are eating limitless amounts of chips and salsa and reading Babysitters Club Books at the kitchen table until it was time for dinner. I have always been addicted to salty foods, chips are my favorite. Once I had my drivers license I would sneak to fast food restaurants after school. Eventually this turned into me ordering several value meals for myself and eating until I felt sick. I counted and I spent $250 last month on eating out. I will eat out every day for lunch at work, and then my secret binge trips before I go over to my boyfriends house or home to see my parents. I think I might be a healthy weight if I didn’t binge. I think I am approximately 50 lbs overweight.
Writing this all out scares me and makes me cry, but it is the truth I have never faced before. I have thought about and attempted diets for the past 8 years with no success, I cave to my cravings, binge and throw in the towel. I think the longest I’ve made it on a diet is 3 weeks. Ordering food and eating in excess is my own little reward for myself, even though I don’t deserve it and it’s really quite harming. Psychologically I have no idea why I do it. It’s like something that has been programmed in me forever. I think that it affects all of my motivation in other parts of my life. If I have a binge it makes me too lazy to clean my house, do school work, get up for work, etc.
I have no idea how to move forward but to try to find a therapist or try to stop binging on my own. Money is really tight so it looks like I’m on my own with this. Any words of encouragement or advice is welcomed, I’ve never had the will to actual face and admit to this and it’s scares me to death to think I could fail again. If anyone has a program to try or articles they recommend I would appreciate it. I'm not sure I would be ready to start a 'diet' just yet. I'd like to spend some time learning about why I think this way and how to prevent it.
ificouldbe anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

Height: 5'6

Sweetie, I suffer from Binge Eating Disorder too, but I have it waaaay more under control than how I used to be, and it's because of exercise. I never exercised in my LIFE. Never had any interest, never thought I could. Then I joined a gym, ate my last thing at about 5 PM, worked out, came home, and forced myself to go to bed without eating back the calories. Doing this saved me THOUSANDS of binging night calories, AND I was burning some. The weight literally melted off. When I first started doing this, I'd weigh a pound less every morning. Try it! You can do it!
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 168/see ticker/147

Height: 5'5"

Well you have come to the right place and as you will see you are by no means alone with this! Practical things you could start right now is log all you are eating. I'm not saying cut back if your not ready but note every morsel, there are great apps that make this very easy. it lets you see if there is a pattern. Think about incorporating more protein, carbs like bread potatoes, crisps etc just don't fill you up. Step up the fruit and veg whatever you fancy. As previous poster states move a bit more in whatever way you can manage. Walking is a good start. Try this for a week or two just paying attention to how you feel at certain times and after certain foods. Some times we over analyse the "WHY" might be worth accepting okay this is where I am what can I do to get somewhere different? Keep reading through the forum and keep posting, we can help you with this.
Milly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

I used to be addicted to both salty AND sweet foods. I used to loooooooooooove potato chips and crackers. But i noticed once i started eating HEALTHY salty foods, i didn't crave that junk. Meat, cheese, cooked vegetables etc. all have salt (though i wouldn't recommend eating EXCESSIVE amounts of salt with those foods)...they might take care of your savory tooth. My only problem now is the sweet tooth--the only "healthy" thing that can replace that is fruit, and somehow that doesn't do it for me.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #5  

I really appreciate the replies from everyone, thank you. It really is great to know I have others to turn to that know what I'm going through.

I decided last night that the only way to get out of this is to make an effort. I'm not going to set any long-term goals for myself yet because I don't want to set myself up for failure, I want to take this one day at a time. I am going to try to stay away from what I'm addicted to: salt and carbs, and really just focus on eating in moderation. That and exercising with my dog are the only rules I will have for myself right now. I am the type of person that LOVES to plan my success but does horribly on the follow-through. This time I'm keeping it simple. It already feels awesome getting this out in the open and admitting it is a part of my life!! I am very grateful for all you wonderful people here.
ificouldbe anyone is offline   Reply With Quote