Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/176/130

Height: 5'8

Exclamation What in the world!

Okay question for you wonderful people. What kind of mindset/strategy helps you from not giving in to foods that you can easily binge on when they are right in front of you. I have the biggest weakness for sweets, so when i see them lying around, I cant help it. It goes from one nibble, to one spoonful, and then at the end ive eating two cupcakes. What keeps you guys from over indulging? Im trying to get rid of my sugar binges.
ilovemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #2  
Fat Fox

S/C/G: 187/181.5/136

Height: 5'5

I definitely try not to buy sugary things because they do for me every time. If I do have something and I find myself out of control with it I get rid of it, pour salt on it, water, put it in the outside trash. The way I see it is it's better to waste it than eat it.

Just recently though I have found I can get a nice little sugar hit, when I am feeling really down and miserable, from dried fruit. Things like dates are fantastic and they aren't great for you and they do have quite a lot of calories but they are still better than cake and chocolate. Also I find one or two is enough I don't need a whole bag.
Foxevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

Recently I read that saying no to the first bite is far easier than saying no to the second. If you don't try anything with sugar for awhile, you will see that you won't miss it. Of course, all of us are different, and what works for me may not work for you!
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

"Resist once at the store and you don't have to resist a hundred times at home" is what I tell myself. I know there are times I get bored and want to eat and root around in the kitchen looking for a sweet and then I walk away because "there isn't anything good here" and then I realize I wasn't actually hungry after all. It's the sweet thing.

I also make sure I've had a matching protein food to offset the blood sugar spike of a carb. (I'm PCOS/IR, but this would help anyone. You don't have to be prediabetic to think about blood sugar.)

Fruit is sweet -- have it on hand. Esp diff types of melons. Can have a lot but not blow the calories.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 193/176/130

Height: 5'8

Thanks ladies! great advice.. I seriously think I cant lose any weight unless i stop binging on sugar like i do.
ilovemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #6  
Dream BIG to be small!

S/C/G: (kg)75/74/46

Height: 159cm 5"2

I've been on a binge-fest for the past week and now that I've (hopefully) finally gotten a hold on myself, I realize it's because I was setting myself up for failure by stocking all the junk food in the house! Before the binge I usually just kept ONE type of junk food in the house just for a treat. Variety really sets my eating off. Must be something to do with evolution... hmmm. xD
unidestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I think part of it comes down to belief. Nutella is one of my very favourite foods, and I used to believe that I "couldn't" keep it in the house without eating it compulsively. I've polished off a 400-gram, 2,000-calorie jar in a few hours more times than I care to admit.

But my two teens both love it, and toast with Nutella is a quick and convenient breakfast for them when they're pressed for time, so I started keeping it in the house about a year ago. I was right in the midst of my 50-pound weight loss at the time, so had a natural motivation to stay away from it. I learned that I CAN resist it without instating an absolute ban on it. Once every couple of weeks I'll have a banana and melted Nutella for breakfast, and once in a while I'll have a teaspoon as a snack. I never thought I'd get to this point, but for the most part I don't even think about the Nutella on the shelf anymore. My new belief is reinforcing my new state of mind.

So, I suggest you do an experiment in belief-changing: buy just a few sweets and let them "lie around" for a few days. Every day you're able to resist them will help change your belief from "I can't" to "I can."

HTH Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 01-27-2012 at 05:40 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote