Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #1  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Default Does anyone feel like they have conquered binge-eating?

Hey chickies! I was just thinking about how many of us suffer from binge-eating, and wanted to know if there was anyone here who thinks they have really found their own solution to the problem.

How long did it take you to "get over" binge eating?
Did you have a specific moment of "aha!" or was it a gradual thing?
What techniques did you use at first, did they stay the same, and does it get easier?

even for those who maybe feel that they have just gotten better at controlling themselves... I am just hoping to hear that some of you feel that you really have recovered from this, or maybe that its gotten easier. maybe it never gets easier, but we get stronger? I just feel that I have been a once- a -week binger for so long, never much better, never much worse... I want to make sure theres some hope and maybe see what really did work for someone!

I hope that wasnt too long or rambly... Thanks for any and every answer or tidbit of advice!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't say I'm perfect at it, but yes, I have really stopped binge eating on a regular basis. I haven't had a binge since Spring. It disgusted me so much, I vowed never to binge again. And I haven't. I've eaten more than I should as of late so have been maintaing as opposed to just losing weight.

But to me, the loss of my shame during a binge is worth all the weight that's still staying put. I'm just starting to slowly decrease my amount of sugar and carbs so that's why I'm posting more.

The defining moments was me being surrounded by an empty gallon of ice cream and an empty cake box. I don't remember eating them. I just remember the horror and guilt of realizing what I'd done yet again. I was absolutely repulsed.

But I can definitely say I feel a heck of a lot better. I am stronger and I know I can pull through even when faced with a buffet of food. There will always be ice cream, popcorn and cake. I can always choose to eat them later. I do not have to eat them now. That's the thought that pulls me through. "I can always eat it later." I hope everyone here experiences this too!
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:35 AM   #3  
Grace

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/154

Height: 5'9

I think I can say that I have conquered binging!!

I was an extreme binger, gaining all of my weight from binge foods. I used to drive to and from work and I used to stop at garages or convenience stores and buy a supply off food to stuff in my mouth during the journey. Then I may have stopped at McDonalds! I felt like there was nothing I could do to control it, all I wanted was the feeling of happiness I got when I was gorging on junk. Even breakfast in the office I binged, all I wanted even at 7am was chocolate and cake!

Since I started my diet, I have weekly cheat days and I still don't binge on these days, although technically in my head I would be 'allowed' to. I genuinly do think my cure for binging was to not restrict my calories too much!! I used to try and eat 1200 a day, which triggered evening binges, now I eat 1800 a day and never really think about binging ever!

It was literally an over night thing, I realised OMG I haven't had that out of control binge thought for months and it makes this diet worth it, even if my weight is shifting sooo slowly, it is so worth it!

Last edited by Blondie160; 11-30-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Blondie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

I'm significantly better. I still overeat, though, but mainly it's not due to an emotional trigger but out of convenience/practicality or due to a celebration. For instance, I'm currently on a business trip and the reality is I have to eat out with my work colleagues and some restaurants don't have a single vegetable on the menu! I'm doing the best I can in a tough situation. I'm probably overeating in terms of calories in order to feel full (I refuse to constantly feel hungry for a week) but I'm also no where near to the levels where I was at before where I would've eat out+dessert+coke+maybe some drinks.

The key for me was eliminating sugar. Sugar was by far the biggest trigger EVER for me. The next big one was white bread (and that includes pizza). However, sugar really was the killer for me because it made me infinitely hungrier and I really just couldn't control myself at all. I went about 6 months with absolutely no sugar (not even hidden sugar like in chips or something) or artificial sweeteners (I did have natural sweeteners on special occasions and fruit).

When I started eating sugar again I went a bit overboard and it took awhile to find the proper balance. However, I now eat on average dessert a 2-3 times a week. Many times that's something homemade that doesn't include sugar but sometimes will buy a small bar of chocolate or frozen yogurt and split it 3-ways in our family.

I really, really needed that detox period. I don't think I would have been successful without it at all. I can't say I'm perfect and I'll still need to be aware of my issues with sugar (and be diligent that 1 bar a week doesn't creep up to 1 bar a day, stuff like that) but I can see cake or cookies or chocolate and say no and not obsess about it. Before I wasn't like that at all. If I saw something I HAD TO HAVE IT or I'd think about it AL DAY and then end up buying something similar.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I've had ups and downs my whole life. I don't think I'll ever be "recovered" or "conquer" binge eating but when I truly put my mind to it I can control it.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/230/130

Height: 5'5''

I've been struggling with it so much the last few months but have been focusing on one day at a time. Each day I tell myself today I won't binge and then before I know it several days have gone by!
MKLindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 130

Height: 5'9

No i haven't conquered it ...but I believe (or hope) that I'm on the path to controlling it...I've had many, many ups and downs...early this week i had a bad binge..and now I'm 3rd day in on my no-sugar diet. The culprit is, as others mentioned, SUGAR. I've eliminated sugar in the past and in my experience it took me about 2 weeks to stop craving it and the only thing that made me fall off the wagon wasn't my craving for sugar but was self-sabotage..I'd have this voice inside my head that would say 'wow you haven't thought about eating sweets..how is that even possible? you MUST still want it!' which would then lead me to stuffing my face even if i wasn't particularly enjoying it...why? Perhaps to confirm my fears that i'd never succeed. It's sick, i know. Anyway, its usually after a very bad binge that i'm able to start regaining control of my poor eating habits..i suppose the way to conquer or control binge eating is to allow enough time to pass to kick the bad habit-and to understand WHY you're binging in the first place, good luck
nat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #8  

Height: 5ft 7

I feel as if I have conquered it.
The first week on Dukan was tough as I was used to eating bars and bars of chocolate every evening. I am not kidding sometimes 10 bars of cadburys dairy milk...
But now I don't even want it. If I haven't eaten much and am hungry I just fancy a yoghurt.
I feel I have gotten myself out of the vicious cycle of binge eating. For me the Dukan diet helped immensely and I am still losing weight!
Flora x
Flora37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm only on day 9 after almost a year of just not caring...I let myself gain over 30 lbs in the past year after having lost it all, and I ended up higher than my starting weight from my last diet.

It wasn't my highest weight of all time, but it was still a major bummer.

You have to want to stop, and just take it one day at a time. Don't let a slip up turn into a binge, and don't let a binge turn into an all out free-for-all.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #10  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

I don't think I am an expert but I think I can say that I have conquered binging cycle.

The first step was recognizing that I was having a problem with food. I think I was in denial about my problem, I thought it was normal behavior. I thought getting out of bed at 11pm and going to order 2 double cheese burgers, large fries, large drink and a dessert was something a lot of people did. I thought eating until I got that sick feeling was satisfying. I had to realize that this was not normal or healthy behavior.

Second I had to cut out all fast food and eliminate the junk in my house. I couldn't have it sitting in my cupboards without wanting to devour it. This was extremely hard for me, when people say fast food is addicting I believe them whole heatedly. I craved that food so much that it made me irritable, I was angry I could not have it. It felt similar to the withdrawal I felt when I quit smoking, that it how strongly I wanted that cheese burger! I had to remind myself every day that I would rather be skinny and healthy then give in for that 5 minutes of momentary pleasure. There is a light at the end of the struggle though, after 1-2 weeks the cravings were substantially less significant and after a month I didn't give it a second thought.

Once I was over the fast food and junk I reduced my carb and sugar intake. I found that when I had to much sugar (hidden or not) I was way more likely to raid my kitchen. Same goes for my carbs, to many triggered the binge feeling. After all that, It is honestly a day to day thing, I have to be aware that the feeling could strike at any moment and ready to fight and crush it when it does!

Don't get me wrong though, there have been several times when I have lost control and basically ate myself into a corner. I find that this usually happens around TOM and am still learning to control myself. I will probably never have a perfectly healthy relationship with food but I am willing to fight and strive for it

Last edited by Mimzzy; 12-05-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #11  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

I once maintained my 120 pound weight loss for 7 years. One would have thought I was cured of obesity and bingeing. When the circumstances in my life changed, I went back to using food to cope. As in alcoholism, I do not believe bingeing or overeating behaviours can be cured, but I do believe they can be well managed. I am learning how to manage my eating, how to continue doing what I need to do to stay healthy and feel good.
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 203/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I agree one small bowl. I think I will always need to be mindful about bingeing. I cut my calories too much a few months ago when my weight loss had stalled and was getting frustrated. It triggered a couple of months of battling with binge episodes. I finally got control after I upped my calories and cut back on the amount of cardio I was doing and focused more on weight lifting. It brought back memories from when I was much younger and trying to lose weight. I felt so out of control. It really scared me, I was so afraid I would gain back the weight I had worked so hard to lose. So now I know I have to much more careful in the future and if it take longer to reach my weight loss goal so be it
lulubellebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I haven't hit my goal weight yet, but I've been working on it since the beginning of the year - though I don't think I will ever be "cured" of binge-eating, I do think it has gotten easier.

Right now, I'm going through a rough patch (medical reasons) and for the past 2 weeks, I've been turning to food again. I've gained a couple of pounds back. BUT - the difference between now and say, a year ago, is that I know what is triggering my binges, the binges aren't nearly as bad as they have been in the past and I'm actively working on getting it under control (even though I'm still in limbo, medically).

So, I'm in a binge-phase right now - but I understand it, I'm forgiving myself for it, it's not as bad (not NEARLY as bad) as it has been in binges-past and I'm actively working on correcting it. To me, that is success!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #14  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Honestly I don't think it is conquerable (is that a word?? Haha) It's almost like I need to accept this is my problem and it's something I will have to manage and live with the rest of my life. Looking to defeat it makes me tired just thinking about it so I'm learning new ways to cope with my emotions and if I slip I don't get into a self negative talk with myself. Listening to my body cues also and trying to be more mindful and honest with my food before it goes in my mouth. Meditation, recognizing the voices in my head....all these things I do (sometimes not everyday) but I keep trying my best. The binge pops up in spurts, usually around TOM but I try to do my best and binge one good foods, like today I'm STARVING so I just had celergy....lol before it would have been cookies. Like any addiction, food is mine. I can't run from it, I have to learn to manage it, forever. I believe I have accepted that, and that's what makes it easier to handle. I can't handle the whole idea of "conquer" it's too big for me to do that, and that mindset keeps feeding the negative self talk I do with myself.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 232/153/135

Height: 5'3"

Conquered is not the word I would use.

I believe I am in recovery from binge eating. I haven't binged in over 6 months. It doesn't rule my life. I'm not white-knuckling my way through temptation to do so, even though I've had some rough stuff happen in those 6 months. Being around my binge foods, even while other people are eating them, isn't a temptation for me (though I don't have them in my house, and if people bring them, I make them take them home after the party).

I also don't think I have any more self-control than I did before. What changed things *for me* was learning how to cope with my feelings and just life in general in ways other than binging. I believe binging will probably be pretty instinctual/path of least resistance for me for the forseeable future, if not for the rest of my life. But I am much happier now using other tools and coping skills than I EVER was while binging, so to me the inconvenience is worth it. (It's a lot easier to binge than it is to talk a problem out with someone, or to wait out the feeling, or to let something that's really pissing me off go.)

For me, I got my freedom from binging by joining a 12 step group and actually working the steps. I had a grace period where I wasn't working the program but had a pretty miraculous experience of the desire to binge momentarily (for about 2 months) taken away. When things started getting harder I got more serious about doing the steps. It's worked for me. 6 months free and 70+ lbs gone, I'll take it. Even if it's not perfect and I am very aware that without BEING aware and doing certain things I could go right back to where I came from and worse.
tigerchild is offline   Reply With Quote