Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/170

Height: 5'11"

Default losing weight ... how are you doing it?

How is everyone who is trying to lose weight, along with controlling their binges, going about it? I've toyed with counting calories, but seem to get obsessed and then ultimately binge ... sane with Atkins & low carb ... so I'm attempting more of an intuitive eating lifestyle & hopefully weight loss will follow? I'm just curious what everyone is doing and am very open to suggestions. Also, side note, I've been reading a 100 days of weight loss book that's been actually quite helpful if anyone needs a little help
FatToFitWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Hey there, I've been doing weight watchers and have found it MUCH easier than counting calories. I tend to sabotage myself without fail when I track calories also. Good luck with whatever you decide!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #3  

I have done well with calorie counting because it makes the most sense to me from a lifelong lifestyle perspective. Once you get a better sense of the calories you need for your life, body and age, you are more aware of how you eat day to day.
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #4  
Get to goal & stay there!

S/C/G: 235/154.8/150

Height: 5'5"

I've just about done them all! lol What I've found works best for me is cycling different protein diets (I get bored easily). Having more protein in my diet not only helps me lose faster than a diet higher in carbs, but it also takes away my sweet tooth and keeps my hunger at bay.
sandcar150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 168/148/135

Height: 5'8"

I've done well with calorie counting, and calorie "banking". I don't really cycle calories but I allow myself a max of 1550/day. So, if I eat 1300 for a few days, and have a night out or something planned, I can use those calories then. Of course if I have no time that I "need" to use them, I don't.

When you count calories, are you making your daily target too low? I know I couldn't do 1200 a day, just couldn't. but 1550 (plus "gaining" some extra calories when I work out), is definitely doable, and I'm losing 1lb/wk.
lissvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4''

Calorie counting is very effective for me when I actually stick to it, but lately I'ee been out-of-control binges.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #7  

Both exercise and diet are equally important when trying to lose weight. You can't have one without the other. For me, I think you need to set realistic goals and do something you enjoy. Don't make yourself run and eat spinach if you hate to do both of those things. Find an activity you like to do and explore different healthy options because you will stick with it long-term, not only short-term.
RHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #8  

Weight is 80-90% food for me (and for most people). Exercise has its own rewards.

Running (15-20 miles a week) keeps my eating honest but it's the eating that takes weight off for me.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #9  
Less of a Better Me

I can never be entirely satisfied with one program...so I do a combination.

1. Calorie counting -- I like to know the calories that I eat and also the breakdown between fat, carbs and protein. I look more at my average over a 7 day period than really caring about any one day. I do this at livestrong

2. Weight Watchers - I do count Points Plus and attend meetings. I find that for me I do better having a weigh in at a meeting every week and that the group meeting keeps me focused on weight loss. I don't really learn anything new anymore at the meetings but just going helps keep me on track. The weigh in gives me a short term goal. If I'm tempted to overeat on a Thursday or Friday I remember I'm weighing in Saturday and that helps me keep from bingeing.

Atkins - I do find it overall easier to eat lower carb although I'm not hugely sensitive to carbs. I like Atkins due to its emphasis on net carbs and actually counting carbs. However, I don't eat as strictly as pure Atkins would say to eat. And, even in Phase I, there were things I modified (for example, I ate nuts).

South Beach Diet - I probably like that eating style the most. But the lack of calorie counting and carb counting makes me uncomfortable. Portion control is very important to me. Also, SBD is big on eating reduced fat and I don't necessarily do that. Also, I do occasionally eat things that aren't really allowed on SBD.

For me, I take what is useful from any plan and combine it to make a plan that works for me.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #10  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

I do calorie counting. I log every day.

I've been vegan for 2 months as well so that's helped a lot and I do not binge anymore.

I also go to the gym 3-4 times per week do 30mins cardio and weights. On gym days I find I eat better cuz I don't wanna undo my hard work
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 232/153/135

Height: 5'3"

I track everything I eat, am learning to do it by calories (with targets for fat/protein/carbs) instead of just going by WW points (was simpler for me and less overwhelming when I first started).

I work out 4 days a week (unless I'm ill), but those are checkmarks, I don't "take back" the calories or points.

I measure all portions. Of everything. And don't lie to myself in my journal. Honesty seems to be the key for me. I've always slipped back into denial and hiding from myself. Not this time. And this is the first time, not coincidentally I'm sure, that not only have I made steady progress but I've also lost 70 lbs (more than 50 lbs more than I've ever been able to do).

I got support for binging, and am pretty much willing to do what I need to do at whatever point I am at so that I can keep out of the food. Even if it offends some people's sensibilities or if it's scary for me (like asking for help).

Total honesty with myself and willing to do what it takes (which for me personally is mostly about environmental changes and going to meetings/taking time to myself vs doing yet another thing for kids/church/school) no matter how uncomfortable it is to me have been the difference for me this time. It's also meant that instead of eating everyone else's stress and sacrificing, I've actually asked important people in my life to sacrifice a bit too for right now (starting to transition out of needing so much structure now, it's scary but good).

So far, so good. I know that I could totally fall back into old habits if I'm not honest and willing to work on it. I also acknowledge and am preparing for the fact that maintenance is probably going to be a very different animal than losing weight. With all the things I have been discovering about myself in this process, I'm thinking that maintenance is going to be way harder for me than losing weight.

But I try not to get too far ahead of myself; right now I am making awesome progress (average of a little over 2lbs per week), I am still in weight loss mode and will be for awhile, so I just keep on keeping on one day at a time. This is just what's working for me. 70 lbs gone so far, 6 months binge-free. I'll take it, even though it's not perfect or fun all the time, and doesn't match my fantasy of what it should look like.

Last edited by tigerchild; 11-19-2011 at 07:46 PM.
tigerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #12  
Mountain Peak

S/C/G: 220/176/160

Height: 5' 11'

basically what everyone else posted
i think with calories counting it becomes intuitive after awhile

now i dont even have to think about it, or read the labels lol

i just look at it and BAM!
chicken - 100-150 without skin

you can also start tracking the foods you usually eat, you'll get the hang of it!
PencilBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #13  

I've just been eating smaller portions and being more active. The process for me has been slow but people who have lost weight and kept it off have shown that slow and steady wins the race.
sexychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 272/269/145

Height: 5 ft 6 in

lo cal as possible which sometimes does lead to binges sometimes many day binges but from June 26th till now i have lost 56lbs
BECKY84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #15  

Exercise and diet! you need both to lose weight. I say sign up to a enjoyable exercise class with a friend. and for diet, there are tons of low-calorie diet options that are good and healthy. Fiber 1 cereal, yoplait yogurt light, whole wheat pasta, salads, etc. Good luck!
RHay is offline   Reply With Quote