Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #1  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

Default trying not to, trying not to binge...

jeez.

ok. been doing really well with not bingeing. have had one binge in the last 4-5 months. awesome for me. i feel one coming on. i've been getting really snacky lately at night, which is prime binge time for me. it's been getting harder, and harder not to. most of my friends that i call to "distract" myself are on east coast time, so it's too late to call. i've already eaten dinner, and i'm not hungry.

i've thought about what's bugging me..lots of things are, but nothing out of the ordinary. i've smoked like 3 cigs in the past hour, and i refuse to have a snack, because i feel like if i eat something, i'll eat everything. nothing on tv can hold my attention, i'm just sooo anxious for no reason. arg. omg i just want to stuff my face. i feel so freaking gross right now. i hate this feeling.

needed to vent. trying trying to talk myself out of it, but i can't remember anything my therapist told me.

tell me something, anything.

Last edited by fillupthesky; 03-17-2011 at 01:53 AM.
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:42 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Go as far away from the kitchen as possible. If you can go upstairs, then do it. If you're in a one story house, take a big glass of water, some gum and a pen and paper and go to your room. Start to draw pictures of what you want. Your goals. Even write down how you will feel when you get to goal...visualize. Close your eyes and focus on how you will look when you get to goal. Visualize how you will feel when you wake up in the morning after controlling this moment. YOU are in charge. Not the food. I read somewhere here that if food is not the problem, then food is not the answer. Whatever emotions you are trying to numb, the food will only do it for those few moments when you're stuffing it in and after that, all those issues will just be magnified. Take control and go for your goals. You have made it this far and you can absolutely survive this night!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:01 AM   #3  
trying to impress myself

thanks for the encouraging words and advice, luckymommy

i live in a rather large studio, so the kitchen is not entirely avoidable, but i'm on my bed, which is in an alcove so i can't "see" the kitchen. i've been planning my day for tomorrow (i do ww online), and looking at some old photos of myself when i was much thinner, and how confident i was feeling back then.

the urge is definitely distracting though, but i'm telling myself that i am in control, i am in control, and that i can survive this night. i just hate that the urges have come back so bad.

one hour at a time.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 AM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I have faith in you. If you make it through tonight, tomorrow night you may feel right as rain and back on track. One hour at a time.

I would suggest not drinking or chewing anything or even smoking because the oral fixation can further the desire to eat. Have you brushed your teeth? If not, go brush your teeth.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:06 AM   #5  
trying to impress myself

thanks krampus its good to know that you all have faith in me.

i have brushed my teeth and i'm laying bed, hoping to get tired realllllly soon. i'm watching "the nanny" (love that show), fantasizing that i'll look like fran drescher did in 1996.

i wonder- do you think smoking could kind of further the urge to a binge with the oral fixation and such? i usually do it to calm the nerves and keep myself occupied in general, distract myself from eating...never though if it otherwise- interesting, krampus
Old 03-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

I do not believe smoking calms your nerves, but does the opposite. You should talk to your doctor about aids to help you quit smoking; it might help your stress level.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

can you go for a walk next time?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #8  
not planning - doing!

S/C/G: 175/171/135

Height: 5' 7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaM View Post
I do not believe smoking calms your nerves, but does the opposite. You should talk to your doctor about aids to help you quit smoking; it might help your stress level.
This is true BUT to a smoker... It makes them feel less stressed because it releases serotonin at higher levels. I know I am an ex-smoker - I smoked 2 packs a day from the age of 13! I quit - quitting back in 2004 and have not smoked since then.... Smoking also suppresses hunger.

Anyway - my suggestion is RUN! Go out no matter what time it is... find somewhere to go - a friends - a book store.... anywhere that you can change your environment. RUN RUN RUN... even if you can't of somewhere you can go... go for a walk around the block and then when you are done - give yourself a great big hug...... why because you are smart enough to conquer!

Last edited by KimZ; 03-17-2011 at 09:28 AM.
KimZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

fillupthesky - I totally understand, this week I have been VERY close to bingeing - Been feeling SO anxious and I can't pinpoint the anxiety - Yesterday I did everything I know to do - Walked in the AM/PM for a total of 5 miles - made some hot tea and sat in the hammock, wrote in my journal, meditated... etc. etc. and still, after dinner was over last night, I ate a spoon of PB, a spoon of nutella and a Luna bar - overeating and emotional eating but not QUITE a binge... Today I am focusing on eating my meals without distraction and eating whole, unprocessed foods - breathing and just putting one foot in front of the other.

We CAN get through this.
SarahinBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #10  
trying to impress myself

hey everyone- i survived the night without bingeing/eating.

thanks to everyone for your input

@seagirl and kimz- i wouldn't go for a run/walk outside (my neighborhood isn't so safe at night) but there is a fitness room in the building, so i can walk/run on the treadmill.

@sarahinbalance- congrats on not bingeing! i have many of those "not quite" nights as well. sometimes the "tools" that i've learned just don't do it. but like you said, we can get through this. one day, one hour at a time. i wish i could pinpoint what's making me so anxious as well. my life is in somewhat of an upheaval right now, but it has been for a few months. like you said- one foot in front of the other

@monicam- being that my life sucks right now, and i'm trying to lose weight, i can't give up my smokes. horrible excuse i know, but i feel like it keeps me from jumping off the space needle at times LOL. i'm not ready to give them up yet.

i ate my on plan breakfast and midmorning snack. so far, so good. i worry about nighttime though.

again, thank you ladies for the support

Last edited by fillupthesky; 03-17-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #11  

Oh don't we all know what you're going through. I normally live 20 miles out in the country with no stores withing 5 miles of me so if I crave there is nothing for me to get into but fresh veggies. Right now I'm in Florida and there are restaurants and stores and goodies shops everywhere. I'm craving and fighting to get my mind off the temptations all the time.

Why do our minds work so hard to sabotage us? Why do we have to fight so hard all the time while our thin cousins just seem to not even think about food? grrrrr!

I'm glad you made it last night. Tonight should be easier??? How about picking yourself up a puzzle or a book of puzzles to work on when the evenings seem too long. The time will pass faster and at least you'll be at bedtime quicker if nothing else.
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #12  
trying to impress myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timlin View Post
Oh don't we all know what you're going through. I normally live 20 miles out in the country with no stores withing 5 miles of me so if I crave there is nothing for me to get into but fresh veggies. Right now I'm in Florida and there are restaurants and stores and goodies shops everywhere. I'm craving and fighting to get my mind off the temptations all the time.

Why do our minds work so hard to sabotage us? Why do we have to fight so hard all the time while our thin cousins just seem to not even think about food? grrrrr!

I'm glad you made it last night. Tonight should be easier??? How about picking yourself up a puzzle or a book of puzzles to work on when the evenings seem too long. The time will pass faster and at least you'll be at bedtime quicker if nothing else.
i know. i envy people who don't obsess over food the way i do on a minute by minute basis...lol.

i haven't done a puzzle in ages! i'm actually going to target tonight with a friend, and i might pick up some buzy things. i'm also going to get some stuff for a vision board. i lost my job in december, so i job vision board is a MUST at this point...