Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 12-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 274 / 216 / 150

Height: 5'6"

Default Nutrient "servings" rant

Small sized food packages that have multiple nutrient servings drive me crazy. I feel like I need to watch labels closely to look at "X servings per" or I'm being tricked. I don't care of your package is only 90 calories per serving if there's 3 servings! Or how small cans of soup are 2 servings per can. Two servings still might only be 180 calories, but I just consumed double my sodium intake!
Smiller264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Too true. I'd also like to add how much I hate ones that give calories in a unit which is not used on the packaging, e.g. 115ml tub of creme fraiche with calories per 100 grams, calories given in a way you cannot properly separate them e.g. "per 30g serving prepared as directed with 125ml of semi-skimmed milk" or given in ways in which you cannot sensibly prepare a meal, i.e. calories per 100g of cooked product when that is radically different from 100g of raw product. What weight of noodles should I put in the pan to get 75 cooked grams of it? I very nearly got fooled on that one, I had already cooked them before I noticed and had to put half in the bin.

OTOH some things are given in strangely giant serving sizes, like per tablespoon of butter/LF spread. !!! OK, and how many calories in half a scraping of it so that it couldn't possibly be visible on top of my toast? Why are you giving me the calories per 10oz of yoghurt?! I suppose you hope that by demonstrating a large serving size with a small calorie intake you are going to encourage people to eat more of it and buy more of your yoghurt?

My lasting favourite, however, was calories per 125g serving in a packet with 200g of product in it. You cannot make 2 "servings" out of that so I guess they assume you will eat the 200g.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Height: 5'7"

Have you ever gotten one of those products that says "Serving size: approx 9 pieces. Sevings per bag: 6." Then you bust open the bag, divide it out into individual portions only to find out there are either 10 servings or each serving has to be 14-15 pieces. What's with that??? I have given up products like that completely out of calorie-aggravation.
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #4  
Daily Struggle

Height: 5'3

hehe i will never buy a product that tricks the consumer in that manner, it does make me laugh though.
Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #5  

Meh. Serving sizes on packages are pretty much arbitrary. Usually they are common units rather than nutrient balanced. Just get out a scale or portion out the serving in an amount YOU feel is appropriate. Just because the serving size is two tablespoons of peanutbutter doesn't mean you need to eat exactly 2 TBSP at once. It's a convenience measure instead of using pinches, dashes and other such quaint measurements (which I happen to have a set of spoons for lol).

1 ounce/28 grams - cheese
1 tablespoon/~15 grams - butter
2 tablespoons/~32 grams - peanutbutter

2 ounces = 1/8 cup
4 ounces = 1/4 cup
8 ounces = 1 cup

These are pretty standard units of measure

Ones that are per 100 grams are giving an easy to quantify amount. Anything per 100 is pretty convenient.

As for a package that contains 1.75 servings, that's because the serving size is in a convenience unit, and the packaging is based on marketing and cost.

Ever made a recipe that called for a pint of sour cream? Ever notice that your pint of sour cream is really only 15 ounces? (16 ounces = 1 pint). That's not because of marketing, not because they think you will just round up. They don't expect you to buy another container of sour cream either. It's all marketing.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #6  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Crazy serving sizes are a pet peeve of mine as well.

I have never known anyone over the age of six who regularly splits a standard-sized can of soup and calls each portion a meal. It's a rather sneaky way to make a product look better for you than it is. "Only 80 calories a serving," the can says, or "Only 500 grams of sodium per serving!" Yes, but virtually everyone who buys the can will actually be consuming 200 calories and 1250 grams of sodium.

And it's not just people with huge appetites who run afoul of serving sizes, either. It's typical to consume one can of soup, one muffin, one bottle of a soft drink--yet the nutritional information considers each of these seemingly single-serving items multiple servings. The person who cracks open a can of Coke and drinks it by herself is a LOT more common than the one who portions out her servings. It's downright dishonest.

Manufacturers of dietetic or "light" food can be prime offenders, too. How better to make a product look diet-friendly than to call a tiny mouthful a portion so you can claim some ridiculously low calorie content on the label? I'm with Transporter; I just plain don't buy those products again because I get so ******* off that they essentially try to trick their consumers. Grr!
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

[QUOTE=Nola Celeste;3609222]Crazy serving sizes are a pet peeve of mine as well.

I have never known anyone over the age of six who regularly splits a standard-sized can of soup and calls each portion a meal.

Hahaha, I actually eat only half a can of soup. Part of my initial eating plan was figuring out what single portions of foods were and eating that. I use measuring cups for everything (you have to serve food with something anyway, so why not do it measured out). I do think my boss thought the soup thing was weird til I explained why I was doing it.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #8  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Well, now I can say I know one person who does!

It's definitely smart to know what one serving of soup is, and although I don't eat canned soup often, when I do I count both servings. It just makes me crabby that if I wanted to eat only one serving, I'd have to toss half the soup out or find somewhere to store it in my fridge.

I also like to use measuring cups as serving utensils. Makes so much sense, doesn't it? And my kitchen scale gets a constant workout throughout the day now. My husband originally bought it for using European recipes for bread-baking, but it's sure turned out handy.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

Measuring cups totally make sense. Plus something about the precision makes me feel like a mad scientist. One cup of coffee+ ½cup soymilk+ 2tblspns chocolate syrup and voilą!! it's alive!!! < Sorry, I'm bored at work.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #10  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I've found that if I concentrate on eating foods that don't need ingredient labels (and eggs, which have ingredient labels for historical and political reasons), I don't have to worry about portion sizes as much. It's not like it's going to slow my fat loss if I eat twice as much fresh kale as a USDA approved serving ...

K
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #11  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarisaande View Post
Serving sizes on packages are pretty much arbitrary. Usually they are common units rather than nutrient balanced. Just get out a scale or portion out the serving in an amount YOU feel is appropriate. Just because the serving size is two tablespoons of peanutbutter doesn't mean you need to eat exactly 2 TBSP at once.
Of course, but then that is to entirely miss the point. It is the misleading claims placed in massive writing on the front of the products and the real information hidden on the back. I've been an avid food reader for most of my life and I love to find out the hidden secrets and debunk the claims, but in reality this is a minority passtime, and for the country (US or Britain) as a whole where many people need to lose weight but aren't quite ready for the full-on commitment of doing it, this sort of information lulls them into a false sense of security - oh wow, these cakes are only 102 calories per portion (for 1/4 of a muffin!)

Where does it stop? What is the point that it tips over from being devious marketing to being an outright lie? I could market M&Ms as only 8 calories per portion if I placed the portion size as one sweet, so if people are going to be allowed to comment in writing on their food products about the content of a portion then that portion should be something that a reasonable person is likely to consume. If you pre-pack an item in a way that is clearly for immediate consumption such as a single muffin in plastic wrap sold at the counter in a coffee shop with a same-day sell by date then a portion is a WHOLE muffin. If you sell muffins in a packet of 4 in a grocery store with a best before date for 6 days' hence then the idea of serving up half a muffin is slightly more acceptable, but I still think they should just be smaller muffins.

Sour cream is sold in 3oz tub here, so not sure how many ounces are in a pint pot. Then again, a pint is 20oz here, so if it had only 15 in it that would be grounds for investigation. I'm not sure if you have the same symbol in other parts of the world, the big "e" that means the weight is somewhere near that amount, it's within the prescribed tolerances, which I forget. I think it's about 10% out either way, so a 100 gram bag of something could have 90 grams in one and 110 in the next. Of course manufacturers are going to take some advantage of that and aim to get close to the minimum amount they have to put in, why wouldn't you if the law allowed you to sell 15oz as if it were a US pint?

We get far more aspects of our behaviour from social conditioning and absorbing from our environment than from deliberate learning, if you go into the school cafeteria every day and you get served a massive heaping of fries then you grow up believing that to be a reasonable amount of food, and if you are suddenly faced with a genuine portion you feel robbed, no matter if you have just come from health class where they told you that's a proper sized portion.

And of course the other annoying thing about oversized portions is having to go home and repackage the whole lot yourself. The minimum size I can buy chicken breasts in is 5 "portions" in a packet, except that those portions are all slightly under twice as big as they should be for a recommended adult's meal. To preserve all that chicken I have to take it home and then get it out of the packaging, cut off the bits of fat and skin that the machinery has missed and then weigh it, cut it and reseal it in bags for the freezer. Would be nice if having paid a premium (there isn't another choice on offer any more) for it to be butchered if they butchered it into appropriate sizes, not giant ones.

The truth is that if stuff is sold cut to size, the absolute vast majority of people are going to eat it that size. This is not an issue of what people who have already gone to the trouble to investigate these things are eating, it's what others are un-knowingly doing and the effect that has on all of us. Try serving a small child an appropriate amount of food in front of most other mothers and see how many calls are placed to social services that you are starving your child!
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote