Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #1  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

Default breakups and binges

hi everyone

my boyfriend and i just went on a "break". we had been fighting for a while about stupid things. he works as a contractor for a computer company, and his contract ended recently. he decided to move out and try to find a job in California, which is where we both wanted to end up after living in Seattle for a year or so. well, he left on Sunday, and i've been a mess since. i've been bingeing, not keeping to my eating plan, and not exercising. i'm very depressed, and i know i should use this time to myself to work on things, but its so hard for me to take control of my life. this is exactly what i was afraid of- that i would have no distractions, and all the time to work on my body and lifestyle, and not take advantage of this opportunity because i'm so upset.
so...any advice on how to get my life back? i had made too much of my life about my boyfriend, and letting the fighting be an excuse for me not to succeed at my weightloss goals. well, he's not here, i'm living alone for the first time, and i want to succeed. i don't want to bing so much and stay on track. any advice?
thanks all in advance, and sorry for the long post.
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

I'm sorry things are so sucky for you right now. First, forgive yourself for your binge because no one is perfect and you're going through a rough time. The important thing is that you get yourself back on track to a healthier, happier you!

It sounds like you're trying to fill the void left by your boyfriend with food - which is something I totally understand. You don't get to my weight in my life by being someone who can't eat when she's upset. However, that doesn't mean it's a healthy way of dealing with things.

Do you have friends you can talk to and hang out with when you're feeling lonely? A hobby that you've been allowing to slide because you've been so invested in the relationship? Maybe you could find something (ideally many somethings) that can fill your time and attention and help you be a fulfilled person without turning to food.

Hopefully someone else will come along with better advice than I'm able to give here.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #3  
trying to impress myself

i appreciate your input
normally, i would just surround myself with friends and family. the crappy part about that is that they're all in NYC. i moved out to Seattle with my boyfriend last year, and i don't have that support group that i'm used to, i do have a 2 friends out here who know what's going on, and they've been very supportive this far. i just hate to overload them with all my crap.
there are sooo many things i can/should be doing. i'm just having a hard time motivating myself.
i try not to let myself get too upset about the food, but i feel my pants getting tighter and that just makes me feel worse and i'll binge again. arrggg...i'm totally eating my emotions- the emptyness, the anger, and the sadness.
thanks for your post sunshine73. i need to keep all that in mind
Old 11-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

I agree w/ Sunshine! Do you have any close friends or family that you could perhaps talk to or even do things outside of the house with? I find that if i'm depressed I just tend to stay home and of course if i'm home I'm bored and snacking.
Maybe you can make a list of things that you could do? Walking/gym, sight seeing, hang out at a friend's house, go to the movies, scrapbook, shopping (sometimes I just go out and browse stores,lol). Just find some things to keep busy.

Don't forget that you're a strong woman and that you can get through this! Tell yourself that okay, you had your binge and just let that go.

Big hugs!
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

sorry I didn't see ur post about friends or family.
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #6  
trying to impress myself

Quote:
Don't forget that you're a strong woman and that you can get through this! Tell yourself that okay, you had your binge and just let that go.
thanks- forget that i am a strong woman at times. i can do this. i just need to pick up the pieces.

its also just annoying that there is no "plan" per se about when we'll stop this break, or break up, blah blah blah
i think i would be in my best interest not to talk to him too much and really just focus on myself.

Last edited by fillupthesky; 11-06-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: adding quotes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #7  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

I'm sorry you're going through a hard time. I definitely agree about getting out of the house. I like to go for walks outside and listen to books on tape on my iPod when I need to escape. I don't know why, but it works!
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #8  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

Maybe make a list of things that you can do to take care of yourself. We need pampering and special care when our hearts are so vulnerable! Then, make a plan for the next day (or 1/2 day, or whatever you can stomach) full of those things. It may help to look over the list often to remind yourself about what really makes you feel good, not just feel good for the 30 seconds (or minutes) that you are consuming it.

I'm sorry you are going through this. It sounds so stressful & painful. You can only take care of YOU. So be kind and spoil yourself rotten during this time. Create some structure to your days so they are not just open wide to whatever & your mind goes racing. Books, movies, bubble baths, spa-time, long walks, dancing, shopping - - or if you can make the time, a trip back to NYC for a long weekend or week.

Take care of yourself. Again, I'm sorry to hear you are going through this.
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Didn't anyone tell your boyfriend that the state of California is bankrupt ? We have a lot of unemployed people here . Good luck on him finding a job. the computer industry isn't what it used to be. I live in Silicon Valley and believe me the boom has gone bust.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #10  
trying to impress myself

to just keep swimming- i've actually been meaning to pick up some new books. i haven't read anything for fun in a WHILE...never thought about books on audio though- thanks for the suggestion

cherylmm- thanks for the words of encouragement. i do need to pamper myself. i've been thinking of a few things, like a weekend trip, a tattoo, or a cat (i know, random choices!). i don't necessarily have the $ to do many things, but in this case, i think its worth it and i genuinely think a little splurge will help me get some confidence and joy back. unfortunately, i'm not the best list-maker, but its a good idea

bargoo- i told him, his friends in Cali told him, he's just stubborn and strong willed. he doesn't seem to want to admit that it will be SO HARD to get work in his field right now.

honestly, my anger towards him is starting to surface. if he falls flat on his face and can't get a job and is couch surfing, that's his problem. a little harsh, but i'm hurt, you know? i left my family, friends, and my home of 25yrs to come to Seattle with him. and he up and left me here. yes, we had problems, but we could have worked them out differently. whatever happens to his career or financial situation is his sh*t.

i just really have to focus on me. i just have to help myself get over those moments of vulnerability where only mountains of food will comfort me. i just have to stay strong, keep focused, and make me happy.

hopefully him eating his heart out in the end will be icing on the cake

phew, felt good to get some anger towards him out!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

I am so sorry you have this turmoil in your life. It is so difficult to find a way out of the pit.

I think it is the uncertainty of the situation that creates the biggest stress. It doesn't allow you to move into healing stage. And it doesn't allow you to ponder your future.

So take some time for yourself - paint your toes a bright red! Take some time to be busy - rent or go to the movies, go to the store and buy some (cheap) fresh flowers, tell your friends you want to be busy and need their help with just that. Make plans with your friends to play cards or board games on Friday night.

You have been involved in quite an adventure. You did what most people only dream of doing. It took great courage, faith and confidence. You still have all of those qualities. This part of the story is painful but it is part of your adventure.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #12  
trying to impress myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixC Chix View Post
I am so sorry you have this turmoil in your life. It is so difficult to find a way out of the pit.

I think it is the uncertainty of the situation that creates the biggest stress. It doesn't allow you to move into healing stage. And it doesn't allow you to ponder your future.

So take some time for yourself - paint your toes a bright red! Take some time to be busy - rent or go to the movies, go to the store and buy some (cheap) fresh flowers, tell your friends you want to be busy and need their help with just that. Make plans with your friends to play cards or board games on Friday night.

You have been involved in quite an adventure. You did what most people only dream of doing. It took great courage, faith and confidence. You still have all of those qualities. This part of the story is painful but it is part of your adventure.
the uncertainty is really difficult. honestly, i'm very confused. he says he loves me, blah blah, but then, why did you leave me here to fend for myself, without support, no car, and all the bills to take care of on my own. i'm struggling with my own feelings, in the sense that part of me wants to tell him to eat sh*t and get out of my life, and the other part of me wants to run and have me hold me. i feel like i'm thisclose to falling apart.
but i'm trying.
and i want to do things for myself, but this apartment is so lonely. and i just lack the motivation. but i'm going to keep going. i'm actually going to go out for a but and play poker with a friend and some of her friends.
on a logical level, i know and understand all the things i need to do to make this transition. but its just so damn painful. and the fact that i hate my relationship with food and that it's the only thing i turn to makes it worse. its a vicious cycle, and i know so many of you can relate. just fyi- i do appreciate the words of encouragement, the suggestions, and the concern. it really means the world to me right now.

much love
Old 11-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
the uncertainty is really difficult.
Try to put some certainty back in your life - maybe in another area.
Make a plan for your financial future - Do you work outside the home? Will you have to look for a job? Will you have to work out a new budget?
Can you get out of the lease and find someone who needs a roommate. The apartment has a lot of reminders of this relationship. Maybe a fresh start. Overwhelming at this point, I know, but it doesn't hurt to think. Write out a list of ideas and solutions. Heck write about everything. Get the words out of your head and onto paper.

Also, bills in his name only - don't pay. Just forward them to him in Cal. He may be able to move away from his emotional obligations but his financial obligations will follow him everywhere. This is not me advising you to be a vengeful b!tch. It is about treating him as an adult.

Quote:
but its just so damn painful
Oooooo boy do I know this one!
There are the feelings that you are unlovable - its just not true. It feels like it but it is JUST NOT TRUE. There are different kinds of love and although there may be no romantic love right now, there are others. 3FC is a place for finding love - love from your sisters. Friends and family, too.

Another component is the feeling that you were ripped off emotionally. Relationships are about keeping things equal and balanced - I do this because I love you and you do this because you love me. You probably did more of the first part and didn't get enough of the second especially since he decided to move. He left things way out of balance. How is he able to do that and live with himself? I dunno but how he was raised, how he treats his family may give you a clue. You invested more in the relationship than he did. You had given him love and trust and respect and he took it. But he left without paying you back. Extremely painful to you right now fo' sho'.

Binging and eating will not ease the pain - it only numbs it for a short time. Take from the experience the lesson you are supposed to learn from it. The seven stages of grief are valid and true for any loss (except maybe weight loss ). It takes time to get through them and the time it takes is different for everyone and every situation. It is a healing pain not an injury pain. The cut has already been made, these are the stitches.

It is what it is and you cannot change it. You can change how you feel and deal with it. Fake it til you make it. Live and learn. Cliches? maybe but oh so true.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #14  
trying to impress myself

thanks for your suggestions- unfortunately, i can't get out of the lease, but that's ok. my apt is walking distance to work and i like the neighborhood i live in. i can afford to live here on my own, i only worry about not being able to save. i've been toying with the idea of redecorating, getting some things to make it more my own.
a few of my friends have suggested that i move back to NYC, but i really like my job, and i feel like this is a great opportunity for growth. also, i feel like going back to NYC and living with my parents until i get a job would thwart my weight loss efforts.

Quote:
3FC is a place for finding love - love from your sisters.
this is very true, and its nice to know that people here have taken the time out to respond, offer their advice, and give support. honestly, i feel really lonely right now, and knowing this gives me a tremendous amount of comfort.

honestly, i don't know how he walked away so easily. and i was the one giving more. things got tough, he took the first opportunity to run rather than work on it. and all that is helping me think about the relationship in general. do i want to be with someone like that? or do i want something more for myself? do i want a partner who will go through the rough times with me, or someone who just runs away? again, even though i have all the arsenal i need to walk away, i still find myself wanting to be with him.

and its hard not to look to food. its been the constant in my life, but a bad constant. if i had the confidence and love for myself, i would have the courage to walk away, ON MY OWN TERMS, not let him call the shots. but alas, i will only gain the confidence by NOT bingeing, by exercising, and eating what fuels my body.

i got lots of work to do. and i think i'll be able to get through it. i do have to "fake it to make it".
cliches are around for a reason right?
Old 11-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #15  

You poor thing. I feel your pain. Went through something similar a couple of years ago. It is so easy to use food to fuel your emotions. I am sure you are stronger than you think you are.
Take control! Be your own boss. Do this for yourself.
Make a plan and stick to it. Write a journal it helps. Try going to the gym, I met so many people who became a great support system for me.
I love to cook so I would go online and try recipes from different cuisines.
I wish you luck and even though relationships are tough we still have to remain true to ourselves and who we really are.
usam is offline   Reply With Quote