Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #1  
it IS all about me!!!

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/165ish

Height: 5'8"

Default I have the wierdest cravings...

Please allow me to preface this by saying that my TOM is very imminent and I spent all day yesterday busting my hump cleaning a long-neglected kitchen.

I just scarfed about 8oz. of raw beef. With good sea salt. I frequently crave raw beef (I always eat steaks very rare) along with other iron-rich foods like spinach, chard etc. at this TOM - I know it's an iron craving (I've yet to find an iron supplement I can tolerate).

What shocked me was the fierceness of this craving! I've been on a medically-supervised low carb LCD for 1 week now, and lost nearly 18lbs. It's shakes, MCT oil, lean protein, lots of veggies, about 800-1000 calories... but I have been eating chicken, fish, shrimp all week. No beef. I am comfortably in ketosis and haven't been all that hungry and have had no trouble resisting crap food. WTH??? I just got gobsmacked by such a fierce beef craving, caved in, and now I actually feel better. Weirded out a bit, but physically better.

I don't feel guilty exactly... more like I feel like I should feel guilty. I just succumbed to a craving after all. I guess it's bugging me enough that I feel a need to confess it (and I'm not even Catholic, lol!)

I guess I'm feeling a bit shaken, and welcome your thoughts. Thank you for your time.

Robin
RobinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #2  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Well, it doesn't seem like what you ate was off-plan for you, so no guilt required, right?

And it would seem like listening to your body and what it needs is a good thing (within reason!).

I never feel guilty when I succumb to a craving for roasted asparagus with extra garlic. It's actually a relief to crave something healthy!

Last edited by My Michelle; 08-25-2010 at 07:12 PM.
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #3  
it IS all about me!!!

Oh! I guess I was thinking that all cravings are bad? Or at least something to be leery of? I'm glad to know that this is not necessarily the case.

Needless to say, I skipped my scheduled afternoon snack (another shake) afterward, and dinner will be back on plan (crab meat and salad veggies with fresh lime vinaigrette, yum!)

Thanks, Michelle!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #4  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

MMM, fresh lime vinaigrette sounds lovely! Enjoy your dinner!
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

RAW?!

O.O

Won't you get sick?!
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Ah, ****.....you stayed on plan, food-wise. It's only a minor infraction. Not even anything to worry about...fuggedaboudit.

I LOVE raw fish, especially salmon. I buy large ones at Costco and cut them into fillets....meanwhile shoving nice big raw chunks into my mouth. Yum!

I remember I told some people at a job that I ate raw salmon all the time...and they didn't believe me. So I brought in a raw fillet of salmon and ate the whole thing raw in front of them....and they were all gagging and grossed out, lol.

And I also get the cravings for it just like you do with the beef.....I have no idea why.....but I can totally relate. The only other cravings I've ever had like that was when I was pregnant with my first son.....and it was avocadoes (needed pantothenic acid? Who knows). I could not shovel enough avocadoes in.

But you are doing great. On plan food-wise....no problemo.

deena

Last edited by Deena52; 08-27-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:08 PM   #7  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

Mmmmm... I <3 raw beef, could eat it for dinner every night if it didn't gross my hubby out. lol

Seems to me like you had a craving, fed it, and went on with your life and got back on plan. Sounds like you handled the situation beautifully, kudos to you!
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm in the camp that's totally grossed out by eating raw beef...lol. But, I agree with the others that you ate something not completely unhealthy, and got right back on plan. For that, you should pat yourself on the back!
Hickory0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #9  
it IS all about me!!!

Thanks, everyone!

Deena, I love sashimi, but I've never just eaten fish raw. I adore salmon, and the trout we catch every summer are red-fleshed bruisers that taste like sockeye. I've always eaten them on the med-rare side, but I'll have to try it raw. It simply never occurred to me. I love Lox, and Civiche, so I MUST try raw salmon. And I adore avocados!

And DoV... ever heard of Steak Tartare? No, it won't make one sick unless it is tainted with eColi or something. I always make sure any beef I will eat raw has been frozen (no worms, lol) and thaw and handle it carefully to avoid bacterial nasties. Never have gotten sick, after years and years of this (I'm 47). My former MIL used to always say (about my blue-rare steaks) "My god, you're going to get WORMS!"

Actually, from a nutritional standpoint, eating raw is good as cooking destroys nutrients.

Thanks again, everyone!

Hugs,
Robin

Last edited by RobinD; 08-30-2010 at 07:45 PM.