Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-09-2010, 05:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/170/145

Height: 5'7

Default help :( no control and need advice please!

Whenever i'm home or have nothing to do, I have to eat. It's awful. I can't concentrate on anything else or doing anything I used to love because all im thinking about is food while trying to do it. I've been busy the past few months and have lost weight because when im doing something out side of the house or around other people, I won't be tempted to indulge. Now, though, i'm out of school for the semester and am worried about gaining a lot of weight back because i will have a lot of free time. I'm trying to find some volunteer work to keep me busy, but I don't know how much time that will take up.

I'm curious if anyone has experienced this too... do you have any advice? Everything feels futile, especially exercise. I get in this, "nothing matters anyway" mindset and feel like i'm going to gain weight either way.

thank you
nicollle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/195/148

Height: 5'5

oh gosh i am with you on this one ...i'm on summer break soon and will be home alot so i will be taken summer classes to be away from home but i suggest you find something you like to do such as start walking your dog or go out more often and do anything else besides lingering around at home with food constantly on yoru mind.. i'm struggling with this issue as well and i think its best to just keep yourself busy with anything
cheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 239/139/125

Height: 5'3"

I'm like that too; I eat when I'm bored. Yesterday to combat the "gotta eat" feeling; I cleaned up a bit. It helped a lot.
mjhart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #4  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I'm the same way and really struggled with this last week. I actually had to stay away from home in order to avoid the after work, after gym bingeing. I just went to the book store, blew some time at wal-mart, just stayed away long enough that I knew I could come straight home and go to bed.

Boredome eating is such a habit and an addiction in itself and in that sense, you have to substitute better habits for it. Like the volunteer work, that sounds awesome! I usually just tell myself, "I'll do ______ for an hour, and then if I still want to eat, I will." Usually, the urge goes away. It's always worst initially.

You aren't alone honey and you CAN overcome this!

Last edited by ThicknPretty; 05-09-2010 at 09:51 AM.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/235/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm in the same place - sitting around with nothing to do makes me hungry. Today, I came on here and started reading. Since I'm still "hungry" I plan on shampooing my floors to help distract myself...
Grandiose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #6  
300+ Chick

First let me say on your weight loss progress you are working on!! Amazing and whenever you get that bored moment, Listen to upbeat music, it helps and keep staying motivated!

Good luck with your continue progress! You can do it!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 223/204/160

I am also with you on this one - i have the same problem when i'm not called into work.

I heard that gum may help. It keeps your mouth busy and you still get the same chewing sensation.
hhaffner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #8  

Height: 5'1"

I am the same way! I, too, need to figure out a way to keep myself from continuing to do it!!
Heartwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 320/170/145

thank you guys for the advice ill definitely be trying a few of these. If only I could be more social, lol. Damn insecurity :/

I definitely do the go to a bookstore or walk around wal-mart thing a lot. it seems to help a bit. i like the music idea too, and i just bought some gum now lets see how long I can keep up with this gym thing...
nicollle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/ticker/125

Height: 5"5

I am totally in the same mood right now. It's Sunday, I have to stay here and do homework. My boyfriend bought this huge bar of chocolate last night and it's just staring me in the face. Along with all these other goodies. I want to eat because I'm kind of bored and I don't want to do homework.

But I got on here instead and made a cup of tea. It's doing the trick. Tea usually does the trick when I have the urge to binge. Caffeein-free with a little bit of agave.

On the gum note, I personally find it to do more harm than good. If you use it a lot when you're craving and crave often, it's not good for your jaw. It's good for the occasional use but I wouldn't fall back on it long term.
foodfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Maybe make up a bunch of extra low cal snacks and "bribe" yourself with them. 10 minutes walking and you can have 1 celery stick with some salsa. Or whatever works for you. if you can combine exercise with the urge to eat and then eat super healthy foods, it will give you something to do and also not derail your food planl

You've come such a long way already, I'm sure you can work it out for the summer!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:38 AM   #12  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

My sister has overcome some serious addiction problems in her life and I am so proud of her. One thing that I think really helped her was getting started on needlepoint. It kept her hands and mind busy and she gets into a rhythmn with it and time flies for her. She is now a real needlepoint artist. For me, I make jewerly. It can really be anything you love to do with your hands in which "time flies." Maybe you can find a new passion?!
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #13  
Toight like a Toiger

S/C/G: 225/208/160

Height: 5ft9

i have always had this problem as well. When I created my diet (with my doctors help) I kept this issue in mind. My new way of eating is 6 to 7 small meals/snacks a day with loads of fruits veggies to binge on.

Ill do a 7 meal plan as an example. I wake up at 5 and eat 20 walnut halves (meal 1) I get to work 2 hours later and eat an orange with oatmeal (meal 2) two hours later is lunch so that is fish with a veggie (meal 3) 2 hours later I have a regular yogurt with 15 pistachios (meal 4) 2 hours later and an hour before I leave Ill have another orange or banana with cheese and sugar snap peas (meal 5) Im home and make a large salad with 2 hard boiled eggs and ranch dressing (meal 6)

Now usually I am pretty full after this and some meals I actually have to force down cause they are so close but it took away the cravings to snack in between and if I need to there are plenty of oranges, carrots, cheese sticks, sugar snap peas etc in my fridge to do so. For my last meal if I am still hungry I will treat myself with a 100 to 150 calorie smart start treat. All of these foods are within the calorie range of 1700 to 2000.

Everyone is different and this is just the way I do it. I thought I might share it with you so maybe you can see your options and maybe tweak it to make it your own Good luck, and you look friggin amazing!!!
Gamerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 307/245/157

Height: 5' 6"

I knit to keep my hands busy. Or sew or embroider. Busy hands don't reach for food.
lavenderannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 281/181/165

If you have a lot of extra time get new hobbies you like to do or get to the gym. I love to go to the gym when I get out of work :} it is ME time!! I work from home so I feel your pain BUT get a journal and be VERY strict about journaling EVERYTHING you put in your mouth and you might think twice about what you might eat :} I am on WW so I have to count points so that helps once I am out of points I am done for the day!! It is more of a habit then anything and I sure hope it works out for you.
lovinww is offline   Reply With Quote