Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-14-2010, 01:27 AM   #1  

Default Spiritual Detoxing

Hi girls,

I recently went through the ending of an on-off 2 year relationship which had turned long distance. It turns out he met someone new, which is fair enough but he failed to tell me for 2 months while he made up his mind so...yes, needless to say it was not an easy breakup. I already suffer from depression (medication: Efexor 150mg 1xdaily) and compensate for that by binge-purging, cutting, and overindulging in the party scene. Two weeks of this which was preceded by a nasty cold means its been three weeks since I worked out, two since I bothered about my diet, and I'm pretty sure that I have gained a ton of weight. I feel mentally, physically, and psychologically exhausted, so I wanted to ask what your opinions were on doing something like a fruit fast, only for 4 or 5 days...but I was planning on changing it to just raw fruits and veg, lots of water (at least 2 litres), and maybe a few "treats" of coffee (no sugar) and diet cola (but only every once in a while).

I also want to work out while I do this, and I just want to know what you guys think. I know the fact that I have no protein may be damaging, but if I take it easy (which I will), I think I should be okay. Do you guys have any experience with severe restriction like this (but only for a brief amount of time, of course) and if you could tell me what you think and any advice you have that would be great . Exercise wise I am doing yoga once in the morning or at lunchtime, and then once before going to bed. I also want to do 10min uphill walking (6mph at eventual 12% incline (work up from 3%, inc. every 1min by 1%) and have a 5min cool down. Then I want to alternate between upper body workouts (30-45min), cardio (couch to 5k), and lower body workouts (30-45min). So that means one day I do walking, yoga, and upper body, the next day I do the first two and cardio, and so on and so forth. Thoughts? Suggestions? Well-wishes?

Take care lovelies.
dropkickmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #2  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropkickmurphy View Post
Hi girls,

I recently went through the ending of an on-off 2 year relationship which had turned long distance. It turns out he met someone new, which is fair enough but he failed to tell me for 2 months while he made up his mind so...yes, needless to say it was not an easy breakup. I already suffer from depression (medication: Efexor 150mg 1xdaily) and compensate for that by binge-purging, cutting, and overindulging in the party scene. Two weeks of this which was preceded by a nasty cold means its been three weeks since I worked out, two since I bothered about my diet, and I'm pretty sure that I have gained a ton of weight. I feel mentally, physically, and psychologically exhausted, so I wanted to ask what your opinions were on doing something like a fruit fast, only for 4 or 5 days...but I was planning on changing it to just raw fruits and veg, lots of water (at least 2 litres), and maybe a few "treats" of coffee (no sugar) and diet cola (but only every once in a while).

I also want to work out while I do this, and I just want to know what you guys think. I know the fact that I have no protein may be damaging, but if I take it easy (which I will), I think I should be okay. Do you guys have any experience with severe restriction like this (but only for a brief amount of time, of course) and if you could tell me what you think and any advice you have that would be great . Exercise wise I am doing yoga once in the morning or at lunchtime, and then once before going to bed. I also want to do 10min uphill walking (6mph at eventual 12% incline (work up from 3%, inc. every 1min by 1%) and have a 5min cool down. Then I want to alternate between upper body workouts (30-45min), cardio (couch to 5k), and lower body workouts (30-45min). So that means one day I do walking, yoga, and upper body, the next day I do the first two and cardio, and so on and so forth. Thoughts? Suggestions? Well-wishes?

Take care lovelies.

I do wish you the very best -- You have been through a lot and I know it hurts, but this sounds like a recipe for quick failure to me. Perhaps you are punishing yourself? Don't do that! If you are restricting yourself and thinking you will have the required energy for the exercise plan, I think you may be headed for problems. Find a plan that allows you plenty of good food, plenty of high protein, and beginning with moderate exercise such as 10-20 minutes of interval walking. If you eat well, you will feel better and be energized. I know, just one opinion here, so maybe someone else will have another thought on this! Best, Joy2MeNu
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #3  
I am losing it!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6.1

Hi, sounds like you have a good plan for exercise. But the liquid fast concerns me. I'd listen to your intuition ("low protein might be damaging") ("severe restriction") because it sounds like you know its not the bestest choice. I know we all want to drop the weight fast but with your high stress levels you will have a hard time losing... atleast that's what happened to me after I ended a bad two year "thang". I'd go slow, be patient with yourself and make a meal plan based on giving you energy & strength. I've found all sorts of advice on this site about percentages and ratios and calorie counting... find what's right for you =) Best of luck, I do wish you well.
Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #4  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Protein is important for exercise. The protein in food is what builds lean muscle mass and also regulates blood sugar. Protein is involved in regulating insulin so you may get more cravings by skipping protein. Protein has the same amount of calories (4 kcal/gram) as carbs (4kcal/gram).

I remember a dietician told me that when I have a snack, I should couple a carb with a protein. Apparently the carb curbs hunger faster, but the protein keeps me satisfied longer.

There is no need to fear protein... If you fear fat, you can eat lean proteins from soy (eg., tofu & edamame), egg whites, beans, and other things.

Our dancing carrot needs a dancing soybean
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #5  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

IMHO, it sounds like you want to go from one extreme to the other. In the past, when you have tried anything extreme, has it worked for you? I know extremes never work for me.

I like your title of "Spiritual Detoxing". It sounds like a "spiritual" detoxing would be a better idea than a physical one. Take some time to absorb what you have just been through. Take some time to do healthy things you enjoy.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Do you have anyone to talk to ? You say you are on depression meds, do you see a counselor of any type?

I think you really need to talk to a professional about what you are going through. It does seem that you are going from one extreme to the other.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:46 AM   #7  

Quote:
I think you really need to talk to a professional about what you are going through. It does seem that you are going from one extreme to the other.
Urgh, it does seem like that. I chatted with my friend last night and what she said really shocked me. She said that I was making an excuse to go back to severe restricting and purging because I know it made me thin last time. And she said that I had done so well with recovering and eating like her (so normally) that I shouldn't throw it all away because of some idiot that broke my heart.

Iiick. It's so hard. The only way I know how to stop doing something is to go cold turkey. So I can just refuse to eat, or I can eat everything, deciding only to eat healthy things is harder for me. I think I might make an appointment with a dietatition after I talk to my therapist, maybe it would be easier if I had an EXACT list of what to eat every day for a couple of months...of course then there is the money issue -_-;.

But thank you girls you have really helped to talk me out of going back to where I was a year ago. And I will continue meditating and yoga, because it does calm me down. I just have to work on getting out of bed before 12 every day. *sigh*
Old 04-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Well, diabetic or not, there's nothing wrong with eating that style. Lots of menus here:

http://diabeticgourmet.com/Food_and_...Meal_Planning/

Scroll down to the middle and find the red links on the left.

Nothing fancy in terms of food or prep, but it's all laid out there.

If you want detox books, I like this one because it is simple, has menus, lays it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Detox-Cleansin...314282&sr=1-12

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 04-15-2010 at 02:55 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

You can't 'quit eating'. That is an extreme behavior that simply doesn't work.

However, it could be interesting if you stuck somewhat with the juicing/smoothie idea. Maybe just for breakfast, or breakfast and lunch? When you do this, you can feel almost the feeling of pure energy entering into your bloodstream. That might also help you out a lot, combined with exercise and yoga, regarding your moods.

That being said - you have to look for the correct recipes that include fruits AND vegetable that DO have protein (also, flax seeds/ seed oil is an excellent way to add the protein). Also, possible adding a tablespoon of peanut butter. The correct recipes keep you satiated - but not all day (at least not me).

There are a gamut of rawfoodists who LOVE to do juice/smoothie detoxes for a few days - they seem to have perfected recipes for getting an incredible amount of protein and vitamins.

If you decide to incorporate juices/smoothies into your diet, do it to embrace the feeling of energy, not to avoid eating. Be kind to your body. I would guestimate that each smoothie has between 3-400 calories.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #10  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I'm glad you talked to her friend and she pointed out that you were finding an excuse to go back to your eating disorder. Isn't it great how friends are there for you? I hope you process your breakup by talking about it rather than distracting yourself with starvation.

Having ED and losing weight in a sensible way is so hard. I haven't accomplished that very well myself. But I'm better than I used to be.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:28 AM   #11  

Quote:
Having ED and losing weight in a sensible way is so hard. I haven't accomplished that very well myself. But I'm better than I used to be.
It really is. Breaking the habit of pretty much a life time (I'm 22, but my ED..dieting, self hate, low self-esteem, mood swings, etc.) started when I was 10, maybe even 9 when I developed (quite early I think, at least for the time). Would it be okay if I PM'd you when I needed some extra support? I do need support from someone who understands the recovering EDNOS patient in me...and if I go back to places where most people hang out who have eating disorders I'll end up back where I was. I promise I won't message you too much haha