Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/114/108

Default What are you doing....

...to stop binging?

So far I have read two books on binge eating (Overcoming Binge Eating and Binge Breaker) and have started implementing strategies from both books.

Here are a few things I am doing:
  • Quitting cold turkey
  • Logging my food intake, which also doubles as a journal if I feel the need to write about food related issues
  • Mindful eating (the most hardest strategy of all IMO)
  • Chewing a ridiculous amount of gum
  • Rewarding myself with a non-food item if I go a certain period without binging
I would love to hear what others are doing to stop their binge eating. Please share.
LataJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi LataJones,

Recently, I've actually been practicing saying no. Yesterday, I said no at least 7 times to temptation. I've been trying to think of it as developing a muscle. A strange analogy. Not sure how long it will work, but if it gets me through a few days, then I'm all for it.

Good luck in your journey.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #3  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

For me mindful eating is the biggest thing. My habit used to be whenever I ate I would also be reading, talking to someone, checking my email... now I just sit and eat and don't do anything else. Usually I close my eyes -- it helps me focus on the flavor and texture of the food.

"But that's boring!" my mind protests. Well, if food is so BORING, it doesn't make much sense to want it all the time, now does it? Ha!
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180 / 137 (regained) / 100

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyra View Post
For me mindful eating is the biggest thing. My habit used to be whenever I ate I would also be reading, talking to someone, checking my email... now I just sit and eat and don't do anything else. Usually I close my eyes -- it helps me focus on the flavor and texture of the food.

"But that's boring!" my mind protests. Well, if food is so BORING, it doesn't make much sense to want it all the time, now does it? Ha!
Haha wow you hit the nail on the head here. I definitely agree with mindful eating as being pretty much the most effective technique when used successfully, but I have actually more than one problem separating it from my other activities.

It's kind of pathetic, but the ONLY time I am able to really relax and enjoy myself and quiet my anxious mind chatter is when I combine eating with reading or watching TV. Eating without an accompanying activity is a little boring and causes anxiety, and I can't concentrate on reading or watching TV if I'm not eating, because I get fidgety and start thinking about food.

Intellectually, I know that I need to cut these attachments, but the disordered eating part of my brain screams NO and panics, and I end up keeping with the same habits. I recently cut back one meal a day that I do this with though... Mindful and intuitive eating is my ultimate goal, I feel like most of my binging issues will resolve in the process.
teff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 296/269/160

Height: 5'10"

This has been a struggle for me -- stopping at just one Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwich when there are still 5 in the freezer. Most recently I ask myself the question: What inspires me? And the answer is: I want to feel good about myself. If I can keep the "I want to feel good about myself" at the forefront of my thoughts -- and drink a couple tall glasses of room temperature water -- it helps to let the urge to eat pass.

I have also found journaling the food I eat to be very helpful. It is a pain but I have proven to myself that if I journal I typically will lose 3 lbs. a week vs. no journaling and I am crossing my fingers to drop 1 lb. I am working towards journaling being part of the routine and not the pain I refer to earlier in this paragraph
StacyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #6  
Eat Petite!

S/C/G: 307/253/157

Height: 5' 6"

I count calories and in doing so, make the only rule is that I count every bite no matter what. So if I binged...I would have to take the responsibility to see it printed in black and white.

It also breaks the spell a bit. I mean, bingeing for me was secretive behaviour, something I wanted to blot out the stresses in my life and indulge in a no-restriction behavior. I can't blot anything out if I have to count the dang calories! lol.

I just say no. I never say never, because I have a tendency towards obesity and overeating. I think that will always be a part of me. I may not be able to cure myself of it, but I can control it. I can chose to live instead of eating myself to death.

Last edited by three herring; 03-31-2010 at 11:47 AM.
three herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #7  

Height: 6-1.5

I sometimes binge. My strategy is to never have binge food in the house. I don't binge on apples or carrots. It is always salty chips and snacks. I no longer buy those in a large size. If I want something like that I get a single vending machine size. I am addicted to kettle chips and cheese crackers and I could eat a whole bag/box in one sitting. I am not too into sweets. Also, I have stopped making a pot full of food, and instead make single servings for just one meal. I found I would go into the refrigerator and eat it all night, so now it is single servings only. I try not to have left-overs. I try to cook only as much as I will eat. Sometimes I will waste a little food, but to me it is better than having to pay for a triple bypass in 10 years.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8''

I am trying to incorporate the skills I have been learning in therapy to stop myself from bingeing. The book they recommended I read was Life Without Ed and I think anybody who has any kind of eating disorder should read it. It's completely changed my outlook on how to battle my bingeing problem. So right now I'm basically at the point of being mindful of everything I eat. Listening to my body and noticing what sets me off for a binge and trying to stop myself by being mindful. Definitely a work in progress but I think I'm making steps in the right direction :-)

~D~
duqserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #9  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:
•Logging my food intake, which also doubles as a journal if I feel the need to write about food related issues •Chewing a ridiculous amount of gum
These two have been my savior. I haven't had a real binge since January when I started caloried counting. I've a couple PMS induced mini binges but the were nothing compared to where I was. I have lost 20 lbs since January and really started to feel like my body is normal and this has further motivated me not to participate in a binge. Now this isn't to say that I haven't wanted to, I am still battleing that from time to time, but the key is really to never start the binge hence all the gum chewing (I'm on my second piece right now). But journaling is really really helping me.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 124/119/110

Height: 5'4"

[error]

Last edited by DogMomNP; 04-03-2010 at 09:51 PM.
DogMomNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 124/119/110

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by teff View Post
Haha wow you hit the nail on the head here. I definitely agree with mindful eating as being pretty much the most effective technique when used successfully, but I have actually more than one problem separating it from my other activities.

It's kind of pathetic, but the ONLY time I am able to really relax and enjoy myself and quiet my anxious mind chatter is when I combine eating with reading or watching TV. Eating without an accompanying activity is a little boring and causes anxiety, and I can't concentrate on reading or watching TV if I'm not eating, because I get fidgety and start thinking about food.
I feel the SAME way! I don't enjoy eating when I'm not watching TV or reading. . . I never figured how where this came from or how it started. . .
DogMomNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #12  
GoingTheDistance

S/C/G: 313/252/172

Height: 5'10"

I avoid binging by:

Not keeping any sweets or unhealthy foods in my home.
Making sure I am not hungry when I go grocery shopping.
Avoiding taking money to work so I dont use the vending machines.
Asking myself if I am hungry, or if I just feel like eating.
renstwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #13  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

I recently read the Sugar Addicts Recovery Program, and while some of the things I didn't associate with most of them completely were directed towards me. I only binge on sugary foods(cake,cookies,chocolate) and this book completely has helped me see why I'm doing it. I am 8 days without bingeing which is the longest I've gone in a while. The key for me has been making sure I'm eating enough protein at each meal. The science behind this program seems very logical. I know I will continue to stay with what I've been doing as its finally working...I hope all of you find what helps you! Everyone here has been so much of an inspiration for me and your posts have definitely helped me through so much!
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #14  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomNP View Post
I feel the SAME way! I don't enjoy eating when I'm not watching TV or reading. . . I never figured how where this came from or how it started. . .
I am the same way! and I just had a *eureka!* flash of why I am uncomfortable sitting at a table. During teenage years when my mom's alcoholism was very bad, it was THE WORST to have to sit there every night and choke down the food, into an upset stomach, because she was propping herself up (barely) and stepfather was glowering and angry.

after I got married DH and I got very casual about dinnertime, we would sit on the couch and have the TV on. Because that was so far removed from what I was used to.

LataJones, you have some very good strategies!!

I just don't keep anything 'good' in the house. The only thing we have that I could binge on is bread for toast and peanut butter. And the only thing that keeps me from binging on that, is realizing how it just puts me behind in my goal.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 156/114/108

Quote:
Originally Posted by koceank29 View Post
I recently read the Sugar Addicts Recovery Program, and while some of the things I didn't associate with most of them completely were directed towards me. I only binge on sugary foods(cake,cookies,chocolate) and this book completely has helped me see why I'm doing it. I am 8 days without bingeing which is the longest I've gone in a while. The key for me has been making sure I'm eating enough protein at each meal.
It sounds like this may be the ideal solution for me. I noticed when I went low-carb a few years ago, I never had these insatiable cravings for sweets, and I wasn't as food obsessed as I am now.

When I changed my diet and starting incorporating the "healthy carbs", I started binging with a vengeance. I fear I may be one of those people who can't tolerate any carbs whatsoever.

I am definitely going to look into this book. Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post
LataJones, you have some very good strategies!!
Thank you. I wish that I could say that I have been successful with these strategies but the last week has been quite a struggle.

Thanks everyone for posting! I am definitely getting some great ideas on how to beat this demon.
LataJones is offline   Reply With Quote