Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #1  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

Default Your stomach can explode!! ???

I just read on a couple of health websites online that your stomach can actually explode or tear from eating too much at one sitting. This may be disgusting, (so don't read the rest of this if your sensitive) but when this happens the stomach acids,food and blood come out and it actually kills you. Sometimes i eat so much when I binge (like 4000 calories), that my heart pounds and I feel so sick, but can it actually kill you? Wow, that really makes you think twice about binging doesn't it? I will always think of this now when I want to eat too much, so maybe it will help my binging problem or I will just not eat as much when i binge. Either way that's a good thing, right? Has anyone ever heard of this? I'd love to hear all of your opinions! Thanks Chicks!
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #2  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

Your stomach is equipped with 2 escape valves which will be triggered well before the point of explosion. In case you are wondering where the escape valves are, one is on the north end (resulting in vomiting) and one is on the south side (resulting in a violent BM).
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8''

I agree with honeybjones....I think your body will force you to throw it up before your stomach actually tears and the contents spill out into your abdominal cavity. However if that were to happen then yes you could most certainly die from something like that.

~D~
duqserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #4  

Ahh! Nightmare Material!
lizard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:48 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2''

In the horor movie Se7en (on the seven deadly sins), the serial killer kills the glutten by forcing him to eat until his stomach explodes. Although, if I remember correctly, he also had to hit/kick the guy to keep him eating and this could have contributed to his stomach exploding. Also, it is just a movie.
tigger175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Then there's Monty Python ... just a mint.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Explode (as in "boom") no, but yes the stomach can rupture (rare and usually associated with competitive eating situations).

A few years ago hubby and I watched a documentary about a tribal community (Africa I believe) which holds an anual "weight gain" competition ritual (men only). To win is quite an honor and sign of status (verification that the man's family and/or clan is wealthy enough to provide the food and to do without the man's labor during the several week competition).

The men who enter the contest do as little as possible (to burn the fewest calories - they lie on mats and their relatives bring them food and milk to drink). Participation in the ritual is considered a sign of bravery too, because deaths from the stomach rupturing occur frequently enough that during the ritual the participants and their families talk about the men who have died in the past. It's considered an "honorable death," because it's done for the good fortune of the clan.

I tried to google to find the name of the documentary, but I could only find references to posts of other people trying to identify it as well, such as this one.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f5/afr...h-year-404836/

Last edited by kaplods; 02-19-2010 at 12:38 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:42 AM   #8  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

It is possible to rupture your stomach. It's pretty rare tho, and I believe more associated with binging then purging than it is with straight binging.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/195/148

Height: 5'5

Ew
cheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

Yes, I've heard of this. It was once (and probably still is somehwere) used as a torture method. I have to say, I like food, but that sounds like a horrible way to go.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/225/145

Height: 5'6

It can happen. HOWEVER for it to happen you have to severely mischew your food. "The girl who swallowed a toothbrush" tales the story of a man whose stomach had reached its limit and was punctured by a Doritos. It was more of a Sharp pin meets balloon effect, but stomach explodey all the same.
Hippiechic20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It can happen with thorough chewing and without purging or having eaten "sharp" (or even solid) food. The men in the african tribe primarily (and some exclusively) are taking in milk and/or cream and they're not purging (because they want the weight gain).

It also doesn't necessarily involve movement or exercise with or without carbonated beverages (which is one of the other myths about stomach rupture - that it only happens after exercise or exercise combined with carbonated beverages).

Remember "Mikey" who was supposed to have died from a stomach rupture after eating pop rocks with cola (never happened).

It is however not something that can happen without tremendous warning signs - most notably, very severe pain. That's why it's usually only seen in competitive eating situations, because even most severe bingers usually stop eating before they're in that much pain.

People are overriding their instincts at that point, out of the desire to "win."

It's also happened with severe mental illness, primarily schizophrenia and severe OCD. Instead of the desire to win being the motivation to eat beyond discomfort and into severe pain, the motivation is the compulsion itself a dread that "something tragic and terrible will happen" if the person doesn't continue the behavior.

Even though the possibility is extremely, extremely unlikely it is a good reason not to eat past the pain threshold.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-21-2010 at 03:23 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:31 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/191/125

Height: 4'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger175 View Post
In the horor movie Se7en (on the seven deadly sins), the serial killer kills the glutten by forcing him to eat until his stomach explodes.
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread.
Morgan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #14  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

Kaplods, that sounds like the Dinka "fattening" camp. Although, the one I know about is usually before marriage...

Anyway, the only time I can think that I felt so bad from over eating ended up in VIOLENT vomiting. I'm talking about. I lay down to go to bed and then wake up and the flour is covered. The first time that happened to me I was 13 or 14 and vomitted in an entire circle in my bedroom and I couldn't hold it down for a second. The second time that happened I was about 19 and I binged on "healthy foods" (carrots, whole grain waffles, broccoli, berries, yogurt) and it ended up in a disaster and for a week after I was sick to my stomach and unable to breath without lots of pain/discomfort because my esophagus was damaged.

I would think the body would do that before it ruptured. Perhaps, it ruptures with some sort of impact to a tummy so full?
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote