Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8''

Question icecream?

So I'm debating something. I saw an ad for Edy's slow churned neopolitan icecream in a magazine that I was reading while on the treadmill this morning and I've been debating on whether or not to buy some. I honestly can't remember the last time I ate icecream because it's just not something I'd keep in the apt since it would just give me an excuse to snack on it. But MAN I have not had neopolitan icecream in forever! And per serving, 1/2 cup, it's 100 calories. So even if I have 2 scoops which would probably wind up being 1 cup, it'd only be 200 calories. And it's not COMPLETELY bad for you...it's frozen yogurt instead of actual icecream, it's got protein and calcium, ect The problem is that I'm having a good couple days and when I feel this way I feel that I can handle things and just say NO and only serve myself the alotted number of calories. But then what if my mood does a switch and I go into binge mood? Then it'll be waiting in the freezer for me to devour :-( I just don't know. I want to try to incorporate "normal" foods into my life so that when I'm surrounded by them outside of my apt I won't find myself devouring everything. What do you guys think??

~D~
duqserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Hey D! Personally, I do my best to keep potential binge foods out of my apartment. If you're really craving ice cream or frozen yogurt, why don't you go out and buy yourself a single serving at an ice cream shop? That way, you can really enjoy it and don't have to constantly think that it's in your freezer. It's much easier to succeed when you don't set yourself up to fail. I know how you feel about wanting a "normal" relationship with food, but I've come to terms with the fact that it make take years for me to get to that point or I may never get there with certain foods but that's ok. There's no need to test yourself by trying to keep ice cream in your freezer because you think you SHOULD be strong enough not to eat it and then beat yourself up when you cave in! Best to not even go there. Good luck!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

I can't keep ice cream/frozen yogurt in my house. Every time I try even if it starts out all right it ends in a binge... may not be the same for you but I know I can't do it! I'm with taking charge, I'll get a single serving somewhere or eat a scoop at a birthday party, but no frozen desserts are allowed in my freezer!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 146/139/133

Height: 5'7"

The skinny cow ice cream treats work for me because they have built in portion control. A full box of ice cream usually ends up with me and a spoon and then an empty carton...
KarenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/119/120

Height: 5'2"

Edy's ice cream also comes in single serving cups, each cup with around 150 calories. But I haven't seen neopolitan in single serve cups. They do have Vanilla and chocolate though, may be you can get one of those.
healthyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

I second what you say. Ice cream must be my biggest downfall ever. A few months into my weight loss regime, I thought I could handle a tub of the best ice cream in my freezer, but I couldn`t. I finished the whole thing, replaced it and finished that,too - lesson learnt!

What I do like (very yummy but not quite as moorish) is greek yoghurt with honey and nuts.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #7  

Thanks for the input ladies. I did see that Edy's has single serving cups but MAN I'm just REALLY craving the neopolitan! lol There's a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins close to me. I'm thinking maybe I'll go in there and ask for 1 scoop of the vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry to satisfy my craving. But honestly I don't think about it THAT much to where I'm going to make a special trip to Baskin Robbins for icecream. I also had a craving today for filafel and hummus lol So who knows maybe I'll just make Saturday my cheat day or something and satisfy my cravings...without going overboard of course ;-)

~D~
Old 10-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

I eat Breyers CarbSmart Ice Cream.. the chocolate one kicks butt .. I haven't binged on it either which is unusual for me since I'm an Ice Cream addict. They allow the CarbSmarts on the Atkins diet so I guess it isn't THAT bad.
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #9  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Smile I buy chocolate sorbet...

I buy Haagen Dazs in the small container, and I usually will put fat free cool whip on it. It is low in cals, and I certainly could not eat a half cup of it as rich as it is. But the small containers are my choice for a "just in case" for anyone in the family. I usually buy two at a time for a dessert for us, just because there are four people and one container is just enough for three.
I hope this helps.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

I second the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches. I am super picky about ice cream and I love it so much but it just has to be the right kind. I was worried about the taste of a "diet" ice cream but it is really delicious and you can't taste the difference! Like someone else said it's built in portion control and one sandwich is very satisfying.
justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #11  

ah HA! Resisted temptation ladies!!! I was in Jewel this morning doing some grocery shopping and I decided to saunter over to the icecream aisle and take a gander. When I saw that container of Neopolitan icecream it just looked HUGE. Like there was noway I could buy that for myself and eat it before it got that freezer burn on it. That and it was like $7! This is the ONLY time I'm thankful for living in the city because everything at this Jewel is so DARN expensive! So needless to say I didn't buy the icecream :-) I DID want to buy some Dole frozen fruit though to make some smoothies but it was too expensive :-( Guess I'll have to keep my eye out for the sale paper :-)

~D~
Old 10-25-2009, 02:49 AM   #12  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I kinda like what some of them said about buying it in already pre-portioned containers... I find that that helps me a lot!!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:57 AM   #13  

Yes, definitely don't want a big container. When I've bought pints, I've sailed in with a teaspoon and kept going til it was all gone. Like a thousand calories. Now, I don't buy it. If I want to treat myself to ice cream, I buy an ice cream sandwich, though these days I'm being pretty good about not snacking...

There are some foods I love that I can just eat a bit of...but ice cream and regular potato chips are two where I don't do that so well.
BlondeWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #14  

I did see the Edy's individual containers on the opposite side of the aisle by the skinny cow and weight watchers stuff. They were selling them 10/$10 so basically a dollar a container. But they don't have it in neopolitan :-( And I wasn't going to buy a couple just to buy it ya know? So the heck with it....I'm not losing any sleep over it ;-)

~D~