Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #1  

Default Any ideas for binge alternatives?

I have no idea where to post this, thought of chicks in control or depression/weight issue.. but I could definetly use some support.

How do you curb a binge, especially when youre not hungry?

Last edited by bekko; 11-29-2008 at 10:32 PM.
bekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I find something to do in place of my bingeing that doesn't include calories. I go alone somewhere by myself--even if just a room in the house. I snuggle up on my favorite couch and find something to engulf me on TV so I can "escape" for a while--sometimes a little too long. I also shop to comfort myself now--or have a massage.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #3  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I keep healthy, low-cal snacks in my house. This helps just in case I want to binge. At least I won't go completely over the top.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7

I have found for myself that it is usually some sort of negative thinking that is the trigger for my night-eating/binge.....some kind of restless, anxious thought and I seek that fullness and lovely carb induced serotonin to calm me down.

It's been a long process for me to see and understand this within myself....it is my learning curve and I am still learning....journaling has helped along with Louise Haye's book, How To Heal Your Life.

For me, becoming aware of the thoughts that trigger the night-eating/binge impulse has been so helpful.

Also, OA has a helpful acronym.....HALT....are U horny, angry, lonely or tired? This is also a good starting point to figure out the real non-food need.

thinkerbell

Last edited by thinkerbell; 11-30-2008 at 08:15 AM.
thinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #5  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

brushing my teeth and drinking water helps me....
fills me up so i cudnt possibly binge....
altho i have found if i eat higher calories one day than others....
it does tend to boost my weight loss....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #6  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I have to agree drinking lots of water during a binge helps.

also when I used to binge badly I'd often be wondering around in search of food thinking to myself 'This is awful, you are awful and fat and controlled by food. You dont want to eatt his but are going to anyway' and then I'd feel awful. Now I've learnt to just ride the storm, dont beat yourself up during or after it. Its hard but negative thoughts are a huge process in the cause and maintenence of binge eating.

Also try finding other ways to deal with your emotions. Play an instrument, sing, draw, write.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Find something else to do, preferably as busy as possible, and try to clear your head while your doing it.

Also, a lot of times going through the effort of working to make yourself up a bit- doing your hair, putting on some make-up, usually helps. If you feel good about yourself, the act of binging will seem unnatural, and it will be harder to do it.

Also, decide that if you want to eat something, you're going to sit down at the table and not do anything else. No tv, books, music. Only food and other people. Focus on the food only, and you'll eat less.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/143/138

Height: 5'73/4"

I try to just completely stay away from food if there's a binge coming on. I find something else to do, and I usually go straighten out my closet and try on clothes. That kind of keeps me more on track than anything!
westtexaschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #9  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

A great tip that I learned here on 3fc is that when you crave something or feel a binge late at night go get a glass of water. Sometimes it may take 2 OR 9 lol but it will start to fill you up, get your water intake up AND give you time to really think about what you want...
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 192/190/145

Height: 5'7"

These are great ideas! I was just getting ready to post the same kind of question when I came across this thread... Thanks, everyone.
waterski chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 146/146/128

Granted I'm not always successful at this but I too try to think what is upsetting me, what do I really need, is this food going to really meet my needs, etc. Another thing that really does help it to eat sensibly thru the day and not let myself get too hungry. I also tend to binge at night after everyone is asleep so I'll try to drink herbal tea instead. It gives me something else to do without blowing it.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote