Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 10-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/HEALTHY

Height: 5"6

Default I'm still hungry...

And I don't know what to do. I ate a sandwich, yogurt, and water and I am still hungry. What do I do? I'm trying to eat every few hours so I don't binge but for some reason I feel like I just need to keep eating.

Any advice??
Inkabetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Are you really HUNGRY or do you just want to eat? I often want to eat ... but I'm not really hungry. Take a minute and really think about what it is you're feeling. I know for me often once I realize I'm not hungry, I can make better choices.

If you think you really *are* hungry, think about the best thing to eat. Something with some protein would be best - it'll help you feel full for longer. If you *really* are hungry, have some low fat cottage cheese or a piece of string cheese or something like that. Anything with protein.

If you're not hungry - but you just want to eat, try chewing a piece of gum. A lot of times that helps me Or sip some hot tea instead of just water.

If you drink diet soda, then that might be an option. Sometimes having a diet Coke helps me - I just need the fizziness and the caffeine. If you prefer to avoid sodas, then ignore this part!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6.5

I get like this all the time!!! Peanut butter usually helps me. I get really hungry about 9AM and have an english muffin with a small amount of PB.....

If I've eaten what I am supposed to and still hungry, I slam another bottle of water and chew gum. If I'm STILL hungry and can't stop thinking about it a half hour or so later, I eat. Maybe you should be having more substance like some fruit or veggies along with your sandwich and yogart.
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Snacking on a handful of almonds or nuts helps me. Nuts release a signal to your brain of fullness. Plus it's good fat and protein.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221.8/221.8/160

Height: 5'3

Go for a walk to something and maybe you will forget it!!
scarahjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #6  
Dorm Dieter

Protein! That's what gives you the 'stick to your ribs' feeling Pack a little nutty granola bar or energy bar in your purse. If you don't like those, try the little cheap peanut butter crackers. I usually have a Quaker chewy bar on my way between classes when I'm really starving. It's only 100 calories and I stay full until lunch.

The fact that you eat every few hours actually might be the reason you're hungry. The body has trained itself to be ready to eat again relatively quickly. Try and wait as long as you can until you have a little in-between snack . Your food may just need time to settle in your stomach.
huggamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggamouse View Post
The fact that you eat every few hours actually might be the reason you're hungry. The body has trained itself to be ready to eat again relatively quickly. Try and wait as long as you can until you have a little in-between snack . Your food may just need time to settle in your stomach.

Wait... what??? I thought we were supposed to eat every few hours to keep our metabolism high. But I get what your saying and it makes sense. I'm just really confused now...
Old 10-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #8  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

alot of times when you feel hugry you are actually thirsty, so try some water first and see if your hunger goes away. If you're not actually "hungry" but just want to munch try doing something to take your mind off food, like take a long hot bath, go for a walk, paint your nails...or take a nap, that always works for me if I have after dinner munchies, have already consumed my alloted calories for the day, its just time for beddybye.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
The fact that you eat every few hours actually might be the reason you're hungry. The body has trained itself to be ready to eat again relatively quickly. Try and wait as long as you can until you have a little in-between snack .
Hm. I tend to disagree with this. I try to eat every 3-ish hours. I think it's better for your metabolism than waiting as long as you can. The longer you wait and put off eating (if you're *really* truly hungry) the more likely you are to trigger a binge (even a mini-binge).

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/HEALTHY

Height: 5"6

Thank you ladies for all your help. I will definitly try these suggestions. It really helps knowing Im not alone.

I love this place!!!
Inkabetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Hm. I tend to disagree with this. I try to eat every 3-ish hours. I think it's better for your metabolism than waiting as long as you can. The longer you wait and put off eating (if you're *really* truly hungry) the more likely you are to trigger a binge (even a mini-binge).

Thanks PC, that helps.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #12  

just another voice promoting the protein line of attack. If true legitimate 'hunger 'is the problem, I think protein is your answer here...
walrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:40 AM   #13  
=D

As far as the whole 'eating every ___ hours' thing goes - I think everyone is different, and while eating every 2-3 hours may work for a lot of people, I know that for many others it doesnt. I usually eat at 7am, 10.30(snack), 1.30pm, 6pm. I'll have an afternoon snack if I'm hungry but im usually not because I have lots of veggies and protein in my lunch.

It also depends on how fast an oxidizer you are. For example, I tend to be a fast oxidiser, so protein and healthy fats are what usually keep me full for longer. If I eat an apple, an hour later I'm hungry again, If I eat a steak, I feel energised and ready to go.

With the metabolism thing - countless studies have shown that even though it is largely dependant on your own biochemistry, when you eat your meals does not largely affect your metabolic rate as much as the other factors brought about by not eating.
It's the other ways that it affects you (increased hunger, low blood sugar) that really have the more intense effects.

Just my two cents. =]

Last edited by mazza; 10-05-2008 at 01:44 AM.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:15 AM   #14  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabetty View Post
And I don't know what to do. I ate a sandwich, yogurt, and water and I am still hungry. What do I do? I'm trying to eat every few hours so I don't binge but for some reason I feel like I just need to keep eating.

Any advice??
I see some good suggestions.

A sandwich & yogurt should have included whole grain bread, some protein, maybe some tomato and lettuce (or sprouts or spinach), and the yogurt already gave you the dairy referred. If your bread was white bread, this can make you hungry. However, unless they were in your sandwich what I don't see stated in your meal or in the suggestions are any vegetables. Vegetables are bulky for their calories and filling. So if your sandwich didn't include veggies and you're still hungry, have a salad, a side of raw veggies, some celery and hummus, or a hot veggie, or cold canned or leftover cooked veggies with a favorite salad dressing. Any of these are filling for few calories (as long as you don't go crazy with the amount of hummus or dressing).
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #15  
The beginning

S/C/G: 273/249/?

Height: 5" 6'

Good advice. I am experiencing the same problem. Right after I eat my meals I feel like I should eat something else and by the end of the day I feel very sluggish. I am trying to cut some of the carbs (whole wheat bagels and Oat bran breads). I made a minestrone soup this weekend and plan to have that for lunch with a sandwich or wrap. I also added a hard boiled egg to my breakfast for protein.
shawnee66 is offline   Reply With Quote