Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #1  

Default Middle of the night eating?

I lost about thirty pounds a year ago, and I felt great. I still had what I consider binge moments, but I was bingeing on things like watermelon or popsicles, so while it was probably slowing me down, it wasn't crippling me.

I got busy, stopped eating right, and gained it all back. Now that I'm trying to go back to my good habits, I'm finding that avoiding bad binges is harder, adn I don't know why. The most recent development is the middle of the night bingeing. The dogs wake me up to pee, so while I'm waiting for them to finish, I'm in the kitchen eating whatever I didn't let myself eat before bed. It's usually enough food to be a fourth meal. If they wake me up twice, I eat twice.

I also sometimes go through a drive thru, order way to much food, stuff myself and throw away the rest. I don't eat meat, so it's things like bean burritos, fries, veggie burgers, more fries....Sometimes I even order two drinks (a soda and a bottled water for later) so it doesn't look weird that I'm ordering two meals.

This is a relatively new problem for me and seems to be related to trying to lose weight or other things I don't feel in control of. If I'm procrastinating something and I'm stressed about it, it's even worse. I can tell myself not, but I don't listen. I'm just not sure how to get a handle on this.

Last edited by Modjeska; 09-03-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Modjeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Ok, you need to look at the causes of binging. What is it missing in your life that is making you comfort eat? How does it make you feel?

Write down all of these things, and plans to prevent them from happening, or making them worse. Try having cut up fruit/veg ready for those moments when you need to binge.

And I say this all of the time, but whatever it is your trying to smother, it's okay to feel.. you dont need food to hide it. Please let us know how it goes
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #3  

Sounds like you are getting into that "deprivation" type of "stinkin thinkin". I started having some treats just for me that make me feel pampered when I start spinning in circles and wanting "more, more more". Took a while to take a deep breath and reach for them instead of junk. Now these may not sound tasty to you, but they float my boat: special teas brewed in cups or pots that I collect from thrift shops & sugar free jello made with club soda and spooned into pretty jelly jars. On the road I have decided that it is worth it to me to get a nice iced tea or even a fast food one (they almost all carry fresh lemon if you ask) rather than ingesting a bazillion junky calories. The dogs getting up to pee at 2 am I solved by going out with them- sometimes with my comforter wrapped around me or wearing a ski parka. I have heard owls, smelled night blooming plants, seen twinkly stars, and just taken deep breaths in my secret little world while everyone else is snoring. I easily go back to sleep. Also always keep a bottle of water on my nightstand and try to drink 8 to 16 ounces per nite. Good luck- you are on a great site.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #4  

Thanks, both of you. Having something healthy on hand would probably help. I do think it's a deprivation thing. Bingeing on a bowl of cut fruit beats two peanut butter sandwiches and half a bag of chips. I always want what I can't have. But if I give myself permission to have a little, like some say, it doesn't work. I still end up eating too much.

I'm full now from dinner, but I'm thinking about making cookies. I'm on a deadline for work, and I'm procrastinating. I should be designing some signage right now, but I'll probably end up making, and eating, cookies.

I really need to get back on track.
Modjeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 164/130/118

Height: 5' 1"

Have you tried writing down what you eat and include the food you eat during the night? I think it is easy to eat in the dark or when no one is looking and not "count" that food. If you write it down, then you can keep yourself accountable.
flowerrosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #6  
To thine ownself be true

S/C/G: 143/129/120

Height: 5'4"

I have been battling night binging my whole life and I don't have a dog that wakes me as an excuse. I get up often during the night to use the bathroom and that is when I eat. I have the whole house to myself (BF is sleeping) and I just go crazy! I am able to lay down and go right back to sleep but often I raid the kitchen instead. This goes in spurts for me. I will go months without eating in the middle of the night and then BAM! I will binge at night for weeks until I get a handle on it, and I'm not real sure how I do that. You know I think I fool myself into thinking the calories don't count because it is neither yesterday or today...lol! How is that for stinkin thinkin??? In the moring I act as if it never happened. Am I sick puppy or what?

Keep on keeping on,
Carla
caloriecountingcarla is offline   Reply With Quote