Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 07:33 PM   #1  

Default never full

Hi Everyone:
I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there that never seems to be full. I can feel full but I still want to eat. Every morning when I get up I say to-day is a new day and I'm going to try again.
I need help

Georgie
Old 01-22-2002, 08:29 AM   #2  

I know exactly how you feel. I can eat a good supper here at home and then be "trolling" for food as I call it within a few minutes. I know this is head hunger and not real hunger but when you are a compulsive overeater as I am, it is hard to control the cravings. I have read all the literature and tried several weight loss plans. I would like to go to Overeaters Anon but there isn't a meeting close to me. I have read their books, and know that abstinence between meals is what I need to start accomplishing.

I guess this is a battle that is more difficult for some of us. I would be interested in reading posts from other "lurkers". I know you are out there because I have been doing the very same thing. Let's establish a going forum for us and get and give the support we deserve!!!

Elaine
Old 01-22-2002, 08:49 AM   #3  

Unhappy Count me in..

I too seem to eat eat eat... I know it's psychological, and I need to pray on this... I've read other people say they read things about telling yourself, eat only when you're hungry... Um.... Duh... That's talking to the physical me, not the mental...

I am 6 poounds away from goal weight with WW, and lately it's been a HUGE struggle...

This has been a life long problem with me... I am 36 yrs old, and still have not got a grip on this eating pattern... I love food.. I learned how to cook hamburgers and fries at age 5, but the only thing that's keeping me struggling on is that I have lost 100 lbs, and don't want to see or feel it again..

For me the only thing I know to do is just pray to God, because lately I have been getting bad about eating while full ...
Old 01-22-2002, 12:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/170/140

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hi. I have the same problem. If I would just eat when I was hungry I would probably lose all the weight that I need to in 6-9 months. Instead I eat just to eat. It is the worst for me during the day. I stay home with two of my three kids all day and I find myself eating just out of boredom or because I want to shove something in my mouth. I want to try OA meetings, but my problem is that the meetings close to me are during the day when I have my boys so I can't go. I have tried everything and I feel like I am at a loss. When I first joined this site I needed to lose 60 lbs. now I need to lose around 70 lbs. I am gaining instead of losing b/c I can't stop eating. I am only 26 years old and I don't want to go through the rest of my life fat so I know I need to get a grip and just do it, but that is easier said than done. Every morning I say today is the day I will not eat just to eat, but I do it anyway.

Well, good luck to all of you.

Daniell
Old 01-22-2002, 01:45 PM   #5  

I can completely relate to this!!! I seem to eat a large meal and then I am still thinking about what else I can have. I have found that a few things really help me with this. First, avoid eating sweets in the morning (ie donuts etc) cause once you lose that sugar high you will only want to feast on food that you don`t even like. Second, have 3 meals a day and 2-3 sanacks between meals. Try hard to make sure you have at least 1 fruit or veggie in each one of those snacks and meals. Third, come up with a plan. This is the hardest for me. Whenever I feel like overeating I try to come up with something else to do. I go for a quick walk, call a friend, paint, play on computer etc. Just have strategies for when you feel it coming on and its not meal time. Four, make sure you follow your meal times. Skipping a meal or a snack will only set you up for bingeing later on. Fifth...most important...EAT BREAKFAST!!!! So important!!!!!!!! When you wake up you have been fasting for 6-8 hours! When you are awake and you haven`t eaten for 6-8 hours you know you are hungry. When you wake up from your sleep hours you may not realize it but you are starving!!! If you just ignore it and not break the fast with breakfast you are only setting yourself up for a binge later on during the day.
I am full of ideas!! Anyone can feel free to email me and I can go on...lol
Old 01-24-2002, 05:47 PM   #6  

Hi:
Well for the last few days I have been eating only 3 meals a day with nothing in between and so far so good. Ten years ago I went to overeaters annoymous and it did help me but the new job I have now does not leave me any time to go.
I have struggled with this for over 40 years and I'm sure I have tried every weight loss gimmick out there. Sometimes it just gets me down and it is wonderful to have other people who can I can identify with.
I have gained 25 lbs. in the last two years and I panic with worry.
Thank you for all your answers.

Georgie
Old 03-13-2002, 05:56 PM   #7  
Super Star

Hey all

I saw this thread in the forum and I am so like this. I eat constantly. I think the only time I do not eat is when I am shopping or on this site. Must be a connection. What do you all think..Something about instant gratification I think. Thanks Nana for strating this thread. I thin this one is an important one. Post back some ideas. I am going to subscribe to this thread!!! Tracy
Old 03-15-2002, 09:44 PM   #8  

Smile

It's a tough battle, i know cause i have been there. One thing i have learned is that you can't punish yourself for eating. I have been to both ends of the spectrum where i starved myself and binged alot. Try to find something small but indulgent to treat yourself to every once and a while when you feel that you need something. I have learnt to pick up a book or write an email, destract myself. After i am done and i still feel the need to eat, i treat myself to my small indugent along with some fluids (water, diet pop, tea) and that seems to do until it is time to sit down for my next meal. It is really tough and upsetting when you can't determine if you are hungery or if there is an underlying emotion that is causing you the desire to eat. What ever you do though, know that you should never be ashamed of yourself, for there are many ppl out there who love and care for you, even if it doesn't seem like that.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:00 PM   #9  
Super Star

Hey crash and Burn!!

I like your words of wisdom! Plus the small indulgences are so correct. Keep posting some more. It sure picked me up today!!! Tracy
Old 03-19-2002, 01:01 PM   #10  

So glad that i could help Tracy. Take everything one day at a time and learn to do things that make yourself happy, fow when you are truly happy, you make those around you happy as well

Jennifer
Old 03-21-2002, 04:33 PM   #11  
Super Star

Hey Jennifer,

Yes I really think happiness is the key. Only problem is finding out what is making you unhappy. I have been doing some reading but sure could use some pointers on identifying the hot points that make me eat..tracy
Old 03-21-2002, 07:39 PM   #12  

Thumbs up

I my gosh I know how you all feel The food is there I can't stop eating it, sometimesI eat it so much I make myself sick.I eat for no reason. SometimesI eat just to eat because I'm bored or someone made me angry I always hate myself after.I try to control it but its hard I'm a stay at home mom I babysit that usually keeps me busy till I have a free minute.I think about food constantly even obsesively I'd say.There is no OEA around here I just wish I could find 1 person close to me who I could talk to or someone who could E-mail me and support me to loose the last 40 to 50 lb I have left. [email protected]
Old 03-22-2002, 03:20 AM   #13  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default oh my goodness.... this is me too!

hey!
Gosh... I know how ya'll feel! GGGGGGGggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! That's how I feel right now!!!

Overeating (mainly due to boredom) has been a major problem for as long as I can remember! Since Christmas I've been doing really well; staying active & eating mainly when I'm hungry. But the last few days have been SO trying for me! I'm going bonkers!

It's so weird; in the last couple months I've lost weight because I've been eating mainly when I'm hungry... so you'd think that I wouldn't want to eat all the time 'cause I'd want to keep losing weight, right? But food has been constantly on my mind this whole week! (I mean EVERY minute!)
If I didn't have you guys at this site to write to I'd be super bummed! (as it is I'm pretty bummed... but I'm trying to stay positive)

Tomorow I'm gonna get back on track!!! I almost said 'tomorow I'm gonna TRY to get back on track'... but the heck with 'trying'... I've been 'trying' for 3 days now! Tomorow I'm JUST GONNA DO IT! It's about flippin' time! ya know?

when something tastey comes to mind i'll just think; water... water... water... water... water... water... water... yummy water... wonderful, refreshing water... tastey, good water... finger-lickin'-good water!...

~Kalypso
Old 03-22-2002, 02:30 PM   #14  
Super Star

Dear Sunshine and Kalypsco!!

hey gals!! I am so glad we have a thread to post about emotional eating!!! Today was tater tot day becasue I quit my job!!! I decided that i wasnt going to work for a place where confidential conversations were broadcast down the hall!! But insteead of being happy..I pigged out at home. Why like eating was going to make me feel better??/What could I have done positively instead of eating???? Tracy
Old 03-24-2002, 06:00 PM   #15  

Hi Tracy. I think sometimes it is almost impossible to determine what in fact is making us unhappy. I have searched for years to find out why i turned to annorexia to sooth my pain. I never came up with a reason. It only added to my stress pushing me further to my disorder so i tried to start fresh each day and learned one step at a time what made me happy, then tried to encorporate more positive things into my life. Sometimes the cause is straightforward and we have the power to control it while other times it is just too complex and out of our control so i think determining that is the first step.
Jennifer
Closed Thread